Jori Lehtera involved in Cocaine Investigation

AJgoal

http://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2018/09/report-jori-lehtera-a-suspect-in-finnish-cocaine-investigation.html

The included google translate of the Finnish article is questionable in quality, but from what I can glean, some folks were arrested at his home in Finland, and he's been questioned in conjunction with the investigation. He is listed as one of 23 suspects, but charges have not been brought.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guilt or not of trafficking, this is exactly the kind of guy (who has coke at his house) that, as a GM, I wouldn't want anywhere near my players. 

Honestly, I don't know how the Flyers can *not* suspend him. You don't have 2kg of coke at your summer house without knowing about it. 

Makes the cutdown easier IMO

Also, couldn't this be a violation of his contract, therefore no dead money on the cap for cutting him ?

Edit: Maybe Jori's connections are why coach keeps him around...

As much as I want him to be guilty just so he can be removed from the Flyers organization today, I can imagine a few scenarios where he wouldn't know what is happening at a summer house.   There's that whole innocent until proven guilty thing.   Just because he's accused of something doesn't mean he actually guilty.  

Also, TIL how close St. Petersburg is to Helsinki.  

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Guilt or not of trafficking, this is exactly the kind of guy (who has coke at his house) that, as a GM, I wouldn't want anywhere near my players. 

Honestly, I don't know how the Flyers can *not* suspend  try and trade him. You don't have 2kg of coke at your summer house without knowing about it. 

I fixed it for ya. Even if he's found not guilty, just the fact that we're having this conversation tells me they have to be thinking about ridding themselves of this guy. I wouldn't want the suspicion of that kind of stuff happening floating around the team locker room. 

58 minutes ago, Digityman said:

As much as I want him to be guilty just so he can be removed from the Flyers organization today, I can imagine a few scenarios where he wouldn't know what is happening at a summer house.   There's that whole innocent until proven guilty thing.   Just because he's accused of something doesn't mean he actually guilty.  

Also, TIL how close St. Petersburg is to Helsinki.  

Does he rent his summer house  when he's not there ?

My parents do...i'll bet people have done all kinds of unsavory **** there. 

I know even regular Joes have summer places in Scandinavia so...yeah, he could be innocent.  It could be his ****-up cousin trying to bang some chicks...

I would like to cut him regardless of the outcome of the investigation. 

So if this is real could the Flyers terminate his contract similar to how the Kings handled Richards' contract?  

Not that we are in need of the cap space this year but having that extra bit sure would be nice especially if someone wants to give us a pick to take on an expiring contract to make room for another player.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Makes the cutdown easier IMO

Also, couldn't this be a violation of his contract, therefore no dead money on the cap for cutting him ?

Edit: Maybe Jori's connections are why coach keeps him around...

Let's hope.

Would love to get his 4.7 mill back....that would give the 15 mill to spend this year..........that is insane!!!!!

Ok fair enough, I may have jumped the gun in assuming he must have some knowledge of the situation if it was at his summer house. 

He could be completely clueless, which would make much more sense actually lol.

I'm not 100% sure of this, so someone help me out. If he is found guilty of possessing and/or having used cocaine. I'm assuming the Flyers are not responsible for honoring the rest of his contract, including having to count it against their cap, correct?

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I'm not 100% sure of this, so someone help me out. If he is found guilty of possessing and/or having used cocaine. I'm assuming the Flyers are not responsible for honoring the rest of his contract, including having to count it against their cap, correct?

At least in the case of a potential conviction, you would look no further than Voynov. Completely different situation, but the Kings were able to terminate his contract without penalty once he plead no contest.

But let's let this play out. As has been mentioned, it's entirely possible that his only connection to this is that the people that were arrested were arrested at his summer home. As far as I can tell, the drugs weren't even there, they were distributed at restaurants.

I guess we have to wait and see what emerges.  You can't judge him guilty without evidence, but his presence has to be unnerving to teammates.  One thing that comes to mind here is visa/immigration stuff.  I would imagine any kind of documented drug involvement overseas has to factor into his legal status here.   

Interesting case, and Hextall is correct to play his cards close to the vest until we know what's up. 

Archived