Game 28: Leafs at Flyers; 12/3/19 @ 7 PM

Howie58

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol

I think it is a bit more complicated than that, which is to say you may not have the cause and effect right.

Especially the decline in hitting. They didn't set out to "remove hitting" from the game, although the moves to deal with concussions (ban "head shots") is partly a factor. The heightened speed of the game has paradoxically made hitting, especially finishing hits and going out of your way to hit, risky, it gives up too much space, and the puck ends up in your net.  In short, it's mostly a symptom.

The game has become more like soccer. Instead of skating over and hitting someone, you fill the lane and take away passing or skating options. 

I could go on.

Is there anything more boring than soccer ...but you are right, hockey has become soccer on skates. Just think about the old days ,Leach, Barber or Leclair coming down the wing and blasting a slapshot into the net. Today other than Ovechkin on the PP you rarely see a winger have enough time and space to even take a slapshot. Even the dmen barely have a clear lane on the PP to blast away, just look at Ghost they figured him out and rendered him useless

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

, just look at Ghost they figured him out and rendered him useless

Yeah, they put him on a round room and told him to find the penny in the corner

He's not been the same since

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think the NHL has dome a splendid job of surgically removing the balls from the sport

Agreed. When I had to listen to an NHL analyst during the intermission talk about "creating a safe work environment" for players (by not having coaches yell at them) I knew the league had gone full on puss mode lol. I mean, can you imagine a coach not being able to yell at the players because it might hurt their feelings?  OMG.  😔

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't know Scotty had it in him...3rd goal in 4 games...

Flyers up 1-0 end of 2nd period.

In all honesty, this is the Laughton I was expecting when he was drafted. He was a smart skilled player before injuries laid a beating on him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

In all honesty, this is the Laughton I was expecting when he was drafted. He was a smart skilled player before injuries laid a beating on him.

He was very good tonight as was Pitlick, G, Ghost, Coots (natch), Hayes, Myers. And Hart. 

All credit goes to Gritty though.

• Haha 1

Hmm so this is what it is like to have a a real goalie, coach and a younger team.  I almost forgot what that was like. I don’t think the Flyers have had all 3 of those elements in place at the same time since 1984-1985. ( The first season I ever watched 35 long years ago).

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well I will be perfectly fine if he keeps it up.

No objections from me.

Hart 1st star TK 2nd and Giroux 3rd.

So that is 5 in a row is that a season high I can't remember.

Flyers are undefeated in December! :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

Meyers is becoming a force. He made some great passes and pinched in at the right time. I think its safe to say that our two most longstanding weaknesses,  goaltending and defense are now our top strengths and the offense is starting to pick up too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Is there anything more JVR-like than him scoring the last goal in a 6-1 win?

What kind of abortion was that at the finish?  :dizzysmiley-1:  The Leafs had so many chances to bury the Flyers in the first period and it was a close game right up until the end. 

Flyers set an NHL record for most goals scored AFTER an empty net goal.  

(Or so I'm guessing.)

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed. When I had to listen to an NHL analyst during the intermission talk about "creating a safe work environment" for players (by not having coaches yell at them) I knew the league had gone full on puss mode lol. I mean, can you imagine a coach not being able to yell at the players because it might hurt their feelings?  OMG.  😔

Its the same in the schools, the kids run the classroom  not the teacher. Its all  part of the leftist conspiracy,  the attack on masculine men, the pussification of todays generation. Its spilled over into sports with participation trophies and not listening to the coach. You have young men hanging out in coffee shops drinking soy lattes and being sensitive. We were out drinking beer and punishing ass in my day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1