Game 25: Capitals at Flyers; 3/11/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

17 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Night all, I can’t anymore tonight.

someone needs to be traded tomorrow to shake this team up or it’s more of the same the rest of this season 

Lather, Rinse, Repeat!

How Flyers management can be happy with what they're seeing out there in any phase of the game, boggles my mind. I don't care what their record currently is. It will fade fast.

Edited by FD19372

I have to wonder if having Michel Therrien behind the bench is part of the problem.  I've been watching way too much Biz Nasty and Ryan Whitney on YouTube but these two, and quite a few other ex-Penguin and Montreal players often bring up how much they hated the guy.  They don't get specific about why he sucks but he seems to be almost universally disliked by players who played for him at one time.  And it's not like Mike Yeo has an outstanding resume either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Tonight's Flyers bandwagon still has room this evening. Feel free to jump back on. 4-3.

This team is actually two come back wins from losing 7 straight games.

Turrible.

And what a night by Patrick Stefan -3 hell yeah that's the way to run that 4th bud.

I think at the end of the day this team just isn't very good.

That maybe just maybe their heralded prospects we have waiting for so long to bloom just aren’t as good as we thought.

It happens...bad projections.

They are human.

Maybe instead of acquiring a stud defenseman like I said maybe they just strip it down and try to removed some of the dead weight.

Hard to let it sink in right now that this team could lose their leading scorer to the expansion draft...

• Like 2

The time to strip it down was:

• After the disaster of 06-07: We should have spent several years sucking and stockpiling more young talent, but instead we went for the quick turnaround with big trades and free agent signings.  It actually almost worked, except it didn't.
  • After the Carter/Richards trade: the idea that the resources that came back in those trades would be able to step in and compete on the same timeline as Jagr, Timonen, etc. was insane.
  • After Hextall came in: the idea that all of Hextall's picks and prospects were going to be ready on the same timeline as Giroux, Voracek, Simmons etc. was insane.

The Flyers are always half-pregnant and haven't stripped it down since 1967.

It might help if a single player they drafted in the last five years was a superstar, but not even Provorov is one. 

• Like 2

I'm happy to see folks finally waking up to reality.  As a Phantoms season ticket holder from Day One I continually saw nothing more than mediocrity on the farm team.  That's over seven years now.  The alleged great prospect pool never came off the way the local sports media hyped it up to be.  Here and there one would see a better than average young player but not once did I see someone dominate at the AHL level (Other than some of the over-the-hill veterans like TJ Brennan and Phil Varone).  Meanwhile the Phantoms' competition fielded players that went on to become solid NHL regulars.  How the hell does Pittsburgh trade away all their first rounders yet still find talent and remain competitive?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I'm happy to see folks finally waking up to reality.  As a Phantoms season ticket holder from Day One I continually saw nothing more than mediocrity on the farm team.  That's over seven years now.  The alleged great prospect pool never came off the way the local sports media hyped it up to be.  Here and there one would see a better than average young player but not once did I see someone dominate at the AHL level (Other than some of the over-the-hill veterans like TJ Brennan and Phil Varone).  Meanwhile the Phantoms' competition fielded players that went on to become solid NHL regulars.  How the hell does Pittsburgh trade away all their first rounders yet still find talent and remain competitive?

They have Crosby and Malkin that's how. Once those guys move on the Penguins are going to be in for a long rebuild. Why do you think Hexy was hired? They know it's coming and he's been through it before.

I will never understand the Flyers defensive zone coverage. I have always preached to any team I've coached is take away time and space in the D zone. Make the other team uncomfortable.  It doesn't matter what age group I've coached. The Flyers do the opposite. They give time and space. I love how Washington was playing in their own zone. The Flyers had no time to think. That's what you want. You want the other team to make plays they don't want to make. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I will never understand the Flyers defensive zone coverage. I have always preached to any team I've coached is take away time and space in the D zone. Make the other team uncomfortable.  It doesn't matter what age group I've coached. The Flyers do the opposite. They give time and space. I love how Washington was playing in their own zone. The Flyers had no time to think. That's what you want. You want the other team to make plays they don't want to make. 

Is it possible that despite all the talent in the world for example, great skating, good passing skills to go with soft hands the one thing these kids/prospects don't have is the hockey IQ to be able to see the play and maybe understand where the puck is going to go and then know where they need to be. Basically just being able to process the information in a quick enough manner to properly execute their job within the system.

I am not saying that is the reason for what we are seeing but it could have a hand it.

And then it gets compounded by several players on the ice at the same time struggling with this.

14 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I noticed watching the game last night, there were times in the offensive zone when the Flyers were attacking had the goalie moving, a rebound would be available but not one of the Flyers could get there sticks on the puck. The d and forwards were A probably holding their sticks, but more importantly B had their business tied up in the Flyer's players triangle . 

I see this with the Pens and Bruins too, teams do not get in that high chance areas vs those teams without being engaged physically. 

the Flyers do not seem to to do this.

My question is why the hell not? Is it a coaching thing? "we want you to get the puck"?

Last night too many errors wound up behind Elliott the boys made a bunch, but 3 goals were a direct result of bad decisions and lazy pursuit. 

This team is struggling right now and it hasn't been fun to watch.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

I don't think the Flyers youth is as bad as they look this year. Last year at this time they were looking pretty damn good as a matter of fact. Konecny was the leading scorer. Provorov/Sanheim/Myers were looking like part of a solid top 4. Hart was easily our #1. Farabee looked good ( still does) Lindblom looked good until the big C. NAK looks like a good 3rd liner.

I think the entire team has lost it's confidence. 

• Like 3

First problem is the Flyers D is soft. That's one thing Niskanen brought was he played guys tough in front of the net. Right now I wouldn't be scared to stand in front of the Flyers net. I think I would take more abuse in Rec hockey than from the Flyers D.  How many times this year have we watched a goal against the Flyers where the D was no where to be found. Ghost is a prime example. He gets boxed out every play. That's a strength issue to me. Another issue in the D zone is the wingers don't come down far enough on the boards. The D literally have no options to pass to sometimes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think the Flyers youth is as bad as they look this year. Last year at this time they were looking pretty damn good as a matter of fact. Konecny was the leading scorer. Provorov/Sanheim/Myers were looking like part of a solid top 4. Hart was easily our #1. Farabee looked good ( still does) Lindblom looked good until the big C. NAK looks like a good 3rd liner.

I think the entire team has lost it's confidence. 

I think it's going to take Lindblom a long time to regain his form. Rightfully so. But he looks like a fraction of his old self.

• Like 1

Just now, albertaflyer said:

First problem is the Flyers D is soft. That's one thing Niskanen brought was he played guys tough in front of the net. Right now I wouldn't be scared to stand in front of the Flyers net. I think I would take more abuse in Rec hockey than from the Flyers D.  How many times this year have we watched a goal against the Flyers where the D was no where to be found. Ghost is a prime example. He gets boxed out every play. That's a strength issue to me. Another issue in the D zone is the wingers don't come down far enough on the boards. The D literally have no options to pass to sometimes.

Well said. I'd love to dispute that but I can't.

It is what they have become.

In fact it is what AV said he sat Myers for.

He isn't being physical on the puck 6-5 230 pounds playing like he is 5-9 170.

And the same goes for Sanheim he is as soft as a full baby diaper.

And in Travis' case I don't think it will ever change.

Some guys just don't want to mix it up.

And what can you do to force it?

I'd rather have to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitten.

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

s it possible that despite all the talent in the world for example, great skating, good passing skills to go with soft hands the one thing these kids/prospects don't have is the hockey IQ to be able to see the play and maybe understand where the puck is going to go and then know where they need to be. Basically just being able to process the information in a quick enough manner to properly execute their job within the system.

The one thing the Flyers have supposedly been drafting for the last five years has been hockey IQ (i.e. players that play a 200ft game, etc.), cause they certainly haven't been drafting for speed, skating, and skill.

11 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

The one thing the Flyers have supposedly been drafting for the last five years has been hockey IQ (i.e. players that play a 200ft game, etc.), cause they certainly haven't been drafting for speed, skating, and skill.

Well it doesn't look like it to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it doesn't look like it to me.

Same here, and the problem, as someone else pointed out, could be that the assistants like Therrien, aren't doing a good job. Some of the scouts may not be, either. Also, of course I'm beating a dead horse and being redundant, but the veterans on the ice have to help these young guys develop. They need another GOOD to GREAT veteran presence on the blueline. Hockey IQ is great, but part of that is obtained from learning from others that have good experience, at the NHL level. They need someone a bit more impactful than Gustafsson and Braun.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FD19372 said:

How Flyers management can be happy with what they're seeing out there in any phase of the game, boggles my mind. I don't care what their record currently is. It will fade fast.

Its a business. They are still making money regardless of the product on ice

• Like 1