State of the Flyers

Samifan

I stole this from Bill Meltzer’s article this morning because I found it spot on.

The team's issues right now, however, are beyond reshuffling the deck in the starting lineup. There's not a single defensive pairing right now that is providing stabilizing shifts on the back end. Back checking support is spotty. Puck management and reads are a tire fire. Forechecking pressure and puck possession wavers wildly from period to period. Both goalies are struggling. On a virtual night-to-night basis, the Flyers need to score five or six goals to win. 

A trade for a single veteran D-man won’t fix this team. Ride it out, miss the playoffs, see who ends up in Seattle and then go from there. Everyone not named Coots, Hart, Provorov or Farabee are fair game to depart this organ-eye-zay-schun 

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

26 minutes ago, Samifan said:

There's not a single defensive pairing right now that is providing stabilizing shifts on the back end.

Never seen anything like what we have seen...

...guys just completely forgetting how to play their position they were drafted play.

They look worst than when Dave Hakstol was their head coach.

I mean they got beat by Gord Murphy wasn't it??

HTF is this even possible??? I think it will be time to blow this roster up this offseason.

Move these prospect out to other teams so they can waste their time waiting for these kids to show some sort of turning the corner of developing....i mean they didn't even have a goddamn coaching staff....man so embarrassing...they are at the bottom of the barrel right the bottom. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Samifan said:

A trade for a single veteran D-man won’t fix this team.

Folks need to stop looking like one guy is saving this club....it ain't going to happen.

But if you can move one of these bums out off the blueline and replace them with Ekholm that is a win.

And in my eyes it is time to start talking about Sanheim and Myers too. F**K all this waiting for these clowns to show some semblance of knowing WTF they are doing....it is time to look at everything.

Get me Ekholm and that is a start moving in the right direction.

It is hard enough to finish -5 in a game but i mean godamn you are -5 halfway through a game.

I'm done with this f**King team.....and please can we trade Patrick before we all find out he is a fraud.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

This organization is, and maybe not slowly, going to alienate every Flyers fan under the age of 60. We loyal Flyers fans deserve better than this crap.

Greetings:

I am 63, and it offended me.  But, as I've said here before, the question is whether I live to see another Cup?

Last night's implosion may be important and "confirmatory."  I suspect no amount of coaching will alleviate the frustration of pieces that aren't working well.  Perhaps we saw that last night, with players throwing in the towel, just as the Rangers, without their head coach, may be seeing their potential on the way up. 

There's a lot to unpack here, including a reality that our D prospects aren't what they've been cracked up to be.  If we are sellers before April 12th, so be it.

Sounding the beaten horse, I think we saw a glimpse of this against MTL and NYI last year.  As some pundits have noted, a new coach getting buy-in got over-achievement. But that wears off--I think Dallas is another example this year.  Now the frayed edges come through.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

50 minutes ago, Samifan said:

A trade for a single veteran D-man won’t fix this team.

Well to me and my eye test it seems like the lost of one single D man caused this whole team to forget how to play team hockey.....so WTF not see if one guy can't jar their f**king memory!!!!!!!!!

Just blow it up....fire sale today.....no more waiting....

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

There's a lot to unpack here, including a reality that our D prospects aren't what they've been cracked up to be.  If we are sellers before April 12th, so be it.

They might not be, but for God's sake, let's give them a legit chance to play with competent, skilled veteran defensemen before we completely write them off. This organization is not properly managing these young kids. Get veterans in here, who can show them the right way to play.

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

THIS!!!

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

THIS!!!

Get Ekholm and another veteran d man in here. If that doesn't help these kids develop at all, move those young d men. To me, it's that simple. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

What sucks this year is somehow the Flyers will drop into the lottery and no one will know who to pick because no body is playing this year. Seems about right for the Flyers. Every time they suck it's a crappy draft year.

Seems to me like this is the year to move that first round pick.

DO IT AND STOP WAITING ON THE FUTURE. NOW MATTERS TOO.

These kids to me just don't have it. They don't. Move on why they have value if you can.

3 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

What sucks this year is somehow the Flyers will drop into the lottery and no one will know who to pick because no body is playing this year. Seems about right for the Flyers. Every time they suck it's a crappy draft year.

Yeah not a great draft year. 2022 is when you want to be tanking

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So what you're saying is...Flyers will be picking 1st overall this year!

No they would get 2nd overall again...i'm sure there is some over rated bum they can find who can't stay healthy...

• Like 1

There is talent in every draft, some more than others. You need scouts who can find it, player development, and leadership on and off the ice. Flyers currently have none of the above. There is talent on this team, they are just not a good sum of their parts. And obviously no accountability or ownership by the players or coaches. They continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over again. That screams "I don't care".

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

There is talent in every draft, some more than others. You need scouts who can find it, player development, and leadership on and off the ice. Flyers currently have none of the above. There is talent on this team, they are just not a good sum of their parts. And obviously no accountability or ownership by the players or coaches. They continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over again. That screams "I don't care".

They don't have the type of talent needed to play AV's system. You need speed and size to play his system. The Flyers have some size but I don't know about the speed. Can someone tell me what happened to TK.  Kid has such skill but has been missing in action for a year now.  There's got to be something going on there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seems to me like this is the year to move that first round pick.

DO IT AND STOP WAITING ON THE FUTURE. NOW MATTERS TOO.

These kids to me just don't have it. They don't. Move on why they have value if you can.

yup it's time to trade for young proven impact players, we need a young new core. we have to trade for it not wait for it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

They don't have the type of talent needed to play AV's system. You need speed and size to play his system. The Flyers have some size but I don't know about the speed. Can someone tell me what happened to TK. And Hart. And Provorov. And Sanheim. And Myers. And Ghost. And Patrick.  Kid has such skill but has been missing in action for a year now.  There's got to be something going on there.

Fixed.

33 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

They don't have the type of talent needed to play AV's system. You need speed and size to play his system. The Flyers have some size but I don't know about the speed.

WTF are you talking about that is what i have been sold on for years for keeping Sanheim (6-3) and Myers (6-5) around for.

Stop making excuses just say those two are dumb as a box of rocks. They have speed and size.

Ivan 6-1 Hagg 6-2 even Braun is 6-2.

What you need to say guys with speed and size and who know how to use it. And guys who are smart.

And the Flyers have a bunch of dumb ass players pure and simple and they are as soft as buttered toast.

I know why don't we just blame the coaching staff that is the easiest thing to do fire them no need to hold these millionaires accountable.

Two guys i would love Myers and Sanheim to play like???

Adam Pelech (6-3) and Ryan Pulock (6-2) that is a good starting point.

Watch those two tonight if you want to have an idea of how they should work together.

I might have just jinxed them...i don't care.

Sorry i am not mad at you just this team if it comes across that way not intended...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

On 3/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, Samifan said:

I stole this from Bill Meltzer’s article this morning because I found it spot on.

The team's issues right now, however, are beyond reshuffling the deck in the starting lineup. There's not a single defensive pairing right now that is providing stabilizing shifts on the back end. Back checking support is spotty. Puck management and reads are a tire fire. Forechecking pressure and puck possession wavers wildly from period to period. Both goalies are struggling. On a virtual night-to-night basis, the Flyers need to score five or six goals to win. 

A trade for a single veteran D-man won’t fix this team. Ride it out, miss the playoffs, see who ends up in Seattle and then go from there. Everyone not named Coots, Hart, Provorov or Farabee are fair game to depart this organ-eye-zay-schun 

You stole it from Metzler and he stole it from me, I have been saying this for weeks.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, Samifan said:

I'm not looking to "fix the team". I'm trying to keep my 20 year old goalie (hopefully, for the next 10+ years), alive.

• Like 3

Do you shut down Provorov and Couturier ?

Both those guys look "not well".

I can't see this group "turning a corner". 

Do we think COVID makes it more difficult to rotate players from LHV to the Flyers to see how guys like Konecny and Lacszynski might mesh?

I really think Couturier could use time off, same with Provorov, time to save the powder with those two?