What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

1 hour ago, radoran said:

By the end of Hextall, they had homegrown players galore and desperately needed some outside seasoning.

It was great to build up a talented series of prospects on the blue line, for example, but those are also assets you need to evaluate and in some cases deal to get what you need.

I think it's absolutely great that the front office, including their former GM Hextall, decided to build up their farm system. They needed to. HOWEVER, they just parted ways with Scott Gordon. That doesn't exactly display an abundance of confidence in the way the players are playing and developing, nor in the way they are being coached, to eventually become NHL players.

• Like 4

Just now, FD19372 said:

I think it's absolutely great that the front office, including their former GM Hextall, decided to build up their farm system. They needed to. HOWEVER, they just parted ways with Scott Gordon. That doesn't exactly display an abundance of confidence in the way the players are playing and developing, nor in the way they are being coached, to eventually become NHL players.

Yes. It's not the players we draft. It's what we do to them once they're in the system. They suck the life out of them. And in many cases, they do tend to recover some once they leave.

The Flyers are like my wife is with plants.

...And husbands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes. It's not the players we draft. It's what we do to them once they're in the system. They suck the life out of them. And in many cases, they do tend to recover some once they leave.

The Flyers are like my wife is with plants.

...And husbands.

LOL Dear Mrs. Ruxpin......

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I take the Gordon/Huffman departure as another indication they plan to break away from the old way of doing things. We will now see in this off season, what Chuckie will do to make this truly his team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

There's a happy medium between "trade all the draft picks" and "have nothing but draft picks".

I know i'm just way to gone with the bourbon and being facetious...i know taking @ruxpin job just don't be mad at me ur....uh don't tell him. #vacation

:beer:

2 hours ago, radoran said:

one just hopes it's more even than, say, "Williams for Markov" or "JVR for Schenn".

It is imperative...

...if not the wrong move could set them back to being 4 years away from being 4 years away...

...and they'd be better off standing pat and riding it out another year. I can't believe i just typed that.

Someone is going to report me for that.....anyways i'm jumping in the pool. 

🏝️

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

They needed to. HOWEVER, they just parted ways with Scott Gordon. That doesn't exactly display an abundance of confidence in the way the players are playing and developing, nor in the way they are being coached, to eventually become NHL players.

And I get that, sure. But Scott Gordon isn't why Patrick didn't develop to plan. Or Konecny took a step back this year. Or Provorov hasn't become the #1 shutdown guy. Or Gotstobehere has been inconsistent. None of them played for Gordon (Ghost got in a handful of games in Gordon's first season).

Sanheim had one 40 point season in Lehigh Valley. Myers had 58 points in 109 AHL games.

They definitely needed to be implementing a similar system across the organization* to help at all levels of development. But they had fifteen draft picks playing significant time on the roster this season - many of whom had success last year. That doesn't speak to a system that can't develop players into the NHL. It speaks to me of an organization* that simply picked the wrong centerpieces to build around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

And I get that, sure. But Scott Gordon isn't why Patrick didn't develop to plan. Or Konecny took a step back this year. Or Provorov hasn't become the #1 shutdown guy. Or Gotstobehere has been inconsistent. None of them played for Gordon (Ghost got in a handful of games in Gordon's first season).

Sanheim had one 40 point season in Lehigh Valley. Myers had 58 points in 109 AHL games.

They definitely needed to be implementing a similar system across the organization* to help at all levels of development. But they had fifteen draft picks playing significant time on the roster this season - many of whom had success last year. That doesn't speak to a system that can't develop players into the NHL. It speaks to me of an organization* that simply picked the wrong centerpieces to build around.

what centerpieces? you mean sanheim and myers?

8 hours ago, radoran said:

I knew once I saw Giroux and Ottawa in the mix that "assets" were going to make an appearance somewhere.

In a pinch, y'all are so predictable... I can't police everything around here.

I reckon I'm not understanding what you're saying here because. I didn't laugh nor learn anything.

This thing isn't happening, but, players are coming back from a deal with Ottawa which ones?

amirite?

It's not to Ott: Giroux to Phi: 6 Bauer vapor nexus sticks.

Edited by mojo1917

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I reckon I'm not understanding what you're saying here because. I didn't laugh nor learn anything

Ottawa 

Giroux

Cop "ASSets"

@radoran is still in junior high 

Get it now?

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 2

3 hours ago, radoran said:

. That doesn't speak to a system that can't develop players into the NHL

Does this mean more that the NHL has adjusted to AV's system and he had no counter??

Just playing Devil's advocate...and asking aloud because i am not smart enough hockey wise to know the true answer to this and i know you may not be able to either....just asking in general.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just playing Devil's advocate...and asking aloud because i am not smart enough hockey wise to know the true answer to this and i know you may not be able to either....just asking in general.

for a friend?

On 5/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I know i am trying very hard to toughen you up....not having much success which means you are perfectly soft and ready to play defense for my beloved Flyers...so make sure you get ready for training camp...are you a left or right hand shot??

:BrownBag:

Maybe you need to sign coach up at the Kobra Kai dojo....no mercy.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CoachX said:

for a friend?

Sure as long as i get an answer....we can say that. Trying a new bourbon tonight.

image.jpeg.648d551eedf21241b6077b75e7616c25.jpeg

Because my neighbor went to school with one of these two stars i forget which one.

Ask me again in the morning.....not bad bourbon i will say....tanked me fo sho....

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe you need to sign coach up at the Kobra Kai dojo....no mercy.

Good one.....Ralph Macchio would be proud. Maybe we can get him on in season 4 in a cameo.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

reckon I'm not understanding what you're saying here because. I didn't laugh nor learn anything.

It was an arresting topic I'm confident you can get to the bottom of.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

It was an arresting topic I'm confident you can get to the bottom of.

If you even care...no sh it i am having to research this as i drink it.  Any ways it is from a vampire movie or series or something...

https://brothersbondbourbon.com/

...if you don't care then don't bother but not bad.....tell me what you think if you can get a hold of it.

I think you are a connoisseur of bourbon.........no?

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Does this mean more that the NHL has adjusted to AV's system and he had no counter??

I do think you bring up an interesting point here. Any coach who follows a strict system, or who more or less tends towards similar things, will eventually run into other coaches who have studied him enough to have a good sense of what works against that system.

At that point, two options become available: one, the coaching staff finds a way to adjust and find success in other ways; two, elite players find a way to make those adjustments on the fly and score anyway.

In my view, the second option there is definitely the preferable one (assuming you don't have both). It would mean that no matter the coach, the team will be able to adjust. It would also allow for tweaks to gameplay on the ice as opposed to having to go from vision to planning to teaching to implementation. The road is shorter, meaning the outcome will almost certainly be more efficient.

The NHL has players who can do this very well of course (Crybaby). It's worth noting there are also a number of players who are very productive, but who seem to lack the ability to make these kinds of adjustments (Ovechkin). I'd be curious to follow the remaining slate of playoff contenders to see where they fit in this picture. I bet that kind of lens would actually make quite a bit of sense in a number of cases.

Edited by elmatus

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I hope all is well.  Here is a take on three departures based on an assumption the core is the problem:

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-should-cut-ties-3-notable-players/

Thanks for sharing. Yep and those 3 names shock none of us hopefully. I really hate to see Ghost tied up in all this. It is sad he has struggled through all these coaching changes and my gut tells me where he is shipped he will have success and we will hate it. But it isn't like he didn't get his chance here.

Hard to believe a defenseman who will give you 9 goals (which led the team) and 11 helpers wasn't claimed on waivers even but it is obvious as to all of us he is not worth 4.5 mill per season. 3-3.25 mill and i think he gets snagged...in today's tight cap it matters. I wish him well and i have followed him since watching him win it all at Union on ESPN. It just didn't turn out like i envisioned.

I wish him well on his journey wherever it may take him. I would prefer to move him out West where he can haunt the Flyers the least...hopefully.

JVR and Jake i can't say the same for. Good riddance. Not sure how Chuckles will find a taker on those two. I think there is a slight chance Seattle find interest in their services either one depending on who else they select could very well at least slot in on their 2nd lines on either wing.

Regardless even if you had to pick up salary you move those three. I know there is no way you would want to pick up half of their salaries in a drastic measure to move on but if you even did that it could free up 9.75 mill which would be plenty to find your top pair defenseman to go with Ivan.

As i said i would prefer to pick up around 2 mill on each of their contracts a piece....so realistically that would leave around 11.5 mill to go with their already projected 12.2 mill and give them 23.7 to make over the roster some.

Most notably having to find a backup goalie with Elliott bound for retirement.  The big two that need new deals are Hart and Sanheim. Big decisions on those two. Morin i reup he is cheap.

The guys in their last years looking for extensions include Coots, Giroux, NAK, Farabee and Twarynski (whom may be left to walk).

And that well brings us to the popular elephant in the room one Nolan Patrick and what to do with him.

Ugh....i already need a drink.

Headed to the Lake to day ready to put this out of my mind for a few days. 

Chuckles has to put on his big boy pants and roll up his sleeves because it is time to earn his keep.

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I do think you bring up an interesting point here.

I know it is why i hated to even bring it up because it feels like we would be letting the players off the hook which i don't want and i am tired of this merry go round at head coach. I want some stability and well the dead honest truth regardless if we like it or not is both can be true.

Yes i said it.

But it is true both can be true the players suck and need to go and the staff suck and need to go as well. I am glad i myself don't have to make the call...but you would think the front office has more knowledge of what goes on behind close doors that may have happened to just at some point made this team as a whole just collectively go in the garbage from a good hockey play stand point.

As long as i have watched the Flyers i have never seen this much talented homegrown talent along with a mix of vets just collectively as a whole just go in the shi tter from the goalie to the equipment guy.....someone please fix this fast. I don't know where to begin.

:beer:

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good one.....Ralph Macchio would be proud. Maybe we can get him on in season 4 in a cameo.

Do I get to hook up with Elizabeth Shue?