Players you want Fletch to get this off-season

tucson83

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Though regular season PTS are nice, ultimately I want to see a player who is going to elevate their game during the Playoffs.  For me personally, Johnny hockey is a hard NO.

It's hard in the playoffs if you're a one line team, because teams can focus most of their energy on shutting you down - which is what often happened to Giroux. Calgary needs more depth to be a playoff power.

Also, guys with big power play numbers tend to have trouble translating that into the playoffs where there are simply fewer penalties called. About 1/4 of Gaudreau's career goals (40 of 168) and 30% of his points come with the man advantage.

Gaudreau's a nice player, but he'd be expensive to acquire and has one year left on his contract at $6.75M. Likely expensive to re-sign as well...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

agree ..... I'd have to do some research but I'm curious to see who his line-mates were...

Yep exactly what I was getting at. And not only his line-mates but what did the Flyers' 2nd and 3rd look like during those runs? Also the Flyers' goaltending has been either crazy-good but totally out-of-the-blue - and then went bust (Leighton) or it was pretty sub-par IIRC. I don't remember who was back there most of Giroux's PO years...Mason...Emery...Bryzgalov? Forgetting a few. But anyway yeah Giroux is no PO hero but there were some extenuating circumstances - at least sometimes.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

For me personally, Johnny hockey is a hard NO.

Yeah a lot of that is from playing with a soft guy like Monahan.

I would trade deck chairs though just to move one for another. I am flat worn out looking at this deck chair.

Jakub Voracek for Johnny Gaudreau....and something that evens it out.

Give Hayes a winger he is familiar with and removes the Ginger floater!!!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would trade deck chairs though just to move one for another. I am flat worn out looking at this deck chair.

if gaudreau comes here on a reasonable deal, i would have no problems getting him. other things that concern me though is our depth scoring, third and fourth lines are doing nothing, our defense is complete joke. i dont think the solution is overpaying a defenseman and a forward is going to fix this because our younger players have shown nothing and that probably means bringing in alot of forward and defensive depth in terms of experience and fit. it's just how bad this team is right now.

it's such a mess of who to keep and what not to keep.

Edited by tucson83

Ask and you shall receive ......

image.png.4c9424e5e09c07fe75ecd2af81827ad6.png

here are his PO stats .... and as you alluded to he has 0.63 PTS/game.  In 2 playoff series he had ZERO goals.  Though regular season PTS are nice, ultimately I want to see a player who is going to elevate their game during the Playoffs.  For me personally, Johnny hockey is a hard NO.

Im not saying I want Gaudreau. At this point though,  anyone else is a better option un my mind.

But...lets be fair. He put up gooseeggs (goals) in 2 PO, but 4g, 11games, and 4 goals, 10 games in the other. 9pts in 11 and 7pts in 10 looks good to me

51 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

our younger players have shown nothing

Konecny was a 24/~50 player for two seasons and potted 24 in 66 (project to ~30) before the world stopped last year.

Provorov was/is on pace for ~40 points LY and this year.

Farabee projects this year to a ~25 goal scorer.

Hart still has the potential to be the franchise goalie.

And we really don't know what they have in Frost and Allison. Foerster has been productive in Lehigh. Patrick, for all his problems, is only 22.

It certainly something that needs consistency going forward, but that's not nothing.

To your point, I don't think that means they are a forward and a defenceman away from Cup competitors. At this point they're still looking two years away from being two years away...

But there are worse foundations to build on.

The organization* just desperately needs a better perspective on where they are and where they can go.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

if gaudreau comes here on a reasonable deal, i would have no problems getting him. other things that concern me though is our depth scoring, third and fourth lines are doing nothing, our defense is complete joke.

I wonder if we could creative and include Rasmus Andersson in the deal.

Jake

Myers

Patrick

for 

Gaudreau

Andersson

Now we can tweak it in some of course i want to make it fair for both sides.

Not sure if this is good for both sides. Or if they prefer Sanheim in Myers place??

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if we could creative and include Rasmus Andersson in the deal.

Jake

Myers

Patrick

for 

Gaudreau

Andersson

Now we can tweak it in some of course i want to make it fair for both sides.

Not sure if this is good for both sides. Or if they prefer Sanheim in Myers place??

i guess it really depends who they want more when it comes to sanheim or myers.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Im not saying I want Gaudreau. At this point though,  anyone else is a better option un my mind.

But...lets be fair. He put up gooseeggs (goals) in 2 PO, but 4g, 11games, and 4 goals, 10 games in the other. 9pts in 11 and 7pts in 10 looks good to me

I know a few things..(1) We have seen Voracek's ceiling, and it isn't as high as this franchise has valued it to be. He is a greater liability on this team, than he is a plus. He takes too many plays off mentally, and physically.(2) I would like a big winger who can skate to play on that first line, but it's not a must. You can sprinkle some respectable big, physical wingers throughout the lines. (3) Gaudreau adds speed to this team, which it desperately needs. Will it take time for him to have chemistry with Coots or Giroux? Sure.

Calgary has been a one line team for a while, so I don't put a lot of stock in his playoff stats. Mangiapane has been on that first line, so they could spread a little more production throughout the lines, and they put Lindholm on that second line. Johnny G gets keyed on by his playoff opponents, so I have to factor that in. Giroux might get pissed if his drinking buddy, Jake, is gone...I don't care. Giroux hasn't done enough for this franchise, for him to dictate if Voracek leaves. I repeat what I've said before, if G wants to leave because they get rid of Voracek and that salary, fine. Thanks for your contribution, Claude. I know Gaudreau's salary won't be that much easier on the cap, than Voracek's..but this team needs an infusion of new blood. Fletcher, Holmgren and the rest need to "man up" and recognize that there needs to be changes.

Edited by FD19372

19 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Gaudreau adds speed to this team, which it desperately needs. Will it take time for him to have chemistry with Coots or Giroux? Sure.

My stab in the dark is to put him with Hollywood and hope they can rekindle some Hobey Baker college magic...

...for the sake of just trying to utilize assets as well audition an upcoming interested free agent so why wait.

All while removing some dead weight. I'm not sure Calgary will like that whole deal.

I think Johnny and Kevin can make a nice line. Who would be their RW is not clear but can be worked out.

I'm not sure if Andersson is the guy for if anything else maybe he and Sanheim make a nice second pair.

• Like 2

another way of doing this and this is not going to be liked by alot probably the only way for this work is to get short term stars by looking for teams that are looking to unhook their star player vets for example keith, kane, kopitar, dustin brown,doughty, zach p, suter im sure fletch will not take full salary and teams will take half salary to move them so it might work because of the younger star players might cost too much to acquire, that's why im suggesting this until a younger star reaches fa and we can go after him without tanking for 20 years for one.

Edited by tucson83

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I know a few things..(1) We have seen Voracek's ceiling, and it isn't as high as this franchise has valued it to be. He is a greater liability on this team, than he is a plus. He takes too many plays off mentally, and physically.(2) I would like a big winger who can skate to play on that first line, but it's not a must. You can sprinkle some respectable big, physical wingers throughout the lines. (3) Gaudreau adds speed to this team, which it desperately needs. Will it take time for him to have chemistry with Coots or Giroux? Sure.

Calgary has been a one line team for a while, so I don't put a lot of stock in his playoff stats. Mangiapane has been on that first line, so they could spread a little more production throughout the lines, and they put Lindholm on that second line. Johnny G gets keyed on by his playoff opponents, so I have to factor that in. Giroux might get pissed if his drinking buddy, Jake, is gone...I don't care. Giroux hasn't done enough for this franchise, for him to dictate if Voracek leaves. I repeat what I've said before, if G wants to leave because they get rid of Voracek and that salary, fine. Thanks for your contribution, Claude. I know Gaudreau's salary won't be that much easier on the cap, than Voracek's..but this team needs an infusion of new blood. Fletcher, Holmgren and the rest need to "man up" and recognize that there needs to be changes.

You been drinking?  lol

8f4dd118-e461-4554-a0c8-0cd1f183cc83_1.c

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My Game of thrones shirt says the same thing. It's all black I wear on goth day in my house.

Flyers still suck. How does this help?

There are two ways to approach change in any situation...you can change the external, which isn't happening here as we have no say in the Flyers or-gan-IZE-ation, or you can change the internal, which is what drinking does, helps tolerate the SUK. 😎     

CHEERS!   :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 11:46 AM, OccamsRazor said:

that's what i mean they need chemistry players and not just going after the best players.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:30 AM, OccamsRazor said:

It is if he is a key piece.

You can't just plant all these seeds and expect them to all bloom at the same time and same rate and expect them all to collectively accomplish the main goal.

However you need experience to help guide the youth along the way. 

So in my opinion it starts with the foundation which I think is shaping up.

Hart

Couturier 

Hayes

Provorov

Farabee

Koencny

Allison

Lindblom

Laughton

NAK

Sanheim

Myers 

Morin

I want to put Patrick there but a solid base.

So it needs filling out.

4 spots along the forward group.

4 D men.

So who fills that out who of the not listed is what can shape it further.

Giroux

Voracek

JVR

Ghost

Hagg

Braun

Pieces I call around hard to try and move.

I got the safe option and offer Savard a 5 year deal and plug him along side Ivan.

And if you can't move Ghost this wouldn't be the world's worst.

Provorov - Savard

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hakanpää

Morin

This would be an upgrade in my mind.

York and Zamula look to be trying to break in by next year too.

Now the forwards well that is a separate long conversation I don't want right now.

But free agency must be meshed with the draft youth movement.

Giroux more than likely comes back for another year.

Hayes ain't going anywhere.

Well the Flyers have building blocks but it's up to Fletcher to put these blocks together and I don't know if he has the smarts or a plan to do that. With Hart have a so-so year it might benefit the Flyers in contract talks to get a favourable deal with him. Couturier is the number one centre with Hayes number 2 because you can't get rid of his contract. As for Voracek hopefully Seattle picks him and Giroux has one year left where depending where the Flyers are in next year's deadline, Giroux might be a chip that the Flyers can use. The number one priority this summer is to get a veteran defensemen to play with Provorov, Sanhiem and Myers could develop into your number two pairing with Morin and someone the number three. As for Ghost, try to trade him somewhere. I'm just hoping one year the Flyers get back to the promise land before I die.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Well the Flyers have building blocks but it's up to Fletcher to put these blocks together and I don't know if he has the smarts or a plan to do that. With Hart have a so-so year it might benefit the Flyers in contract talks to get a favourable deal with him. Couturier is the number one centre with Hayes number 2 because you can't get rid of his contract. As for Voracek hopefully Seattle picks him and Giroux has one year left where depending where the Flyers are in next year's deadline, Giroux might be a chip that the Flyers can use. The number one priority this summer is to get a veteran defensemen to play with Provorov, Sanhiem and Myers could develop into your number two pairing with Morin and someone the number three. As for Ghost, try to trade him somewhere. I'm just hoping one year the Flyers get back to the promise land before I die.

It's gotta be difficult building a winner when you can only use players from Minnesota. Hart should be signed to a team friendly bridge deal...but it's the Flyers so I expect 7 years at $8 million per. Only 5 more years of Hayes. Yay! York could possibly be ready sometime next season, depending how he comes along. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yay! York could possibly be ready sometime next season, depending how he comes along. 

Mike York?! :sick:

I almost got PTSD from that till I realized you meant Cam

I know you (flyercanuck) have alluded to this a few times...I kinda laughed it off when I read it...till now...and that is, I'm not so sure I want any good prospects exposed to this mess. How much longer before Allison realizes he's the only one giving a flying FK out there and what will that do to his game? I can imagine any young prospect getting disgusted pretty quickly, especially a real good D-man prospect.

well maybe there will be big changes over the summer...

[edit: "before Allison realizes he's the only one giving a flying FK out there" - that's a little too harsh, I do see plenty of hard work, hustle, etc. with most of the Flyers...it's just that it only happens for 3 or 4 minutes per game.]

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

What's the forum's temperature on Dougie Hamilton?

The things I remember about him are, he's very good at hockey.

And also a little weird in that he has interests other than hockey and isn't "all about it"- I think this alone doesn't bode well for him in Philly.  He doesn't grimace to show effort so he's gotta be loafing. 

If he could be had for just dollars I'd like to take a swing at him. 

Would he want to come here? He's got a good deal going in Carolina and has been as good as Victor Hedman statistically but, since he's kind of a weirdo doesn't get the ZOMG ! props. I saw an Alexander Appleyard thread where he was comparing the two players and Hamilton's numbers are right there with Hedman's.

And he does control the game the way a true #1 does, he always seems to have the puck, and is always going the right way with it. 

That would be a big "get". 

It would be risky and would require some guys moving, but I think that die has been cast. 

As much as I like Provorov, I don't see him controlling the game the way Adam Fox does for NYR.

To me that's the true #1's calling card. Hamilton checks that box.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

What's the forum's temperature on Dougie Hamilton?

I don't hate him, but it seems like a stretch that we'd land him. If he chooses to leave Carolina, he's going to have his pick of suitors. I can't imagine he'd be very interested in the Flyers with what we have going right now. I mean, he might if Fletch offers him some absurd overpayment, but at that point I'm not sure we'd like what we get for the money.

He's a good player, and you described his challenges quite well. I'm just not sure this team is a fit for a guy like him right now.

You're also about to take some flak for the fact he isn't a physical crease-cleaning kind of guy. Better get that s*** shield ready.

22 minutes ago, elmatus said:

You're also about to take some flak for the fact he isn't a physical crease-cleaning kind of guy. Better get that s*** shield ready.

Yeah, that's like water off a duck's back.

I get the idea Fletcher was going for with Gustafsson. 

Get the puck, keep the puck, do offensive things with the puck and by offensive I mean positive possession in the offensive zone, not what we're currently seeing.

That signing didn't work out for either party but the strategy isn't some kind of wacky, goofball ****. 

Hamilton, makes that playing style more plausible. 

I don't think he's signing here, even though there's some cool museums and history stuff to do when he's not at the rink. 

• Like 2

I pass on Dougie Hamilton, pass on Gaudreau, my wish list is Jordan Greenway, Lawson Crouse, Sam Bennett, Jamie Oleksiak, Matt Dumba. These players are not ungettable with the assets CF has. If he doesn't rid the Flyers of the so called leadership group, all this conversation is a waste of time, and the mediocre unprofessionalism goes on and on. The culture obviously has to change. An identity of a team that has pride in itself and is hard to play against has to be created. If Fletcher isn't disgusted with what he sees every night then he is a fool and he has to go too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Lawson Crouse

What's this kid's deal?

You've brought him up a couple of times now.  Outside of the fact he plays for the Coyotes, I know zilch about him, what does he do that you like?