Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs (MTL Wins 4-3)

Choose Yer Poison  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Yer Poison

• Habs Shock n Pound Leafs in 4
    • Habs Win in Surprising Fashion in 5
    • Habs Take Competitive Series in 6
    • Habs Contain the Leafs Enough to Win in 7
    • Leafs Laugh Their Way to the Next Round in 4
    • Leafs Dominate an Overmatched Habs Team in 5
    • Leafs Face Some Adversity, But Get it Done in 6
    • Leafs Show They are Ready To Go the Distance in 7

Time for the Leaf ownership to clean house.  If the players cannot finish a series being up 3-1, it is time for changes. Since the players are pretty much safe, that means management has to take the hit.  If you cannot motivate your players to beat your longest standing historical rival for just one more game to close out the series, then management needs to become folks who can do that.

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

edit again: WOW....as a long-time Flyers' fan I've seen some bad beats but oh my Toronto! Up 3-1 and you can't squeeze out one more game...Unreal.

Blowing 3-goal leads. Blowing 3-1 series leads. You name it, the Leafs can blow it!  🤪👍

Speaking of blowing.... the ref blew a call that was clearly holding/interference on a Leafs player only to call a penalty on Engvall (I think) shortly thereafter. That cost the Leafs a goal. Weak goaltending cost the Leafs the first goal. 

I guess the take away from this is that Montreal won this series through mid-season trades.  While the Leafs were busy acquiring Rittich (who played no role with Toronto), the Habs were busy getting guys like Corey Perry. 

All in all, it's not the worst thing to lose this season. Nobody had to watch it. Nobody could have celebrated it had we won.  Ontario is STILL in covid lockdown. It isn't the same when you don't see that crowd of 20,000 people, the bars and patios overflowing with Leafs fans watching the game, etc. There was no real playoff atmosphere surrounding this series. Accordingly, it'll be like it never happened. 

• Like 2

Of course, for viewers in USA, the network just had to show (early in 2nd period) the Canadiens game 7 winner against Washington in 2010, winning after being down 3-1 in games.  In the next 4 minutes, Montreal scores, then Price robs a Leaf on what looked to be a sure tally.  J-I-N-X-E-D ‘-E-M

Edited by SaucyJack

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

All in all, it's not the worst thing to lose this season. Nobody had to watch it. Nobody could have celebrated it had we won.  Ontario is STILL in covid lockdown. It isn't the same when you don't see that crowd of 20,000 people, the bars and patios overflowing with Leafs fans watching the game, etc. There was no real playoff atmosphere surrounding this series. Accordingly, it'll be like it never happened. 

The crowds and the atmosphere and bars and patios haven't helped the Leafs win a playoff round since the salary cap stopped them from buying wins. The league put them in the easiest division away from the big bad Bruins. They drew a team I'd be quite comfortable with the Flyers playing in the playoffs....and they suck

ONE goal from Marner/Matthews combined in 7 games. At over $22 million (yes I get they're not paid during playoffs). That's a big reason why they lost. Not covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The crowds and the atmosphere and bars and patios haven't helped the Leafs win a playoff round since the salary cap stopped them from buying wins. The league put them in the easiest division away from the big bad Bruins. They drew a team I'd be quite comfortable with the Flyers playing in the playoffs....and they suck

ONE goal from Marner/Matthews combined in 7 games. At over $22 million (yes I get they're not paid during playoffs). That's a big reason why they lost. Not covid.

I agree. Marner and Matthews are starting to earn the reputation of being regular season guys only. However, since they already got top dollar contracts, I guess there's no incentive for them to ever do anything in the playoffs. The team was quick to pay them max money based on regular season performance. Maybe they should have placed a premium on playoff performance. 

My point is that nobody was really invested in this series... due to covid and our third lockdown. When people are more focused on paying bills, keeping their small business afloat, figuring out how to educate their kids through Zoom chats, or just staying alive (no Bee Gees joke please lol), it's hard to get into an NHL playoff series with anyone.  Fans weren't "focused" on this like they normally would have been if the world was back to normal.

I imagine this is the last time we'll ever see highlights of the 2021 season. The footage will be burned/deleted/lost/forgotten. 

Consider: The Art Ross and Rocket Richard trophy winners are both gone in round 1.

• Like 1

Official statement of the League:

The NHL on behalf of Gary Bettman along with the NHLPA have mutually decided to activate the Special Clause 666-f. of the the new CBA collective agreement and proceed with the folding of the Toronto Maple Leafs taking place with immediate effect due to its continuous, disgraceful and shameful history of failures. Following the dismantlement of the organization, the Special Clause allows the NHL to grant the city of Toronto a new expansion franchise to be joining the League for the season 2021-2022.

A dispersal draft will be held before the opening FA market on a date to be determined to distribute all current active Maple Leafs players in the roster across the 31 other teams in the League. The new expansion team will be then authorized to sign FA with the exception of former Leafs players. Following the Seattle Kraken expansion draft, The new team expansion draft will be scheduled simultaneously with the Seattle Kraken expansion draft, with the two teams picking one player on each of its turn.

The name, logo and colors of the new franchise will be unveiled in late summer 2021 before training camps. All trophies, titles and history of the then Toronto Maple Leafs franchise as well as the previous incarnations of the Toronto Arenas and Toronto St-Pats will not be allowed to follow the new franchise and will remain part of the defunct team.

The NHL is fully aware of the challenges caused by this exceptional measure but it is convinced to act in the best interests of both the League and Toronto fans.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Good Post 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I agree. Marner and Matthews are starting to earn the reputation of being regular season guys only. However, since they already got top dollar contracts, I guess there's no incentive for them to ever do anything in the playoffs. The team was quick to pay them max money based on regular season performance. Maybe they should have placed a premium on playoff performance. 

Maybe Matthews was content with his pro-rated 50 goal performance.

My point is that nobody was really invested in this series... due to covid and our third lockdown. When people are more focused on paying bills, keeping their small business afloat, figuring out how to educate their kids through Zoom chats, or just staying alive (no Bee Gees joke please lol), it's hard to get into an NHL playoff series with anyone.  Fans weren't "focused" on this like they normally would have been if the world was back to normal.

Wow. Game 6 of the #habs-#leafs series on Saturday was Sportsnet's most-watched Stanley Cup Playoff game ever, drawing an average audience of 4.7 million. It reached 10.2-million Canadians overall.

I imagine this is the last time we'll ever see highlights of the 2021 season. The footage will be burned/deleted/lost/forgotten. 

Yaaaa...I doubt it.

Consider: The Art Ross and Rocket Richard trophy winners are both gone in round 1.

Which has nothing to do with what a "team" does.

See... this could of been us Flyers fans!

Ugly round one loss is NOT better than simply not making the POs.

It is much easier to accept loosing when you do not have any ill conceived notions that you are any good....

Condolences Leafs Fans. I take no joy in this collapse other than it didn't happen to "my team"....

I feel badly for Leafs fans today. While I take fun shots at them, I can empathize at the stupidity and organizational arrogance of a team, being a lifelong Flyers fan. For as skilled a team as the Leafs were, the playoffs are a different ballgame, as teams like the Lightning were forced to learn, the hard way Yes, the leaders and most talented players of the team like Auston Matthews, let you down. However, the biggest letdown has to be the utter foolishness of Maple Leaf management...thinking that by making their team a little tougher with old 4th line players, was enough. Also, and even more importantly, putting an unproven and over his head basically rookie goalie for all intents and purposes, Jack Campbell...was asking for trouble. Even when they had Andersen healthy and available, his save percentage in the 800s wasn't good enough, either. I would try and trade Marner to a team in the West (though I would trade Voracek for him), and get back a young, physical wing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Yes, the leaders and most talented players of the team like Auston Matthews, let you down.

I saw a grx on the screen with Marner and Matthews. 22 million aav - which resulted in 5 points for 34 and 4 points for 16 during the series.

I thought, I can relate.

Losing Tavares was a big blow as was losing Muzzin.

Carey Price man, that guy was money in games 6 and 7, when the Leafs did finally find their game, he slammed the door. 

Do you fire coaches? trade players? they've got 33m aav in 3 players does that leave enough for building a good team? does someone get dealt?

Sucks to have high hopes then have them dashed- I experienced this daily with the Flyers this season.

• Like 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

I saw a grx on the screen with Marner and Matthews. 22 million aav - which resulted in 5 points for 34 and 4 points for 16 during the series.

I thought, I can relate.

Carey Price man, that guy was money in games 6 and 7, when the Leafs did finally find their game, he slammed the door. 

Do you fire coaches? trade players? they've got 33m aav in 3 players does that leave enough for building a good team? does someone get dealt?

Sucks to have high hopes then have them dashed- I experienced this daily with the Flyers this season.

they have change the culture by adding players that know how to win just like fletch has to do with this team, it's the same issues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It was a devastating blow to lose Tavares, their second line center. Muzzin, provided sorely lacking defensive responsibility back there. However, as a Flyers fan, I can truly relate and appreciate the value of not having a good to great goalie, yet needing one. I parallel them to the Flyers teams of the 1990s. A great and dominant first line. Nothing (especially with the Tavares injury) really else at forward, and meh to bad goaltending.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

they have change the culture by adding players that know how to win just like fletch has to do with this team, it's the same issues.

They tried building around the edges...now they have to change part of the nucleus AND add a really good to great goalie. Leafs management has their work cut out for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

They tried building around the edges...now they have to change part of the nucleus AND add a really good to great goalie. Leafs management has their work cut out for them.

yes i agree.

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I feel badly for Leafs fans today. While I take fun shots at them, I can empathize at the stupidity and organizational arrogance of a team, being a lifelong Flyers fan. For as skilled a team as the Leafs were, the playoffs are a different ballgame, as teams like the Lightning were forced to learn, the hard way Yes, the leaders and most talented players of the team like Auston Matthews, let you down. However, the biggest letdown has to be the utter foolishness of Maple Leaf management...thinking that by making their team a little tougher with old 4th line players, was enough. Also, and even more importantly, putting an unproven and over his head basically rookie goalie for all intents and purposes, Jack Campbell...was asking for trouble. Even when they had Andersen healthy and available, his save percentage in the 800s wasn't good enough, either. I would try and trade Marner to a team in the West (though I would trade Voracek for him), and get back a young, physical wing.

Agree. Strange decision. Lightning a couple years ago (many predicted their Cup win) was eliminated in the 1st round in 4 games, if I remember. And then the next year 2020 they won the Cup.

Maybe it is time to move out some of this core of players. It could help retool quickly.

Maybe they have been jinxed by all the reporters.

Collusion from the media...

:beer:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe it is time to move out some of this core of players. It could help retool quickly.

First time the Leafs have gone into a playoff series as the favourite to win.  To me, THAT is probably the most disappointing thing of all. This time, expectations were elevated. This was a 1st place team. You can say they were the best of a mediocre bunch, but they were still the best. They should have beat Montreal. However, as I mentioned in my other post, the Leafs did very little to improve the team during the season. They made stupid acquisitions while Montreal basically plugged every hole in their roster and had a "let's go for it" attitude. 

Montreal (unlike Toronto) identified their weaknesses, solved them, and moved forward.  The Leafs just keep rolling out the same flawed roster and everyone knows how to defeat them come playoff time. The Leafs are a puzzle that has been solved. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Maybe Matthews was content with his pro-rated 50 goal performance.

It was actually 60.   😐

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Wow. Game 6 of the #habs-#leafs series on Saturday was Sportsnet's most-watched Stanley Cup Playoff game ever, drawing an average audience of 4.7 million. It reached 10.2-million Canadians overall.

But not the same atmosphere without fans in attendance and without all the sports bars and patios open.  Normally I'd walk downtown and see a sea of blue and white jerseys, sports bars packed, and cars with Leafs flags out the window. Couldn't have ANY of that this time around. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah, there were completely confused by the media predictions. 

For the Canadiens team our former tough player Eric Staal was very helpful during these series.

Wish to have Auston Matthews in our Wild team. Just a dream.🙂 In 20 years of the Wild history we had only 2 high scoring players Gaborik and Kaprizov now. Only two.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

However, as I mentioned in my other post, the Leafs did very little to improve the team during the season.

That and like by beloved Flyers your stars failed to perform when the stage was at it's biggest.

It is what we have been saying about Giroux and Jake for a while now (or at least some of us have).

Bottom line if you want to win it all your best guys need to be your best guys. Tampa went through some rough stretches before reaching this status. The Bruins and Avs too just to name a few.

In my Flyers case a changing of the guard needs to take place. In the Leafs case well you can flip your assets for pieces you need.

In fact the Leafs best bet would be to go hard after Seth Jones who many Flyer fans covet....but if you were to serve up a Marner for Jones trade well it would be hard to trump that.

Just now, Alexandron said:

For the Canadiens team our former tough player Eric Staal was very helpful during these series.

Yes thanks i had accidentally left him out but these were key acquisitions to reshaping the forward group for the playoff rigors.

Leafs need a long look in the mirror and then need to retool their forward group quickly.

• Like 1