Seth Jones informs CBJ he's not signing extension

Report: Jones informs Blue Jackets he won't sign extension | theScore.com

A lot of the know-it-alls on twitter are saying Jones is on the decline and that the price to acquire him is too steep.

Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st, is what I saw Bill Meltzer throwing around.

First is Jones' play in decline, or is it the past two "seasons" he like a good many other players has been effected negatively by the COVID-19 season stuff?

I seem to remember him as a guy that always had the puck, was never really out of position, and had a knack for making great plays in the offensive zone.

That was 2019, I haven't had the occasion to watch him since then though.

Anyone know what the specific metrics this decline are  being measured in ?

Also, are two blue chip prospects and a first too steep a price ?

Making a move to acquire and extending the guy I'm remembering seems like something only an idiot doesn't explore.

Jones has been what Samhiem might become, I'm more reticent to include Konecny, I like him but I think two roster players for one is enough.

I reckon I'm a cheap ****

What are your thoughts about this? 

Edited by mojo1917

I really like Jones, but there are some amount of unknowns here i’m not super comfortable with. 

for one, the Flyers are really in not much better a position than the Jackets. Why does he want out? Does he want to play for a contender, or at least a team on the rise? If so, the Flyers really don’t fit the bill right now. 

Also, the price you noted definitely seems high to me. Sanheim whatever, but TK regressed massively this season, and I for one would like to see if he can figure things out again. I’m also not keen on getting rid of any 1st round picks. We need them, and there’s a decent chance any 1st we give up for the next couple years will be quite high. 

• Like 1

Sanheim and Konecny AND a 1st? No. Sorry but that’s too steep. Sanheim and a 1st is already enough but maybe add in a prospect. I like SJ a lot too but 2 young, excellent or soon-to-be excellent roster players, both with friendly salaries is plenty. 

edit: plus I really don’t want to give up Konecny he’s too much fun to watch and he’s just the kind of player the Flyers need more of.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Report: Jones informs Blue Jackets he won't sign extension | theScore.com

A lot of the know-it-alls on twitter are saying Jones is on the decline and that the price to acquire him is too steep.

Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st, is what I saw Bill Meltzer throwing around.

First is Jones' play in decline, or is it the past two "seasons" he like a good many other players has been effected negatively by the COVID-19 season stuff?

I seem to remember him as a guy that always had the puck, was never really out of position, and had a knack for making great plays in the offensive zone.

That was 2019, I haven't had the occasion to watch him since then though.

Anyone know what the specific metrics this decline are  being measured in ?

Also, are two blue chip prospects and a first too steep a price ?

Making a move to acquire and extending the guy I'm remembering seems like something only an idiot doesn't explore.

Jones has been what Samhiem might become, I'm more reticent to include Konecny, I like him but I think two roster players for one is enough.

I reckon I'm a cheap ****

What are your thoughts about this? 

Sanheim and a first. That's it..

Sanheim and a second or Hagg and a first gets it done. No reason for two players of that calibre and a first.  Not doing that.  

Jones is worth exploring, but I'm not giving up that package.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Sanheim and a first. That's it..

Sanheim and a second or Hagg and a first gets it done. No reason for two players of that calibre and a first.  Not doing that.  

Jones is worth exploring, but I'm not giving up that package.

If I can't get some assurance he is going to sign an extension then I pass all together.

No way i give up Sanheim and a 1st for a rental possibly.

Just sign Savard or Hamilton.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If I can't get some assurance he is going to sign an extension then I pass all together.

No way i give up Sanheim and a 1st for a rental possibly.

Just sign Savard or Hamilton.

Yes. Completely agree.  My comment was contingent on signing. I agree, without that it's not worth it.

Seth has 10 teams he doesn't want traded to, if the Flyers are on that list, it's all for naught.

I think with his dad being in town that might be helpful, unless he hates his dad- But I think Popeye is a pretty good bloke.

If the move resembles the trade that brought Dejardins to town, that would be fine with me. 

I won't mind giving up quality for quality.

I don't know what to make of his dive bombing advanced metrics though. 

E2mYczYVcAM_BkO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also, not sure how awesome jfresh hockey is...but the layout of this is good, and I appreciate decent design.

I would say, Sanheim and Hagg plus a mid/high round pick (2nd or 3rd), the money would work well enough for each team.

A pairing of Provorv and Jones would be dope. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Sanheim and Hagg plus a mid/high round pick (2nd or 3rd), the money would work well enough for each team.

A pairing of Provorv and Jones would be dope. 

Provorov and Jones could work nicely but I still don’t like giving up 2 roster players. Ok so Haag is borderline and I’m in a small minority who likes him, esp as a 7th. If Jones was clearly another Pronger or Chara ten years ago....but he’s not. 

What worries me is Fletcher’s recent track record.

IF Fletcher can work out a deal that gets rid of one of Hayes/Voracek/JVR then maybe it's worth looking into. A team with those 3 and whatever bump in income Jones is looking for ain't winning anything other than a worst spent capspace contest.

With the current roster, and what we were forced to watch the past season acquiring Jones for 3 pieces is a no brainer. The current Flyers are not going anywhere near a cup, nor are the prospects in the system making it so. Change is needed on the NHL roster, and change is needed in the overall attitude and chemistry of the team. If anyone on this board or on a contract with the Flyers thinks otherwise is foolhardy. This team gave up multiple times the past season, quit on themselves, quit on each other, quit on a franchise that used to stand for something. That is totally not acceptable, I hope I never see it again. If the same nucleus and so called leadership group is still here in October then we will know that Chuck has no game and he should be bounced. This is not a team that is fixed with a top pair dman and a scoring winger, they need more than that, and Jones is a great first move. 

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

IF Fletcher can work out a deal that gets rid of one of Hayes/Voracek/JVR then maybe it's worth looking into. A team with those 3 and whatever bump in income Jones is looking for ain't winning anything other than a worst spent capspace contest.

Very true. Acquiring Jones is contingent upon losing one of those 3 hefty contracts. Hopefully the Kracken can be induced to take one. It won’t be Hayes bc no one is stupid enough to take on that contract. I sincerely hope it’s JVR.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Isn't it kind of early for him to come out and say he wants to test the market?  He still has another year on his current contract.  I guess it could be interpreted as a request to be traded.

What did he actually say? I haven't read it.  If it was "I want to test the market," I think you're right that it sounds a lot like posturing for negotiations.  I was operating under the assumption it's the latest NHL player to outgrow Columbus and want to try a major league city (no offense, Columbus, but really).   

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

If anyone is starting a bet on whether Jones ends up in Philly, I'm taking the field.

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If anyone is starting a bet on whether Jones ends up in Philly, I'm taking the field

Totally agree here with your POV …. I would be totally shocked if he lands with the Flyers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Totally agree here with your POV …. I would be totally shocked if he lands with the Flyers.

Without a promise or actually signing an extension I am fine with this.

They can afford to expend assets on a one year try out.

I like Hamilton but feel Savard is more along the lines of what they need.

I think a Sanheim or York can eventually bring what Hamilton brings.

• Like 1

I read somewhere, (maybe in this thread, too lazy to go back and find it), that Seth’s dad is a coach with the 76ers.  I could see him signing with the Flyers after next season because of that.  Not so sure the Flyers would trade for him because it would take a significant package to pry him loose from the Jackets.

saw this article:

Seth Jones defends the blueline like Andrew MacDonald

Soon to be on his way out of Columbus, the highly valued defender will likely be on the Flyers’ radar.

This should be reason enough to NOT go after him, but its likely a guarantee he will be in Philly now

• Like 1

I would try and sign David Savard first, although he's 30 as opposed to Seth Jones, who is 26. Savard will require less salary cap space, which the Flyers...bless their hearts...still don't have a lot of for many ridiculously stupid reasons. That is, if the Lightning don't re-sign him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I would try and sign David Savard first, although he's 30 as opposed to Seth Jones, who is 26. Savard will require less salary cap space, which the Flyers...bless their hearts...still don't have a lot of for many ridiculously stupid reasons. That is, if the Lightning don't re-sign him.

I would be good with this too.

Savard to pair with Provorov and maybe Adam Larsson to pair with Sanheim.

Neither should break the bank....and both would be solid vets that check the box of tutoring the kids on the ice.

What i suggested in one of these threads about the defense yesterday....

Provorov - Savard

Sanheim - Larsson

Morin - Myers

Braun - Hagg

You could possibly flip Braun before the deadline to a team needing a vet right shot for a playoff run.

19 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Chelios points sights at Hextall and claims his next waiver.

Then Hextall finally kills Chelios, the way he should have almost done in 1989 and by default maybe we then get a qualified GM.:ph34r:

• Haha 1