The Pundits Aren't Impressed With the Changes

Howie58

Greetings:

The press doesn't seem too impressed with the recent moves.  Here are two pieces in that vein:

NHL Power Rankings: Teams with the best five year window (nbcsports.com)

Metropolitan Division review: Penguins, Capitals try for another run (nbcsports.com)

My view is that we may be heading into a 2008 repeat.  Yes, there is improvement.  The question is whether the '21-'22 squad is like 2008:  Do we have an an upgrade without deep roots for sustained excellence?

Food for thought.

10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

The press doesn't seem too impressed with the recent moves.  Here are two pieces in that vein:

NHL Power Rankings: Teams with the best five year window (nbcsports.com)

Metropolitan Division review: Penguins, Capitals try for another run (nbcsports.com)

My view is that we may be heading into a 2008 repeat.  Yes, there is improvement.  The question is whether the '21-'22 squad is like 2008:  Do we have an an upgrade without deep roots for sustained excellence?

Food for thought.

I always say put that shoe on the other foot. I mean what if they said the Flyers were the Cup favorites?

Still doesn't mean much they still have to go out and play and win those games.

So either way I could care less what they predict.

This team has a lot to prove and get better at regardless of what anyone else says.

Bottom line they lost their last game and any time that happens well you have to prove yourself all over again.

Nothing you did last year will get you by this year.

Wins are all that matters. Playoffs is all that matter. Winning the Cup is all that matters.

One step at a time. Promised nothing.

Earn everything!!!!

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bottom line they lost their last game and any time that happens well you have to prove yourself all over again.

No, actually they didn't. They beat the Devils, 4-2. Do they have to prove themselves? Hell. yes. I'm not entirely convinced this is a playoff team, although I think they are...but they have a LOT to prove.  I'm especially talking to you, Giroux and Hart.

Their forwards are better, at least on paper, IMHO. Their defense is much improved, no question about it. The Martin Jones signing has me worried a lot though, if a slump or injury happens to Hart. I mean, you could argue that any backup goalie they could afford would have the same issue, but that is certainly the case with Jones. That was a HIGHLY risky move, in my mind.

Edited by FD19372

On 8/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, FD19372 said:

No, actually they didn't. They beat the Devils, 4-2. Do they have to prove themselves? Hell. yes. I'm not entirely convinced this is a playoff team, although I think they are...but they have a LOT to prove.  I'm especially talking to you, Giroux and Hart.

I'm not sure what KIND of team they are.

I know they need to improve in all phases of the game.

One glaring thing for sure is their goals against has to be reduced a lot.

Do they have the personnel to make this happen?

On paper they seem to. 

Guess we'll have to see.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

The Metro is perhaps the most competitive division in the league and there are a lot of moving pieces.

The Flyers are not operating in a vacuum. The Flyers got better on paper. So did the Rangers (who finished ahead of the Flyers last year) and the Devils. The Islanders and the Hurricanes remain strong teams as do the Caps and the Pens. The only obvious doormat is Columbus, but the Jackets have cap space and can make improvements if not this season, then in subsequent seasons.

Don't take stock in what the pundits opine on. Take stock in the product on the ice.

• Like 2

Good Afternoon:

The pundits are like stock-pickers--most don't beat the averages, hence the move to ETF and index funds.  I take their statements with many grains of salt.  On the other hand and extreme, go to YouTube and look at the pundits on the other side who think the O and B are the most improved team in the division.  That Kool-Aid is way beyond me. 

Again, my fear is 2008 Redux.  We have the trades.  Yeah, maybe the newbies overcome their immediate past or whatever.  But a marginal playoff team that goes nowhere in the future doesn't make me happy.  I would like to see a Cup before passing. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

Yeah, the guys on NHL radio the other day were in the same boat... not sure we did enough to improve. Lateral moves I believe was the term they used?..... Scratching heads on Jones and What they gave up for Risto....

But we all knew that already. As many have said. Media is media.... lets see what this team can do in a VERY challenging division!

I think this year is all about Carter Hart and our D....their play will decide games.

• Like 1

The move I will back up as very risky is the backup goalie position, he's the last line of defense and if Hart goes down and has problems and the backup goalie Jones repeats his last year performance, that will cause a big ripple affect to the team, and they will most likely, forcibly have to alter their play style and that can cause a possible derail to the season.

Defensemen can be swapped in, the goalie position will have to be Hailed Mary for the remainder of the season unless an AHLer can step up, or they emergency sign and overpay a goalie mid-season and beyond.

If all the After Market parts can slip in AND WORK! together as per manufacture specifications, then this could be a fun and solid team to see and root for as they step into the Stanley Cup Playoffs and then some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

The move I will back up as very risky is the backup goalie position, he's the last line of defense and if Hart goes down and has problems and the backup goalie Jones repeats his last three years performance, that will cause a big ripple affect to the team, and they will most likely, forcibly have to alter their play style and that can cause a possible derail to the season.

FIFY

• Like 1

All the changes were hail marys, bandaids, call it what you like. No big cause to excite now, no look to the future. Two exceptional top end drafts coming up completely overlooked by Chuckie. More mediocre. The only thing to look forward to this season is hoping Risto blows a few guys up. Maybe Chuck will surprise us and make some deft moves at the deadline to set himself up for the entry drafts to come.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:14 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure what time of team they are.

I know they need to improve in all phases of the game.

One glaring thing for sure is their goals against has to be reduced a lot.

Do they have the personnel to make this happen?

On paper they seem to. 

Guess we'll have to see.

5:55AM

😜😆

• Haha 1

Personally I don't think this is a playoff team, if they do make it it will be by the skin of their teeth.

Not enough talent or depth on this team, yeah they can put a top tier 1st line on the ice but IMO 2, 3, and 4 are going to struggle.

In goal Hart will have to stand on his head (hope we don't ruin him), better D will help but again I don't see the depth there either. Jones is a big ? in my book.

Giroux is not a leader (and I like Giroux) hopefully Couturier can step up and kinda take over the team.

Coaching.......What can I say I think we are still very week in the coaching department.

GM......Again I don't think Fletcher is a competent GM. He has not done much to improve the team, and I'm sure he is right up against the cap.

Ramblings from Saskatchewan. :)

@Fizz

I think if they don't make the playoffs it is a result of their division being really tough. 

I disagree with almost everything you've typed.

Except this:

3 hours ago, Fizz said:

Jones is a big ? in my book.

The team is currently over the cap. So, are you guessing about the what changes were made?

Not only are there a number of new players who are better than the old players they were traded for on the team now.

The chemistry of the locker room has changed dramatically:

Gone are: Surly Nolan Patrick, inconsistent Shayne Ghostisberhere, not getting it Phil Myers, Jake Voracek

In are : Ryan Ellis, Rasmus Ristolianen, Cam Atkinson, Keith Yandle and Derrick Brassard. All players were a part of their leadership groups on their previous teams. 

"Non leader Claude Giroux" was at the Jimmie Hayes memorial service in support of his teammate. There is more than one way to lead.

The only thing that you've typed here that makes sense is questioning the Martin Jones signing.

The opinions in this post are so obviously not thought out, I wonder if it is an effort to troll ?

Edited by mojo1917

On 8/29/2021 at 12:21 PM, flyer4ever said:

No big cause to excite now, no look to the future. Two exceptional top end drafts coming up completely overlooked by Chuckie.

I disagree, should this be true the Flyers wouldn't have a first pick in these drafts.  They do. 

I don't think the team will be bad enough to have good odds to pick the generational guys and they've had terrible luck with the draft lottery anyway.

Losing to get a chance at one of these guys could net a Jack Eichel as much as a Connor McDavid.

It's no guarantee, tanking. 

I'm currently watching my favorite baseball team suck intentionally for the 2nd time in 20 years and it's horrendous. 

There's 6  major league players on the major league roster. The stands are empty, it's ****** morose. 

The first time they tanked they made the playoffs for a couple of years with no championship and legacy of a high dollar signing who's best contributions came off the field. 

Sucking to get great is a fool's errand. 

• Like 1

The one thing I can say for certain is that the locker room has had a positive impact makeover.

The players that left in one way or the other had issues either with being part of the collective think, late to practices with different coaches, self thought, complacency as the new norm, and slight entitlement and over-worth.

These elements are gone, there might be a sliver of particles left in there but enough group dynamic has changed that with the new acquisitions and team helping out the new players get acclimated to this coaching system and chemistry, has caused all the team to group together with purpose and less negative distraction.

It feels like everyone thinks they're coming in with a new slate and things to prove.

I would say that carries over for the first ten games and then from there things will settle in and we can see how this team starts to play and how the new leadership kicks in and takes affect.

I think Risto needs to be paired with a defensive defenseman to help his case as a pairing. Only Left Defenseman that makes sense is Morin. Braun is a righty and Sanheim is more offensive than defensive.

This makes configured sense:

Provy/ Ellis

San/Braun

Morin/Risto (though I would hate for Yandle to loose his ironman status.)

So it would most likely be at the start:

Provy/ Ellis

San/Risto

Yandle/Braun

Stay safe and beware of Road Rage.

5 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

The one thing I can say for certain is that the locker room has had a positive impact makeover.

The players that left in one way or the other had issues either with being part of the collective think, late to practices with different coaches, self thought, complacency as the new norm, and slight entitlement and over-worth.

These elements are gone, there might be a sliver of particles left in there but enough group dynamic has changed that with the new acquisitions and team helping out the new players get acclimated to this coaching system and chemistry, has caused all the team to group together with purpose and less negative distraction.

It feels like everyone thinks they're coming in with a new slate and things to prove.

I would say that carries over for the first ten games and then from there things will settle in and we can see how this team starts to play and how the new leadership kicks in and takes affect.

I think Risto needs to be paired with a defensive defenseman to help his case as a pairing. Only Left Defenseman that makes sense is Morin. Braun is a righty and Sanheim is more offensive than defensive.

This makes configured sense:

Provy/ Ellis

San/Braun

Morin/Risto (though I would hate for Yandle to loose his ironman status.)

So it would most likely be at the start:

Provy/ Ellis

San/Risto

Yandle/Braun

Stay safe and beware of Road Rage.

If Braun is our second pair defenseman we are in for a very long season. He went from not being re-signed to the second pair. Kill me now.

• Like 1

Risto played a better game when he was paired with a defensive Defenseman, who in our stable would be his defensive defenseman pairing then?

Now there is a chance that he accepts and learns how to play the AV way, but that might be a swim upstream type of effort for him, not that he can't but it might make the job the Flyers are trying to accomplish much more difficult.