If/When Fletcher is fired

Samifan

10 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tavares actually said that? I recall some talk along those lines but nothing definite. Interesting.

It was more along the lines of he was always going to Tronno.

But IIRC there was never any interest in coming to Philadelphia.

Bullet dodged, that. 😃

8 hours ago, radoran said:

It was more along the lines of he was always going to Tronno.

But IIRC there was never any interest in coming to Philadelphia.

Bullet dodged, that. 😃

Well if by bullet dodged you mean we got a player with 30 % of Tavares points for 65% of his wages, sure.

But ya, this team doesn't need either contract.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well if by bullet dodged you mean we got a player with 30 % of Tavares points for 65% of his wages, sure.

But ya, this team doesn't need either contract.

Who's signed for two years longer...

The Flyers have at least won a playoff round.

#legendary

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Who's signed for two years longer...

The Flyers have at least won a playoff round.

#legendary

"He wants the sure play, like the 100 percent play that is going to help us win," Travis Konecny said in November 2019. "Whether it is chip it in, whether you make a hockey play, you get in and see somebody open, you try to make the play. You better hope it at least gets through, you don’t want it to get picked off. But other than that, there are no real guidelines to exactly what you have to do. He wants you to play hockey, he wants you to have fun, but make sure you’re doing the right play for the team."

Maybe i am too sober this morning but this to me screams it isn't so much the system but more of the dumbasses running and executing it just getting out played and not playing well as a team - bottom line that the players assembled on this roster just aren't very good together.

But it seems they as they usually do it is just easier to change one or two coaches instead of the whole roster.

So regardless change the coach at the end of the day it is on the super stars to make this team look good you know like the rest of the good teams around the league. But maybe just maybe the players just aren't that good with a fading star (being generous) leading them when will the downward spiral ever end??

When will they say hey we just need better players no matter what their pay is....

:BrownBag:

• Good Post 1

@OccamsRazor

Totally agree with your last post. So now the coach is fired, and it's all his fault. It appears the narrative has shifted within our forum, and that little glimmer of hope has crapt back in. The discussion has moved back to this being a playoff team if things go right. I think this is what I love most about Flyer fans (myself included), we stay loyal and hopeful.

It's still my opinion,  and I suspect many others, that the team is no better off, the playoffs are pipe dream, and should the team make it, there will a false sense of security that one or two moves will flip the switch. Should they manage to get in, fletch will stay, Yeo will be permanent,  and we will spend the next few years discussing the missed decisions that could have been made at this particular moment. 

Fact is, this group of players will only ever be good enough to "get in", and will never go farther than that. I feel sad, not because I have been missing watching games, but because I no longer care that I have

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

@OccamsRazor

Totally agree with your last post. So now the coach is fired, and it's all his fault. It appears the narrative has shifted within our forum, and that little glimmer of hope has crapt back in. The discussion has moved back to this being a playoff team if things go right. I think this is what I love most about Flyer fans (myself included), we stay loyal and hopeful.

It's still my opinion,  and I suspect many others, that the team is no better off, the playoffs are pipe dream, and should the team make it, there will a false sense of security that one or two moves will flip the switch. Should they manage to get in, fletch will stay, Yeo will be permanent,  and we will spend the next few years discussing the missed decisions that could have been made at this particular moment. 

Fact is, this group of players will only ever be good enough to "get in", and will never go farther than that. I feel sad, not because I have been missing watching games, but because I no longer care that I have

I want to say the Captain said it best.

They don't have an identity. (Basically any star power he has is fading fast.)

Till they do maybe it never gets right. 

They have good pieces to build around i think.

But it will never be done right. I get it. What else are we suppose to do???

Find other things to do is all we can do. The Eagles and a end of their season i hope provides a decent distraction.

If nothing else the Eagles i feel like you never know what you're going to get. Hurts has the fans happy again....now they get to play the team they choked against a few weeks back.

HO! HO! HO!

Playoffs under the tree???

Back to Flyers suck.

This break will do everyone some good to heal up.

A healthy Ellis good go a long way of improving the confidence on the backend get Braun back on the bottom pair with Yandle and well let's see. Basically the lineup they intended to ice would be a welcome.

If they can keep the puck and drive some more offense out who knows they are only 4 points out a playoff spot with 2 games in hand.....just saying....is their any life in them??

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It's still my opinion,  and I suspect many others, that the team is no better off, the playoffs are pipe dream, and should the team make it, there will a false sense of security that one or two moves will flip the switch.

Bingo! We have a winner!  ....

58 minutes ago, CoachX said:

. Should they manage to get in, fletch will stay, Yeo will be permanent,  and we will spend the next few years discussing the missed decisions that could have been made at this particular moment. 

That is what many fear the most ......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Completely agree. Anyone who thinks differently has a short memory. We've seen this dog and pony show every other year for a decade. One year we just miss the playoffs and get a mediocre pick. The next year we just make the playoffs and lose in 5. 

• Like 1

You know what, I love the Flyers. Love the Eagles. Love the Phillies. Love this forum. We have life Hall of Famers here

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.  Thanks for another great year 🎅

Stay safe everyone

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

You know what, I love the Flyers. Love the Eagles. Love the Phillies. Love this forum. We have life Hall of Famers here

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.  Thanks for another great year 🎅

Stay safe everyone

Thanks!

Merry Christmas my friend!

to chime in on the original question....I would have loved Lou Lamoriello... and I get the idea of picking a disciple of one of the good guys, be it coach or GM...but this can be a tricky proposition.. in reality, how often do those guys succeed? 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:33 PM, pilldoc said:

And that is a problem….

Inquiring minds want to know…. Why do you think that is and when do you think this started to occur…..

Once upon a time, Philly built a building taller than Billy Penn...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, flyerdog said:

to chime in on the original question....I would have loved Lou Lamoriello...

ah, the "prince of lies", just builds winning teams no matter where he is. 

He's had his moments too though, I think NJ is still paying Ilya Kolvachuk. 

But you make a great suggestion. I wouldn't care if he were cheating whilst building my team- it's not like consequences apply to him or his teams. That would be pretty cool to experience. 

On 12/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, mojo1917 said:

ah, the "prince of lies", just builds winning teams no matter where he is. 

He's had his moments too though, I think NJ is still paying Ilya Kolvachuk. 

But you make a great suggestion. I wouldn't care if he were cheating whilst building my team- it's not like consequences apply to him or his teams. That would be pretty cool to experience. 

I don't actually know much about him other than he's had decent success as a GM. What's the lies business?

On 12/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, mojo1917 said:

I think NJ is still paying Ilya Kolvachuk. 

Just remember that you asked...

The Devils are paying $250K a year though 2025 with a cap recapture.

The Flyers are paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year through 2027.

Hall of Fame that is right there.

Hall. Of. Fame.

#legendary

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Just remember that you asked...

The Devils are paying $250K a year though 2025 with a cap recapture.

The Flyers are paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year through 2027.

Hall of Fame that is right there.

Hall. Of. Fame.

#legendary

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Now do Hayes.

If we made any degree of progress--and I won't hold breath--Hayes becomes an overpaid-term 3rd center.  Coots is an overpaid super-2nd center; one of the youngins + Farabee and other become a modern NHL first line that breaks down opponents' defenses.  

15 hours ago, elmatus said:

What's the lies business?

There was a guy on the forums who called him that, King Knut? I think.

He had a whole litany of reasons Lou Lamoriello was the anti-Christ, a lot of it was goofy stuff. But Lou always did manage to A) build winners, B) live in the grey areas of the rules.

I'm actually surprised he wasn't the first GM to come up with a "Kucherov plan"

On 12/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, mojo1917 said:

There was a guy on the forums who called him that, King Knut? I think.

He had a whole litany of reasons Lou Lamoriello was the anti-Christ, a lot of it was goofy stuff. But Lou always did manage to A) build winners, B) live in the grey areas of the rules.

I'm actually surprised he wasn't the first GM to come up with a "Kucherov plan"

Seriously man, I'm feeling very out of the weeds on all of this. I like to think I'm somewhat well versed in hockey shtuff, but this is beyond for me. So... Lou bent rules to build those teams? Also, what's a Kucherov plan?

I always thought he was clearly a very savvy GM to have so much success despite not really being dealt the best hands (aside from possibly TO, which he fairly promptly lost). I feel like I'm missing a bunch of info here.

Hell, I'll go one further and say I'd love to have him GM this team for a spell. Stevie Y isn't dropping by anytime soon. Who has better cred than Lou at this point? Granted, he is quite old.

Edited by elmatus