Game 29: Philadelphia Flyers at Arizona Coyotes; 12/11/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Arizona is a mild favorite (-105) in a battle of the league's cellar dwellers:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/12-11-2022/philadelphia-flyers-vs-arizona-coyotes-prediction-3570/

These teams have relatively similar stats:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-ari/2022/12/11/2022020445

Notice that someone referred to as as the Ghost has 20 points.  Compare his point total and plus-minus to our D-corps.  Oh yeah....

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Notice that someone referred to as as the Ghost has 20 points.  Compare his point total and plus-minus to our D-corps.  Oh yeah....

He'd be our 3rd leading scorer. Last year he would have been 2nd in points. But Fletch needed to get rid of him, the 13th overall, 2-2nds and Hagg for a guy that has.........no points. True story.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He'd be our 3rd leading scorer. Last year he would have been 2nd in points. But Fletch needed to get rid of him, the 13th overall, 2-2nds and Hagg for a guy that has.........no points. True story.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted about Ghost, but seeing his numbers was a reminder of our front office ineptitude over the decade plus.  It makes me sad.

By the way, your post prompted me to look at Ristolainen's record. He peaked at 43 points on 2018-19. He's been dropping since then. This is not a Buffalo problem that could be coached away in a new setting, as was stated by a certain GM. He was probably declining before the trade. Fletcher has truly depleted us. Meanwhile,  if Ghost scores a hat trick, I'd smile.

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This is not a Buffalo problem that could be coached away in a new setting, as was stated by a certain GM. He was probably declining before the trade

So in response, the jackass extends him.

It's mind-bedoggling.

• Like 1

Strange.  Frost has a career game.  But Hart shows he's human.  Per Vegas, we control the puck for most of OT after doing something rare, scoring with the goalie pulled.  But Keller gets a hat trick.  We've lost 15 of the last 17.  

Tortorella looked like he as about to blow a gasket a few times.  That was justifiable.  But if you don't have talent, WTF.  

I felt badly for the many Flyers fans in attendance.   I am about to pull the plug on watching.  It is mind numbing. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, Howie58 said:

By the way, your post prompted me to look at Ristolainen's record. He peaked at 43 points on 2018-19. He's been dropping since then. This is not a Buffalo problem that could be coached away in a new setting, as was stated by a certain GM.

Part of that was losing his #1 spot to Dahlin after that draft. He wasn't on PP1 any more and not getting the offensive time he used to.

That said, when you look at -32, -21, -25, -41 - what are you expecting? The player has never been a plus player.

So, you're not getting points and not getting a solid defender - so give up a king's ransom for him and then extend him.

There is just no justification at all for that contract. And I don't anticipate it getting better over the next four years.

• Uggh... 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Strange.  Frost has a career game.  But Hart shows he's human.  Per Vegas, we control the puck for most of OT after doing something rare, scoring with the goalie pulled.  But Keller gets a hat trick.  We've lost 15 of the last 17.  

Tortorella looked like he as about to blow a gasket a few times.  That was justifiable.  But if you don't have talent, WTF.  

I felt badly for the many Flyers fans in attendance.   I am about to pull the plug on watching.  It is mind numbing. 

not really for me, i kind of figured, it's brought out the major flaws in this team that we need snipers, we need a backup goalie and sandstrom isnt it, otherwise torts would be playing him not playing hart.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

not really for me, i kind of figured, it's brought out the major flaws in this team that we need snipers, we need a backup goalie and sandstrom isnt it, otherwise torts would be playing him not playing hart.

Howdy:

Good point on Sandstrom.  Sad though.   We would like to grow one of our own outside of Hart.

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Good point on Sandstrom.  Sad though.   We would like to grow one of our own outside of Hart.

Not entirely sure on that. This could have been a backup opportunity, but there's also the possibility that after the Vegas game Torts wanted to "give them the best chance to win" against Arizona.

Could be why he "looked like he was about to blow a gasket." He very well might be trying to win the games they "can win" going in to keep some sort of "winning" idea in the room.

That said, I don't see Torts going Sandstrom against the Devils, Rangers, or Avs - but stranger things have happened. Throw him out there and then look to grab the Blue Jackets game with Hart?

Bob Belcher Grasping At Straws GIF by Bob's Burgers

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have a guy playing very well in the AHL now Samuel Ersson.

If Felix ain't the guy then they will move on from him and give Sam a chance.

Nah, keep Sandstrom in there. They don't need to start destroying another goalie's confidence.

On 12/11/2022 at 6:56 AM, flyercanuck said:

This is sadly funny!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Not entirely sure on that. This could have been a backup opportunity, but there's also the possibility that after the Vegas game Torts wanted to "give them the best chance to win" against Arizona.

Could be why he "looked like he was about to blow a gasket." He very well might be trying to win the games they "can win" going in to keep some sort of "winning" idea in the room.

That said, I don't see Torts going Sandstrom against the Devils, Rangers, or Avs - but stranger things have happened. Throw him out there and then look to grab the Blue Jackets game with Hart?

Bob Belcher Grasping At Straws GIF by Bob's Burgers

During one of the between-period breaks, Al Morganti questioned why Sandstrom didn't get the start. It had been seven games (I think) since Felix played, and he was concerned Felix might not be getting enough play to stay sharp.  His reasoning was sound--Arizona started their backup.  Sharpness aside, I worry that physically and psychologically, Hart will wear out.  Morganti raised the psychological question as well. In one of his post-game pressers, Torts said that Hart was young and that fatigue is an excuse.  I'll buy into that for so long, but on a losing team, incessant play may take its toll.