Lindros? Flyers last great super star?

hmc687

20 hours ago, CoachX said:

Last superstar this team had was Lindros

Dont remember a superstar before Lindros either tbh.  Dont think Clarke or Bernie were ever at that level.

Some peeps say Big E was a Top 10 talent of all time...!

27 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Um...... aren't you guys forgetting that we DRAFTED and groomed the "Best Player in the World!".......

(RIP #28... We hardly knew ye)

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Giroux was a good player maybe great but nowhere near as good as a Forsberg or Lindros or Jagr obv

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to throw the little bit of time they had Forsberg in there.

Even Jagr on the end of his career.

But as far as young Super Stars it would be Lindros.

I see you workin', I just can't get there. Both Forsberg and Jagr were past their prime. They WERE superstars. But that was pre-Flyers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It’s probably a bit premature to crown Michkov the next Flyers’ superstar (just a bit!) I’ll be plenty happy if he becomes a reliable goal-scorer and a playmaker. 

Just to be clear, I'm not syaing Michov will be anything in particular. Im just saying Lindros was the last SS to play for the Flyers

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Talent just drips off the guy.

There hasn't been a Flyer draft pick who had similar skill at this age in my lifetime.

I'm an old, with a long memory. Count Lindros- he was traded for- if you want, and we can quibble about that. 

There really hasn't been a prospect like him in the system in 40 years. 

I see why people are excited. I am.

Let's quibble then.....

Was E a superstar? Yes

Was he at that level for a significant period of time for the Flyers? Yes

No, he wasn't drafted. He was acquired in a trade. But that trade happened before he ever played an NHL game, so it was essentially the same as drafting him

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To my eyes, Michkov has puck skills and vision that are among the best I've ever seen. That includes Lindros.

Their gifts are dissimilar. 

its clearly apples to oranges

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The thing I remember about Lindros was he was bigger and meaner than Lemieux. He wasn't as skilled

He was definitely meaner. As skilled? I think maybe you're right. I remember an interview with other NHLers where many said they thought he would be the first to score 100 goals in a season. Honestly, if head shots werent allowed back then, I really think he wouldve lasted longer, and stayed in Philly longer. I really think we would've won a cup

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

Honestly, if head shots werent allowed back then, I really think he wouldve lasted longer, and stayed in Philly longer. I really think we would've won a cup

Head shots were not Eric's downfall.

The Steven's hit was a head shot for sure, and it sealed the deal, but Lindros problem was that he had his head down. All the time. People forget that Eric's first serious concussion was likely the Kasparaitis hit. No contact with the head: his body stopped but his brain kept moving.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

. People forget that Eric's first serious concussion was likely the Kasparaitis hit. No contact with the head: his body stopped but his brain kept moving.

pretty sure I see head contact

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

pretty sure I see head contact

Nah.

Notwithstanding what John Davidson is saying about the shoulder in the face, that hit is into the chest. Erik bends over at the waist and cranes his neck down to put his chin on his chest. 

That concussion is all about Eric coming to a dead stop and his brain sloshing forward. The contact with the head is incidental.

at 1:39 in the video I can see contact to the head just prior to the body. His helmet snaps back. Not saying youre wrong, just sayin there is head contact first. I disagree it was incidental

Agree 100% with Podein on this one. First, Lindros never had to have his head up until he reached the NHL. Everywhere he played he simply ran over whatever got in his way. The contact to the head is incidental in most concussions, it is a sudden stop injury. 

If Eric had learned to play with his head up its scary to think what his numbers could have been. Alas, we will never know.

At his healthy best, he was one of a kind, before or since, just ask his mother.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

at 1:39 in the video I can see contact to the head just prior to the body. His helmet snaps back. Not saying youre wrong, just sayin there is head contact first. I disagree it was incidental

1:20, 1:28, and 1:39, I see nose/forehead as initial point of contact.  I don't think there's anything incidental about it.  Possibly accidental, but not incidental.

Not completely buying accidental, either.   I'd say get your head up, but on this particular play it's not like he was carrying the puck and admiring his handiwork.  The puck was loose and bouncing, and he was trying to find it corral it.    I'm by no means a Lindros defender, but that would probably be a suspension in today's game except that he's a Penguin so he'd get a medal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Clarke was arguably the best player in hockey for a few years. His game was 200 foot, he invented Gretzkys office (behind the net) he was as good as anyone, no, better than anyone on the penalty kill, he was hell to play against, great on faceoffs and all that added to being one of the top scorers in the league. I don't like the man he's turned into, but he was as fun to watch as anyone and you never questioned whether he took a shift off.

Fixed. Also an underrated passer and playmaker.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Only three players in the history of the NHL have won more Hart Trophies than Bobby Clarke. Good grief; if that's not a superstar, who is?

Really? I didn't realize that

This won't be popular but I never liked Lindros. 

I always thought he was a total a-hole. I know people who have met him irl and have stories about him acting like a complete a-hole off ice. His father was an absolute a-hole. I wish we'd never have made that trade and think we might have won a cup with Forsberg instead. 

Ya, he was a hockey star, but I just didn't like the guy. Have at me, it's summer and I'm bored. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

This won't be popular but I never liked Lindros. 

I always thought he was a total a-hole. I know people who have met him irl and have stories about him acting like a complete a-hole off ice. His father was an absolute a-hole. I wish we'd never have made that trade and think we might have won a cup with Forsberg instead. 

Ya, he was a hockey star, but I just didn't like the guy. Have at me, it's summer and I'm bored. 

I always felt he was an a-hole as well.

Then again, I am a long time Lightning fan and he terrorized my mid 90's Bolts, so yea, to my preteen mind, he was a monster, a bully, and a menace..... and we barely had any 'heroes' to slay that monster.
So yea.
A-hole it is! :bigteeth:

I LOVE Summer! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1