Would you be interested in a new women's professional league like the NHL?

Martin Hare

A new Canadian-American competition is underway. This time it is a women’s professional league that takes the famous NHL as its model. The PWHL has already released its initial plans, and Stan Kasten presented the details of the upcoming competition!

• Like 2

Good for them...I'm sure tickets will be qute affordable.

Not sure why the women of hockey countries like Sweden/Finland/Czechia etc aren't getting on board with the womens hockey...it would be nice to see some competition for the two N.A. teams.

• Like 2

Completely depends on the quality of play and ticket price. 
If the play is comparable to girls high school hockey in Minnesota, no. 
If it’s as good as some of the olympic and national competition and affordable, yes. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'll have a look by curiosity but a lot of challenges comes ahead and described above. Level of play, affordability, costs, etc. I was first surprised they didn't put a team in another big market like Chicago. The main problem right now is that Canada and USA are playing on another planet compared to the rest. You have Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic that are sometimes able to come a bit closer, but at every Olympic games or WC it's Canada vs. USA in the final while most of the preliminary rounds show huge blowouts.

First, it's up to the respective federations to put in place efforts and structures that will allow those countries to progress and become decent opponents and generate greater interest later on. But it will take time even if it's trendind the right direction. Also, let's not forget that the pro Women canadian League collapsed in 2019. This League will be very fragile at its early stages.

1 hour ago, Math said:

Maybe I'll have a look by curiosity but a lot of challenges comes ahead and described above. Level of play, affordability, costs, etc. I was first surprised they didn't put a team in another big market like Chicago. The main problem right now is that Canada and USA are playing on another planet compared to the rest. You have Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic that are sometimes able to come a bit closer, but at every Olympic games or WC it's Canada vs. USA in the final while most of the preliminary rounds show huge blowouts.

First, it's up to the respective federations to put in place efforts and structures that will allow those countries to progress and become decent opponents and generate greater interest later on. But it will take time even if it's trendind the right direction. Also, let's not forget that the pro Women canadian League collapsed in 2019. This League will be very fragile at its early stages.

I dont watch the WNBA for the exact same reason, it is an inferior product, full stop. If you take the best team from the new womens hockey league and put them on the ice against a random ECHL club, say the Indianapolis Fuel or Tulsa Oilers, a far and away inferior mens league that serves as nothing more or less than the minor leagues for the real minor leaguers for when an AHL team needs a body or two because of callups, play the Ice or Oilers or Idaho Steelheads, put them against the best womens team in a seven game 'Summit Series' it would be a cakewalk, the ECHL team would win hands down in a route. I watch the occasional ECHL game in Toledo because of 1) location and 2) pricepoint on top of having met TJ Hensick a time or three and i love to root for someone who I have met because even at 58, i am still a damn fanboy. That said, after watching ECHL hockey it is not close to the real deal, it is slow, ugly, choppy, resembling the game but not quite the finished product. And for all of that, it is still a much better product than anything the women league could ever hope to put out there. I am a progressive thinking person but facts are facts, inferior product is absolutely not worth my time.

• Like 2

I'm not particularly interested, but there could easily be a market for it.

"Nobody" thought soccer would catch on in Philadelphia.

For that matter many questioned hockey...

People watch "inferior" product all the time.

But the product won't get much better in the absence of more exposure.

Edited by radoran

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I dont watch the WNBA for the exact same reason, it is an inferior product, full stop. If you take the best team from the new womens hockey league and put them on the ice against a random ECHL club, say the Indianapolis Fuel or Tulsa Oilers, a far and away inferior mens league that serves as nothing more or less than the minor leagues for the real minor leaguers for when an AHL team needs a body or two because of callups, play the Ice or Oilers or Idaho Steelheads, put them against the best womens team in a seven game 'Summit Series' it would be a cakewalk, the ECHL team would win hands down in a route. I watch the occasional ECHL game in Toledo because of 1) location and 2) pricepoint on top of having met TJ Hensick a time or three and i love to root for someone who I have met because even at 58, i am still a damn fanboy. That said, after watching ECHL hockey it is not close to the real deal, it is slow, ugly, choppy, resembling the game but not quite the finished product. And for all of that, it is still a much better product than anything the women league could ever hope to put out there. I am a progressive thinking person but facts are facts, inferior product is absolutely not worth my time.

Forget about the ECHL; it's worse than that.

In late 2021, en route to winning Gold at the Beijing Olympics, the Canadian women's team played three tune-up games against Alberta Junior Hockey League teams, including an 8-0 spanking at the hands of the Drumheller Dragons. These were boys, in other words, and almost entirely local boys at that... The best women's team in the world lost 8-0 to these kids, none of whom were drafted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Forget about the ECHL; it's worse than that.

In late 2021, en route to winning Gold at the Beijing Olympics, the Canadian women's team played three tune-up games against Alberta Junior Hockey League teams, including an 8-0 spanking at the hands of the Drumheller Dragons. These were boys, in other words, and almost entirely local boys at that... The best women's team in the world lost 8-0 to these kids, none of whom were drafted.

Hands down evidence it can never get any better.

Best to stop trying.

If you compare it to a men's game, it's going to pale in comparison from a talent perspective.

From a "fan interest" perspective there's 51% of the population predisposed to have an interest.

🤔

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

• 2 months later...

The PWHL unveiled their jerseys of their six new franchises. And holy cow, this is an absolute fail. No logos, no nicknames, all are generic training unis with colors randomly choosen. And the fact that representatives talk about identity and how smooth and sharp these jerseys are is laughable. How can you generate a little interest with such a false start like this. My God...

F-51KujXQAAPgT0-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75 

F-51KulWsAANvqd-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75

F-51KuhWgAEC5cr-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75

F-51Q1AWgAAsh0H-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75

F-51Q1AWgAE2D3R-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75

F-51Q0-X0AAowXX-1024x576.jpg&w=1080&q=75

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 12:50 PM, radoran said:

For that matter many questioned hockey...

People watch "inferior" product all the time.

This is kind of where I went.

In many cities, though, that have multiple sports--at least in the States--hockey is last or near last. In some cities, it's arguably behind college-level games.

I'm just wondering in cities that have an NHL team that is already drawing the small percentage of people who are hockey fans whether there's enough revenue available.

If they kept it to arenas only somewhat bigger than the Coyotes home rink, it would probably be a nice niche thing.   Kind of "hey, what do you want to do tonight?  Do you want to go to Dave & Busters, the art museum, or to the women's hockey game? The game starts at 7:30, so if that's what you want to do, make sure to get there before the first row sells out at 7:20."

When i watch sports, I tend to gravitate to watching the highest level of competition. If the Olympics were on, I wouldn't watch NHL. if the NHL was on, I would not watch the AHL. if the AHL teams i was interested in watching prospects from was on, I wouldn't watch Moosehead games.

That being said, the elite best of the best Canadian Olympic gold women's team plays against our third string junior squads like the drumheller dragons in the AJHL(I don't even know if these kids go into the draft pool lol) to warm up against good competition for the Olympics and lose 8-0

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/canadian-women-hockey-team-lose-3rd-straight-game-against-men-junior-a-team-1.6216140

Why would i want to watch such inferior product?

At least a pro league overcomes the North American two-team world dominance problem that usually renders national competitions boring until the inevitable CAN-USA women’s’ final. (I’m presuming all six teams would have a mix of ladies from Canada, USA, and various European countries.  Surely.)  At least there is a chance for better drama.

But like someone said earlier, I too stopped watching WNBA after giving it some chance years back.  The same would likely happen with hockey.

Ladies - your best bet remains the tennis racket ! 

• Like 1