A #1 Defenseman, who would you like?

I am curious, what is the room thinking about the player we'd like to see as that #1 25-27 min/gm all situations defenseman?

I feel like I have a legitimate blind spot for guys that would fit the Flyers timeline.

All my go to guys are too old; Hedman, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Josi? Or they're dug in deeper than an Alabama tick with the current teams; Makar, Morrissey.

In a perfect world whom would you like to see the Flyers target for that slot?

Edited by mojo1917

9 hours ago, radoran said:

Heiskanen.

He's just not available.

Flyers need a young Drew Doughty-type. They don't grow on trees and they don't typically come picking 10-15.

That’s why I am always harping on trading Konecny for a young can’t miss dman. I really don’t see any other way,unless you trade Hart. We are strong on right wing and Ersson looks like the real deal. Nobody else on this team is gonna bring us a high end dman in a trade except Konecny or Hart. This draft is loaded on defense and we have played well enough to ruin any shot at a good dman. The only other way is when we unload Walker and Seeler at the deadline and we go on a big losing streak and hopefully drop into the bottom ten, then we can draft a good dman and maybe even trade up .On a good note Attard and Andrae are both playing well and can hopefully get in some games when we trade Seeler and Walker. We also have Grans and Ginning who can also step in. With enough rookie mistakes on the blueline and a horrible PP hopefully we can drop down into a good draft position.

As far as good young dmen , you gotta love Seider on Detroit and Dobson on the Islanders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

you gotta love Seider on Detroit

That kid's skating is out of sight.

Not sold on Dobson, but you see him more than I do.

All, I have heard in interviews with Jonesy and Briere, they feel strongly a #1 defenseman is the priority, then in the next breath or moments later they will say they don't want to be locked into a goalie for high dollars or long term.

I don't think they're going to pay Hart when the time comes to extend him. 

What kind of value do we think Hart would have on the trade market? a couple of caveats, he's cleared from the Team Canada '18 mess and continues to play as he has this year?

Is Rasmus Dahlin a guy to consider, Owen Power? 

Is Josh Morrissey still on the rise in Winterpeg or is has he topped out as a good player but not lead dog?

Dallas has a goalie so the Flyers are just out on Heiskanen

I have a cousin in Colorado who has a dog, maybe he can train it to **** outside of Cale Makar's garage everyday and he asks for a trade . 

People say Brandt Clarke on the Kings is a really good prospect. Maybe Danny can Jedi mind trick them into trading that guy and a 2nd for Hart.

It almost seems like the guys that will fit won't be available.  

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

It almost seems like the guys that will fit won't be available.  

Other teams aren't sitting around thinking who on their rosters can best benefit the Flyers at a reasonable price.

If the Flyers traded a Seider, Dobson, Dahlin, or Power for a late 20s RW we'd go NUTS.

The price is going to be HIGH to get "the guy we want" and I don't believe Danny Jones is willing to pay it.

• Like 2

There are 10 or so of these guys on the planet, and 4 or 5 of them are on the downside of their careers. These dmen play heavy minutes in big boy games. Durability is an issue, the ones who avoid injury are even more special. We are already seeing wear and tear on McEvoy and Makar. The only way to acquire these guys without overpaying is the draft. The earlier the pick, the better the chances. I giggle a bit when I see Hieskenin and Makar on this board. Coulda had either of them!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I giggle a bit when I see Hieskenin and Makar on this board. Coulda had either of them!!

Sure could have.

If we can envision the Flyers taking a Euro or college bound defenceman over the big Canadian center...

Which is pretty much what I said at the time.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Other teams aren't sitting around thinking who on their rosters can best benefit the Flyers at a reasonable price.

If the Flyers traded a Seider, Dobson, Dahlin, or Power for a late 20s RW we'd go NUTS.

The price is going to be HIGH to get "the guy we want" and I don't believe Danny Jones is willing to pay it.

I guess we would have to go after a guy that has not yet arrived as a top dman bit is highly regarded. For two examples.. Jiricek or Nemec. Both these teams have good defensemen and might possibly spare one for a good forward. We need a situation like that, I'm not saying it has to be those two guys specifically, but something similar.There has to be a few teams that need offense and have good depth on defense and are willing to trade a top young dman who has not necessarily arrived as a top player. Or other option is to stop winning and get a good pick or trade up. This is the year to do it,this draft is filled with  defensemen but we need to get the best one, not just a good one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Or other option is to stop winning and get a good pick or trade up.

They will stop winning, whether soon enough is a question.

They might have the capital to trade up...

Will be interesting...

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

They will stop winning, whether soon enough is a question.

They might have the capital to trade up...

Will be interesting...

Trading Seeler and Walker should cause us to drop like a stone, but as you said it may be too late at that point to drop enough spots.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Trading Seeler and Walker should cause us to drop like a stone, but as you said it may be too late at that point to drop enough spots.

I'm trading all my UFAs by the deadline.

Only guy you consider resigning is Walker.

My one and only reason to is so he can be that vet on the backend in 3 years pushing for the playoffs.

But also with that plan is by that time he is hopefully on the bottom pair and maybe even a trade deadline move by then.

Would he stay on a 3 year deal?

I'm doing everything i can to move Atkinson even pick maybe half his salary to even do so if it returns a nice pick or prospect for doing so (try not to let them know i would also do it for a crappy pick like a 6th).

I would move Tippett for a 1st too. Hopefully something else too comes back with him.

Hathaway is out of here too is my plan to add some depth to a playoff team.

If you go ahead and move off some of these players it might help them to settle in and get a top 10 pick in the up coming draft.

But i just know they are going to hold onto these assets and "go for it" and maybe acquire a piece or two. I'd love to be wrong.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:46 AM, mojo1917 said:

Makar, Morrissey.

Just go get you one in the upcoming draft around where they may select.

I expect him to hit a solid growth spurt in the next year and a half worst case he ends up being just a #2.

Better in a rebuild to find your own instead of trading for someone else's.

Just my 2 cents.

Buium/Bonk for a top pair in around 4 years??

But you never know could they drop low enough for a Artyom Levshunov??

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just go get you one in the upcoming draft around where they may select.

I expect him to hit a solid growth spurt in the next year and a half worst case he ends up being just a #2.

Better in a rebuild to find your own instead of trading for someone else's.

Just my 2 cents.

Buium/Bonk for a top pair in around 4 years??

But you never know could they drop low enough for a Artyom Levshunov??

Glad you posted  this .... I was just looking at D-men in the upcoming draft.  This kid appears to have the tools .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm trading all my UFAs by the deadline.

Only guy you consider resigning is Walker.

My one and only reason to is so he can be that vet on the backend in 3 years pushing for the playoffs.

But also with that plan is by that time he is hopefully on the bottom pair and maybe even a trade deadline move by then.

Would he stay on a 3 year deal?

I'm doing everything i can to move Atkinson even pick maybe half his salary to even do so if it returns a nice pick or prospect for doing so (try not to let them know i would also do it for a crappy pick like a 6th).

I would move Tippett for a 1st too. Hopefully something else too comes back with him.

Hathaway is out of here too is my plan to add some depth to a playoff team.

If you go ahead and move off some of these players it might help them to settle in and get a top 10 pick in the up coming draft.

But i just know they are going to hold onto these assets and "go for it" and maybe acquire a piece or two. I'd love to be wrong.

Here’s my take on Walker, like most UFAs in a contract year, he is having a career season. I have seen this time and time again, guaranteed  as soon as he signs a big long term deal,he never has a season like this again. Guys that are thirty years old are looking to cash in on their last contract . They are looking for big money and five years. I would not fall for it. We can can get a real nice return at the deadline, of all our older guys who are expendable, he will get us the most. Teams will overpay at the deadline for a cheap right handed dman, Attard can replace him. I would also look to unload Laughton and re sign Poehling who is a bigger stronger, younger and cheaper version of Laughton. We will miss Laughtons leadership and hustle but if someone is still offering a first round pick, goodbye. Why do you wanna trade Tippett, he’s got a tremendous shot, good size and is a thirty goal scorer, he’s young. He’s our best scorer besides Konecny 

• Like 3

I'd love to build the D around one of Brandt Clarke, Korchinski, Nikishin. Obviously they are not true no1's (yet). But I believe they will be. Not likely their respective teams would let them go at all unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctid said:

I'd love to build the D around one of Brandt Clarke, Korchinski, Nikishin. Obviously they are not true no1's (yet). But I believe they will be. Not likely their respective teams would let them go at all unfortunately.

Artyom Levshunov would be a good one to purge some talent before the deadline to drop down and get.

But the Flyers would have to move down to #6 or around there.

No sure if they can suck enough to do that.

Trade off Tippett, Laughton, Walker, Seeler and Staal that should be a good lead balloon down...it's a rebuild why wait?

Edited by OccamsRazor
I like Clarke too but Kings ain't moving him

On 1/5/2024 at 2:09 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Tippett is 88th in the NHL in goals and 159th in points, doesn't even notice that he has linemates and still hasn't figured out that there are two nets on the ice. He'll be 25 in a month, so we're not talking about a prospect. He won't get you a 1st-round pick, let alone a 1st + a sweetener.

• Like 1