Hart on leave…

@J0e Th0rnton

Something like that happened to me when I was younger.  I won't get into it but thankfully I convinced her to tell the truth as it was alienating me from everyone I knew.  I do understand why women's words are more trusted then men's though.  History doesn't lie.  On the flip side, It's sad that both sides aren't heard before judgements are passed.  The pendulum is swinging too far maybe.

Having two teenage daughters makes me shutter just thinking about the experiences that they hopefully will never have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Having two teenage daughters makes me shutter just thinking about the experiences that they hopefully will never have.

I had a SJW come at me for saying this back when Twitter was a thing.

You have probably seen teen girl mojo referenced here and that is her spirit jersey in my avatar pic.

One thing I think gets missed when men say this is, we see how childlike teenagers are- and it's not how we remember them from our teenaged years.

We (men) base our idea of teenage women on our memories (which are flawed but we remember our girlfriends from high school etcetera).. until a teenaged woman is in your house and can't smoosh a spider in her bathroom, it is revaltory as to how immature a 17, 18, 19 year old person is. 

Anyway I 100% have this fear as teen girl mojo gets set to go to school in Ohio, we live in South Central PA so it's 5.5 hours to get to her if things go badly.

I totally understand. There but for the grace of god go you and I.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:46 PM, mojo1917 said:

I don't think I agree with this.

If these players are found guilty they should be made to pay the consequences. I'm not talking punitive damages, I'm talking prison, probation debt to society.

That will change the lives of those involved.

If they are found not guilty, that's a different matter entirely.  I doubt the accuser will have enough money to handle the defamation suits that may follow a verdict of not guilty.

There are processes in place for the wrongfully accused to receive their justice.

The hue and cry of "Cancel Culture" often rings hollow or like a strawman argument to me.  In this instance it sounds like a poor excuse is being made for young men who should know better. 

I will let the court decide now that there are charges and I will accept the verdict. 

Men are found “not guilty” of sexual assault ALLLLL the time. It is very hard to prove in a court of law. It doesn’t mean the men are innocent nor that the assault didn’t happen. If the Ceown cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt a crime occurred, that doesn’t mean the victim is lying. They cannot sue her for defamation. Clearly Hockey Canada through their internal investigation concluded their players were at the very least inappropriate and settled for a few million with the accuser. 

• Like 3

I don't think anyone will be filling a defamation suit against the woman if the men are found not guilty. 

This was a criminal matter that the police investigated and obviously the police thought that there was enough evidence to warrant charges.

We'll have to wait for court to hear evidence, unless it's decided that there will be a publication/broadcast ban, which might be the case here.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

Men are found “not guilty” of sexual assault ALLLLL the time. It is very hard to prove in a court of law. It doesn’t mean the men are innocent nor that the assault didn’t happen. If the Ceown cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt a crime occurred, that doesn’t mean the victim is lying. They cannot sue her for defamation. Clearly Hockey Canada through their internal investigation concluded their players were at the very least inappropriate and settled for a few million with the accuser. 

I thought that the settlement amount wasn't public information? Indeed, Hockey Canada has paid out at least $17.xM that we know about, because that's the amount that the National Equity Fund was improperly used for, but to the best of my knowledge we haven't heard that this woman received millions of dollars.

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

What's going to make this really ugly is that there's apparently video of the sex and there's all the text messages between a player (I think it's Formenton) and the woman and the woman admits she had a good time and was sober. Regardless of whether they guilty or innocent, I think it's safe to say that their NHL careers are probably over. 

And just like that the Flyers loose their franchise goalie. Poof, Gone!

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

I guess it's good then that Ersson is up to snuff and the pipeline has some good goaltenders in it. I fully expect that they'll probably draft another goalie or two this upcoming draft.

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I thought that the settlement amount wasn't public information? Indeed, Hockey Canada has paid out at least $17.xM that we know about, because that's the amount that the National Equity Fund was improperly used for, but to the best of my knowledge we haven't heard that this woman received millions of dollars.

I think she sued for 3.8 million and received 2.5 million. I’m unsure where I read that.

5 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

I think she sued for 3.8 million and received 2.5 million. I’m unsure where I read that.

Every bit of reporting I've seen stated that she sued for $3.5 and received an undisclosed amount. I'm not trying to nitpick, but I think it's important to speak accurately in these matters, since there's always a knuckle dragger or two who will take immediate position that she saw this as some sort of get-rich-quick scheme. In Canada, the maximum amount of damages you can receive in a personal injury case is $414,689, reserved for catastrophic injuries, such as being paralyzed, severe brain damage, etc. She could sue for things like loss of wages, future income, etc, like Steve Moore did with Todd Bertuzzi, but she wouldn't have been likely to score a major windfall there, either.

The actual settlement amount is probably stunningly low, given what she endured.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Every bit of reporting I've seen stated that she sued for $3.5 and received an undisclosed amount. I'm not trying to nitpick, but I think it's important to speak accurately in these matters, since there's always a knuckle dragger or two who will take immediate position that she saw this as some sort of get-rich-quick scheme. In Canada, the maximum amount of damages you can receive in a personal injury case is $414,689, reserved for catastrophic injuries, such as being paralyzed, severe brain damage, etc. She could sue for things like loss of wages, future income, etc, like Steve Moore did with Todd Bertuzzi, but she wouldn't have been likely to score a major windfall there, either.

The actual settlement amount is probably stunningly low, given what she endured.

while that may be true, an out of court settlement can be any amount. And let’s not forget part of her settlement included a non-disclosure clause. HC more than likely paid well above the “maximum” to keep her quiet.

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

And just like that the Flyers lose a player that they could've gotten draft picks & prospects for.  This will certainly set back their rebuild quote a lot.

@Fuzz just like I asked SCFlyguy, when was the time to deal Carter?

He was extended after the playoff run, then he was terrible after COVID, I imagine this situation played into those struggles.

He was only starting to play well again this season. He was pretty up and down and far from a lock to be 'the man".

Today his value is nil, but truly when was he going to bring back a prospect and high draft pick?

I don't know that I can gnash my teeth over a missed opportunity that was never really "there".

To all:

The disappointment I feel having learned that one of our perceived "good guys" either assaulted or didn't stop an assault (which would be harder for a boy) is pretty profound.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

while that may be true, an out of court settlement can be any amount. And let’s not forget part of her settlement included a non-disclosure clause. HC more than likely paid well above the “maximum” to keep her quiet.

There isn't really a non-disclosure clause, because the Supreme Court of Canada declared that every out-of-court settlement in Canada must remain private. Maybe she received millions, and maybe she didn't, but Hockey Canada didn't need to pay her far more than a court would have awarded her to ensure her silence since neither side is allowed to talk about it.

I just don't think it's appropriate to talk about her getting millions of dollars when there just isn't evidence of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

@Fuzz just like I asked SCFlyguy, when was the time to deal Carter?

He was extended after the playoff run, then he was terrible after COVID, I imagine this situation played into those struggles.

He was only starting to play well again this season. He was pretty up and down and far from a lock to be 'the man".

Today his value is nil, but truly when was he going to bring back a prospect and high draft pick?

I don't know that I can gnash my teeth over a missed opportunity that was never really "there".

To all:

The disappointment I feel having learned that one of our perceived "good guys" either assaulted or didn't stop an assault (which would be harder for a boy) is pretty profound.

I think the time to trade him was at the trade deadline or right after the end of the season.  However, as you said, his trade value now is nil.  He has really set back the Flyers rebuild.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I had a SJW come at me for saying this back when Twitter was a thing.

You have probably seen teen girl mojo referenced here and that is her spirit jersey in my avatar pic.

One thing I think gets missed when men say this is, we see how childlike teenagers are- and it's not how we remember them from our teenaged years.

We (men) base our idea of teenage women on our memories (which are flawed but we remember our girlfriends from high school etcetera).. until a teenaged woman is in your house and can't smoosh a spider in her bathroom, it is revaltory as to how immature a 17, 18, 19 year old person is. 

Anyway I 100% have this fear as teen girl mojo gets set to go to school in Ohio, we live in South Central PA so it's 5.5 hours to get to her if things go badly.

I totally understand. There but for the grace of god go you and I.

My wife is 34 and can't  smush a spider LOL

• Haha 1

Nobody was going to take Hart off the Flyers hands, because everybody knew that this was a distinct possibility. Briere might have tried to deal him, but I can't think there was a large list of takers, given the possible trouble that was looming.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

This is still coming, too:

Halifax Regional Police say an investigation into a historic sexual assault allegation against members of Canada's 2003 world junior hockey team is ongoing.

Constable John MacLeod said in an email to The Canadian Press that investigators are still gathering evidence, speaking with people who may have relevant information and looking for ways to advance the investigation.

He said sexual assault investigations, particularly historical ones, are complex, but added there is no statute of limitations.

The incident under investigation is alleged to have occurred in Halifax during the 2003 world junior hockey championship and involved members of Canada’s team.

Halifax police said in July 2022 that they were opening the investigation shortly around the same time that police in London, Ont., reopened an investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving members of Canada's 2018 world junior team.

London police said Wednesday that they are planning a Feb. 5 news conference to provide an update of that investigation. That announcement came amid a Globe and Mail report that five members of the 2018 team have been ordered to surrender to police to face charges.

The Globe and Mail report came as five members of that team were granted a leave of absence from their current professional clubs: Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers, Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames, Michael McLeod and Cal Foote of the New Jersey Devils and former NHLer Alex Formenton, who is now playing in Switzerland.

Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General says no charges relating to the 2018 incident have been filed in court, and The Canadian Press has no information that connects the players' leaves to the investigation.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/halifax-police-sex-assault-investigation-involving-2003-junior-hockey-team-ongoing-1.2067618

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

HC more than likely paid well above the “maximum” to keep her quiet.

pure conjecture at this point with no proof and as @JR Ewing posted, "the Supreme Court of Canada declared that every out-of-court settlement in Canada must remain private."

39 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

And just like that the Flyers lose a player that they could've gotten draft picks & prospects for.  This will certainly set back their rebuild quote a lot.

Depending how long Briere and company knew this potentially could happen, as posted somewhere else, the NHL simply would not allow a transaction for a player under sometype of criminal investigation.  

I am willing to make an educated guess that the NHL and Flyers organization potentially knew about this for many many months .... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VanIsleFlyer said:

I just did a quick search of the Canadian 2003 World Junior team, to check out the names and wonder, and Briere was on it!

Just imagine..... OMG! 

Definitely not.    lol

Danny Briere was a junior in the 90s.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

There isn't really a non-disclosure clause, because the Supreme Court of Canada declared that every out-of-court settlement in Canada must remain private. Maybe she received millions, and maybe she didn't, but Hockey Canada didn't need to pay her far more than a court would have awarded her to ensure her silence since neither side is allowed to talk about it.

I just don't think it's appropriate to talk about her getting millions of dollars when there just isn't evidence of it.

Yes there was a confidentiality agreement. Provinces have been maki g these illegal since this happened. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/growing-calls-outlaw-non-disclosure-agreements-canada-1.6546531