Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

Seeler and Walker are two non-entities that were largely acquired for free.  The return doesn't really matter.  All he has to do is trade them and don't do anything dumb like keep them for a "playoff run" (or worse, resign them).

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

11 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

My prediction is Danny Briere flames out in under 5 years and never gets another front office job ever again.

you are just flyers hater and you always were.

Edited by tucson83

28 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Especially for a playoff run that might not even happen.

image.gif

They have 21 games left. Every team behind them has games in hand - if the Pens or Caps won their games in hand they are ahead or tied with the Flyers.

BY ALL MEANS keep "trying" by playing hard, but don't get some ideas that "making the playoffs" this season is in any way, shape, or form important.

This team is two years away from being two years away from being two years away.

It's a fun run. Fun to watch.

No where near the end.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

you are just flyers hater and you always were.

No, @SCFlyguyis like the rest of us who are tired of the same old dog and pony show the Flyers trot out every year and then try to sell it as 'see we're committed' and the only thing they commit to is mediocrity. They won't do a real rebuild. They refuse to take the lumps and try to cheat the rebuild process. And to make matters worse, they keep going on about culture and identity as being the core to a Flyers rebuild. It's insanity over and over and over. They continually make the same mistakes, but expect it will be different. Even Jones admitted that the rebuild statement was for the fans, but in the locker room, he said the rebuild was BS. Enough said.

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even Jones admitted that the rebuild statement was for the fans, but in the locker room, he said the rebuild was BS. Enough said.

Seriously??? Wow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even Jones admitted that the rebuild statement was for the fans, but in the locker room, he said the rebuild was BS. Enough said.

Flyers management never lies. 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

image.gif

They have 21 games left. Every team behind them has games in hand - if the Pens or Caps won their games in hand they are ahead or tied with the Flyers.

BY ALL MEANS keep "trying" by playing hard, but don't get some ideas that "making the playoffs" this season is in any way, shape, or form important.

This team is two years away from being two years away from being two years away.

It's a fun run. Fun to watch.

No where near the end.

I want us to collapse into a top 10 draft position. We have been very competitive,  no ten goal games against the Rangers, lots of good comebacks ,we haven’t been blown out alot, no multiple ten game losing streaks and many of our young players have improved a lot. That’s good enough progress for me, the draft is more important. We need a center and we need to trade Seeler,Walker and Laughton. These trades should guarantee us picking in the top ten.

If we can add two more first round picks, this is a big help to speed up the rebuild and ammunition to trade up in the draft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We need a center and we need to trade Seeler,Walker and Laughton. These trades should guarantee us picking in the top ten.

Talk to me when the re-sign Walker and Seeler and Laughton's A ain't going no where.

This was a multi-year process when it began and it's not going to go well if they start seeing the group as "definitely a playoff team."

I just get the sad feeling sometimes that if they won the Cup Briere and Jones would thank Clarke and Holmgren for their advice and counsel.

Which would be why they're never going to win the Cup.

We'll know better in a week.

:hocky:

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Jones admitted that the rebuild statement was for the fans, but in the locker room, he said the rebuild was BS.

Oh yes this is exactly the way Jones and Briere have been all year. Whenever they talk Flyers’ future they sneak in a wink right into the camera. If you’re “in the know” you can’t miss it.

But please humor me anyway and kindly (or irritably) provide a link that documents your outrageous claim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't see where the lie is. 

Of course in the locker room of a professional hockey club the idea of go out and lose or don't get hurt is a non- starter. 

Also if I'm an NHL player I'm not hoping some boy is going to come along and save the team. 

My attitude would be **** the rebuild also. 

I seriously don't think the front office shares the view with the players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I seriously don't think the front office shares the view with the players

Got to admit you lost me on this one, you and @BobbyClarkeFan16 both. You’re saying the managers are pretending to the players that there’s no rebuild happening? 

Appeasing the fans is one thing. Rebuild retool whatever who cares it’s the actions that matter. But you guys think management is deceiving the players about their intentions this year, and their plans going forward?

I’m sure I’m reading you wrong but I really don’t get it.

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh yes this is exactly the way Jones and Briere have been all year. Whenever they talk Flyers’ future they sneak in a wink right into the camera. If you’re “in the know” you can’t miss it.

But please humor me anyway and kindly (or irritably) provide a link that documents your outrageous claim.

It was on Philadelphia radio. I'll find the link for you.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/flyers/philadelphia-flyers-keith-jones-94wip-bs-message-rebuilding

Can't get much clearer than that. Jones pretty much admits to shitting on the fans.

hey thanks I really thought you’d made it up…or were exaggerating like crazy. My sincere apologies.

But now Jones has me more confused than ever. I’ll have to read it again bc it’s interesting as hell to me…but right now I seriously don’t get it. Why tell your players “it’s BS” when the entire hockey world can see exactly what you’re doing?

edit: message to the fans - eh I couldn’t care less as long as the trades are the type you do when rebuilding. But the “it’s BS” to the players is … disturbing to say the least.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

hey thanks I really thought you’d made it up…or were exaggerating like crazy. My sincere apologies.

But now Jones has me more confused than ever. I’ll have to read it again bc it’s interesting as hell to me…but right now I seriously don’t get it. Why tell your players “it’s BS” when the entire hockey world can see exactly what you’re doing?

edit: message to the fans - eh I couldn’t care less as long as the trades are the type you do when rebuilding. But the “it’s BS” to the players is … disturbing to say the least.

Don't apologize. We're cool.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But the “it’s BS” to the players is … disturbing to say the least.

His point, I think, was that the players shouldn't think of this as "rebuilding" and should go out and play hard regardless.

The rubber hits the road right now at the trade deadline. Are they "all in for the playoffs" or are they in a New Era of Orange?

🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Briere is going to Fletcher this deadline, isn't he....

Is Briere thinking if Walker and Seeler accept “team friendly” contracts that’s a good thing?

If he extends one of them bc he’s not satisfied with the offers we can live with that. But keeping them both would be ridiculous. He’d be forced to come out with something like, “rebuild what rebuild who said anything about a rebuild?”

edit: I was okay for awhile bringing them back this summer, assuming they were traded. Allow me to evolve my thinking …it’s either a rebuild or it isn’t. I still believe the Flyers are closer than most people believe. This year they showed just how far you can go with an under-talented squad with everyone on the same page. But now it’s time for Phase 2, which to me means out with the old(er) and in with the younger.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Talk to me when the re-sign Walker and Seeler and Laughton's A ain't going no where.

This was a multi-year process when it began and it's not going to go well if they start seeing the group as "definitely a playoff team."

I just get the sad feeling sometimes that if they won the Cup Briere and Jones would thank Clarke and Holmgren for their advice and counsel.

Which would be why they're never going to win the Cup.

We'll know better in a week.

:hocky:

I hope not, this is a big chance to expedite the rebuild and even if we draft a center this year ,it’s three years before he’s a factor. Coots will be shot in two years .Other than Konecny we don’t have much high end talent to acquire a center or high draft pick. We already have a setback in the rebuild with losing Gauthier and acquiring an injury prone small defenseman who is already behind in his development due to previous injuries. If someone is gonna overpay for these average defensemen having career years it better not be us. I sure hope we don’t make the same mistakes we’ve made for the last thirty years. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

His point, I think, was that the players shouldn't think of this as "rebuilding" and should go out and play hard regardless.

The rubber hits the road right now at the trade deadline. Are they "all in for the playoffs" or are they in a New Era of Orange?

🤔

They aren't talented enough to make a lot of noise once they get there, IMO anyway.. so forget the "all in for the playoffs". I would really like to add a veteran scorer and backup goalie, but if they can't do that..I'm more than happy to rid ourselves of the salaries of a player like Atkinson, who's best hockey days seem very much to be behind him. Then the organization's next step should be, stop overpaying.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Is Briere thinking if Walker and Seeler accept “team friendly” contracts that’s a good thing?

If he extends one of them bc he’s not satisfied with the offers we can live with that. But keeping them both would be ridiculous. He’d be forced to come out with something like, “rebuild what rebuild who said anything about a rebuild?”

edit: I was okay for awhile bringing them back this summer, assuming they were traded. Allow me to evolve my thinking …it’s either a rebuild or it isn’t. I still believe the Flyers are closer than most people believe. This year they showed just how far you can go with an under-talented squad with everyone on the same page. But now it’s time for Phase 2, which to me means out with the old(er) and in with the younger.

The problem with what you're saying is, management also thinks they're closer, which is what they've thought for going on 50 years now. But all they're closer to is being mediocre for the rest of our lives. 

What they really need is to get rid of anything that isn't going to help them when they actually KNOW they're closer, drop down in the standings, and acquire the real top end talent they need to get them closer. 

Walker, Seeler, Laughton etc are all decent players. They aren't core pieces you hang on to for a rebuild. They're the kind you add when you're tweaking for a run.