Trade: Flyers acquire Erik Johnson from Buffalo in exchange for 4th round 2024 NHL Draft pick

Agree -- Yes or No ?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Agree?

• Heck Yeah! On with the rebuild
    • WTH??? --- Hell No
    • I'm dazed and confused --- what is going on ???

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-acquire-erik-johnson-from-buffalo-in-exchange-for-a-fourth-round-2024-nhl-draft-pick

The Philadelphia Flyers today announced the club has acquired defenseman Erik Johnson from Buffalo in exchange for the Flyers’ fourth-round selection in the 2024 NHL Draft, according to General Manager Daniel Briere.

Johnson, 35 (3/21/88), collected three goals, 24 penalty minutes in 50 games with Buffalo this season. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound native of Bloomington, Minn., led the Sabres in shorthanded time on ice (152:31) and in shorthanded TOI/game (3:03) and ranked sixth in hits (93) and blocked shots (68). The right-shot blueliner has 340 points (91-249=340), 538 PIM in 970 career NHL games in 17 NHL seasons (2007-08, 2009-24) with St. Louis, Colorado and Buffalo. He won the 2021-22 Stanley Cup with the Avalanche and served as an alternate captain for six seasons with Colorado and for one season with the Blues. He ranks 13th among active NHL defensemen since 2007-08 in blocked shots (1,662), 15th in shots (1,907), T-16th in hits (1,586) and 17th in games played. He was originally selected by the Blues, first overall, of the 2006 NHL Draft.

Internationally, Johnson represented the United States at the 2006 and 2007 IIHF World Junior

Championships. He led all defensemen in the 2007 tournament in goals (4), assists (6) and points (11) and was named the best defenseman at the tournament and named to the WJC All-Star Team.

I guess the Brass doesn't want the youngins to be overplayed down the stretch. Either that, or some of the walking wounded won't be back for some time.  I doubt he's re-signed.  Is it worth a fourth-rounder to have peace-of-mind?  I wouldn't have pulled this trigger, but I am not the GM.  

Belpiedo has proven to be serviceable if they needed a body. I get not wanting to wreck young careers by putting them in high pressure situations if they are deemed not ready...but this is counter productive at best, downright stupid at worst. Stop treating assets like throw away crap! 

@radoran

I got dibs on where my lawn chairs goes on your lawn for the parade!!

I have 1st pick in the 2023 Lawn Chair draft fair and square!!!!

And no Rad didn't cheat and help me!!

Next person is 2nd!!!

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got dibs on where my lawn chairs goes on your lawn for the parade!!

Anything can happen, my man. Anything can happen.

I get the reasoning behind the deal of throwing a bone to the locker room after trading Walker.

I'm not worried about Comcast's money and they don't have anything to spend the $2M on next year anyway.

I am worried that they've started the "in a better position than we thought!" process.

Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once they start down the dark path, forever will it dominate their destiny, consume them it will, as it did Bobby Clarke's apprentice.

via GIPHY

• Haha 4

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m a little confused by this trade.  He’s a big, physical kind of player that blocks a lot of shots.  I wonder if this was a Torts influenced trade because he likes this type of player?

He is going to help keep the younger guys off the ice come what is not to love.

Cup bound baby!!!

1 minute ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m a little confused by this trade.  He’s a big, physical kind of player that blocks a lot of shots.  I wonder if this was a Torts influenced trade because he likes this type of player?

That is 100% exactly what this trade is about.

This is a Walker replacement for the playoff run.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

That is 100% exactly what this trade is about.

This is a Walker replacement for the playoff run.

They were teammates Danny's last year in the NHL too.

Familiar with him hey why not!!!

ALL IN!!!

I don't mind this. Provided as Howie says, he's not resigned. 

I think they needed an NHL body and not a Belpedio as was suggested by @jammer2 I don't think the outlook is good for Drysdale, Seeler or Risto, should something happen to Attard or Ginning they'd be really ****ed. 

i reckon it was good they had a 4th to throw at this situation. 

It's an asset, but how valuable? 

this valuable and it was put to decent use.

the rebuild is certainly over since this development. certainly is. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I guess the Brass doesn't want the youngins to be overplayed down the stretch. Either that, or some of the walking wounded won't be back for some time.  I doubt he's re-signed.  Is it worth a fourth-rounder to have peace-of-mind?  I wouldn't have pulled this trigger, but I am not the GM.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

ALL IN!!!

I really don't feel this is an "all in" move.

Dropping a 4th on an expiring contract as a recognition to the locker room for their continued efforts isn't a massive waste from where I sit.

Dealing some of those 1sts for "win now" would be "all in."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really don't feel this is an "all in" move.

Dropping a 4th on an expiring contract as a recognition to the locker room for their continued efforts isn't a massive waste from where I sit.

Dealing some of those 1sts for "win now" would be "all in."

Just joking around not what I wanted at all but at least it wasn't Chuck bad.

I would have just let guys like Brink and Attard play but that is just me.

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would have just let guys like Brink and Attard play but that is just me

I wouldn't be surprised if Attard does play some significant minutes down the stretch.

I think maybe this is in addition to @radoran 's theory, is also a hedge on Ginning who in spite of that great hit was -1 and got ****** caved when he was on the ice. his X/g was in the 20s. Ronnies' was in the high 50s.  Ginning's eye test looked good, but a lot of the Panther's cycle game got going when big 50 was out there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Attard does play some significant minutes down the stretch.

I think maybe this is in addition to @radoran 's theory, is also a hedge on Ginning who in spite of that great hit was -1 and got ****** caved when he was on the ice. his X/g was in the 20s. Ronnies' was in the high 50s.  Ginning's eye test looked good, but a lot of the Panther's cycle game got going when big 50 was out there. 

Attard should play significant minutes down the stretch. His size, physicality and shot are a welcome addition. He can also run a power play.

I'm just shaking my head over Erik Johnson though. He's cooked. There were better options available for the price that was paid for Johnson. If he plays big minutes, this club is in huge trouble.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm just shaking my head over Erik Johnson though. He's cooked. There were better options available for the price that was paid for Johnson. If he plays big minutes, this club is in huge trouble

It's an acquisition for basically nothing for a player who will play the way the coach wants.

The idea isn't "make the best move" it was "make a good move" and it was.

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's an acquisition for basically nothing for a player who will play the way the coach wants.

The idea isn't "make the best move" it was "make a good move" and it was.

I said there were better defenders available. I'm not looking for the best move either because they aren't there yet, not even close. But Johnson is disappointing. He's done. He only plays the way he does because he can't do anything else of value. And what's scary is that if this club makes the playoffs, it's very possible that he, Ristolainen, and Seeler will all play big minutes because "playoff hockey" and "grind". What's even sadder is that someone like Attard, who should be given a chance to run with it because he actually played rather well in Lehigh Valley, is going to have to sit and watch this play out. That's what really bugs me about this move. I think Attard showed the other night he can play. I've been meh on him, but he looked really solid against Florida. Honestly, he looked a bit like Dan McGillis his first year here. But, that's just me though.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They were teammates Danny's last year in the NHL too.

Familiar with him hey why not!!!

ALL IN!!!

YES, yes, familiar with him they are. 

Yoda – Thorny Thoughts

• Haha 1

To me, it's insurance...a cheap veteran Cup winning defenseman, who is willing and able to do a lot of things Seeler does, in case he gets hurt. Good move, and they only gave up a 4th round pick, for a 35 year old. 

• Like 2

Flyer fans last year: I'm so sick and tired of the ol' boys club hiring their pals, trading draft picks for washed up bums, signing older players for too long for too much and settling for mediocrity.

Flyer fans this year, after the same ol' boys club who'd hired the past ol' boys clubs hires ex-Flyer Briere, who just overpaid an over 30 defenceman for too long and traded a draft pick for a 35 year old while getting his team to almost exactly the middle of the pack in the NHL...

1c6943c372187ed186416b895f4eb06c.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

just overpaid an over 30 defenceman for too long and traded a draft pick for a 35 year old while getting his team to almost exactly the middle of the pack in the NHL...

I mean, sure, as far as this goes.

He also turned Ivan Provorov into two firsts and a second.

It also cost him a fifth he recouped with cap space to turn an expiring UFA into a 1st rounder.

He got rid of Kevin Hayes.

I have my issues with the Seeler deal, but it's not soul crushing or ridiculously onerous.

I do have concerns that Briere is doing the typical NHL GM things like the 4th for Johnson to make the draft pick worse. He just flat out said he thought the rebuild was "ahead of schedule".

And, yes, all they've got is another middling, bubble playoff team.

I want to see if he moves that needle with a significant move.

Otherwise the New Era is just the Old One with a boyish face.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Flyer fans last year: I'm so sick and tired of the ol' boys club hiring their pals, trading draft picks for washed up bums, signing older players for too long for too much and settling for mediocrity.

Flyer fans this year, after the same ol' boys club who'd hired the past ol' boys clubs hires ex-Flyer Briere, who just overpaid an over 30 defenceman for too long and traded a draft pick for a 35 year old while getting his team to almost exactly the middle of the pack in the NHL...

Exactly!

The more things change, the more they stay the same!