Game 79: Philadelphia Flyers at Montreal Canadiens; 4/9/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

6 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

The same amount of days Ferris Bueller skipped school in his senior year.

They need much more, than A Day Off.

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They need much more, than A Day Off.

Looks like they finish 12th i'd be happy with that...no way they can out tank Buffalo and NJD at this point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Funny I was chastised voicing my opinion against this move .....

This team flat out quit in the 2nd period .......

You and me both.  Almost makes me want to go back to Facebook to read about how we have the league right where we want them and will show everyone at the parade on Broad Street.

Edited by ruxpin

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Funny I was chastised voicing my opinion against this move .....

This team flat out quit in the 2nd period .......

The good news is THIS time the same abject stupidity will work.  Because history...or something.

Edited by ruxpin

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would laugh if they finish lower than the Sabres 

I call this "end of season goals"

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Uggh... 2

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

What a mess. They should have offloaded at the trade deadline, but they chose to keep Laughton, chose to give a shot blocking defenseman with no other discernable skills a four year deal and then dealt for another 35 year old defenseman instead of playing regulars who had put in their time in down at Lehigh Valley. This blew up spectacularly on management and coaching. 

I can't wait til they do the exact same thing next year, and we're having the exact same conversations about about veteran leadership and how the playoff run that doesn't materialize will benefit the team more than a high draft pick. And then wonder why this team is always in the same place it is. 🤔😆

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I can't wait til they do the exact same thing next year, and we're having the exact same conversations about about veteran leadership and how the playoff run that doesn't materialize will benefit the team more than a high draft pick. And then wonder why this team is always in the same place it is. 🤔😆

Yes that defensive stalwart Seeler was a -5 and the potential all star Drysdale was a -6, that re-signing and Gauthier trade are looking like some great moves.

• Uggh... 2

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Drysdale was a -6, that re-signing and Gauthier trade are looking like some great moves.

Applaud the effort made by the FO ... Cutter made it known loud and clear to the Flyers top brass he did not want to play for the Flyers.  It was an attempt to at least "try" to get a player before Cutter walked and the Flyers got nothing in return.

As I said ... I backed the move at the time (he was a #6 overall pick by the Ducks in 2020) His draft year scouting report gushed over him....

"What stands out about Drysdale? First thing that jumps out is his speed. He can recover from almost any situation by getting back on defense if the puck goes the other way. He doesn’t have the size yet, but he uses his hands and stick to disrupt his opponents. The number of turnovers he created by stick checking was absurd.

When he wasn’t frustrating opponents, he was creating offense from any zone. Whether it was the first pass out or his acceleration into the opponent’s zone, Drysdale always has offense on his mind. He’s not afraid to shoot when given the chance. But he can make plays even when there’s not much room to work with. He made the Otters dangerous on the rush.

It’s hard to find faults in Drysdale’s game as it’s a bit nitpicky. But in seeing enough of him this season, two things do stand out. He can miss the net in bunches especially on the power play. This has led to odd-man rushes the other way. He needs to get his shot on net more to create havoc around the net. He also needs to choose his battles more carefully. He tends to be aggressive and sometimes it costs him. Opponents at the next level will feast on that aggressiveness. When he’s in control and makes the right reads, he’s usually the best player on the ice.

In the end, the good far outweigh the bad. Whoever lands Drysdale will not only get an elite player, but they’ll get a great leader and someone of very high character. He is one of the genuinely nice guys in the entire OHL. He brings the total package on and off the ice."

"Drysdale’s potential at the next level is sky high. He can be both a shutdown defender on your top pair and your power-play quarterback for the next decade. Players like this only become available at the draft."

In retrospect, I had NO idea how injury prone he has become.   He still is only 22 so there is room for development and growth .....  I do admit his injuries are concerning.

I'm not throwing him to the sharks yet nor am I going to overly criticize the FO for this move .....  In the end Cutter simply was determined not to play for the Flyers.

Drysdale at the time seemed like a great consolation prize.

Time will tell ......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yep, same every year.  The same people get excited about the organization making nothing moves (bringing in a nobody, bringing up a middling prospect, or getting rid of a poster's new least favorite player) and think the organization has now figured out the new secret sauce that no one else has figured out (how to win without rebuilding).  It's tiring.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

What would you base that prediction on?  I mean really, just because it's repeatedly happened and we're stll doing the same damn thing doesn't mean that Phil Connors won't do some random good deeds for us and things won't change.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Drysdale shouldn't be on the ice "for a playoff run" he should be sitting down and getting fully healthy for next year. He's a moment away from a career ending shoulder injury.

This whole "playoff push" thing was been the predictable disaster it has become.

And this team's insistence upon shoving guys back onto the ice as soon as humanly possible for them to skate without falling over hasn't served them well - EVER.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I am convinced they are hopeless and incurable at this point... Regardless of new faces, new brass, new narrative, new... everything, the MO will never change wit this team. It's frankly disgusting and nauseating. 

• Like 4
  • Annoyed 1

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

I am convinced they are hopeless and incurable at this point... Regardless of new faces, new brass, new narrative, new... everything, the MO will never change wit this team. It's frankly disgusting and nauseating. 

you would think your "definitely a playoff team" would be able to TCOB with bottom feeders like Montreal and Columbus in "a playoff push".

Instead they lose 15-6.

To Columbus and Montreal.

And we're "further along than we thought" and the "culture" is fixed and we have FALLEN IN LOVE WITH JOURNEYMAN WAIVER WIRE PICKUPS WHO ARE ESSENTIAL TO OUR CULTURAL REBUILD.

It's insane.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

Greetings:

I think this is a good take on the loss and its fit in recent Flyer history:

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-vs-canadiens-the-worst-loss-of-the-john-tortorella-era/576970/

Jordan Hall is part of the organeyezhasion--this is sober coming from the inside.  Tortorella's post-game presser was somber.  But he did touch on the painful reality of talent (or lack thereof).  

On that score (no pun intended), the ELC to this gentleman doesn't make sense.  He is projected as a bottom-six dude.  

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/posts/flyers-sign-swedish-winger-oscar-eklind-to-entry-level-deal

Are they buying out Nic?  Do they think a hulking forward "makes them tougher to play against?"  Reading about signing a speedy winger might mean more to this team.  What the hell do I know?

Well Ryan Poehling is kinda cute. 

The Flyers made the Canadiens look like the Harlem Globetrotters last night.

That was an embarrassing display.

Play like that vs the Rangers and they could lose by double digits.

Why Couturier and Drysdale are playing boggles my mind.  Shut those guys and Sanhiem down.

This season is over the only thing left to do for them this year is shorten their careers.

It's a shame this entertaining season is ending this way, however, maybe it highlights the true talent level of the club and will spur people to action.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

t's a shame this entertaining season is ending this way, however, maybe it highlights the true talent level of the club and will spur people to action.

Yep!  Torts had a marginally competent squad earlier in the season.  Then came legal, medical, and trade "issues."  The remnant is sub-par, and candidly, our young "scorers." aren't scoring.  Our goaltending--boy, what we thought was a strength may not be.  This is going to be a long summer, and buyouts may be atop the list of "to-dos," just to clear cap and roster space. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That was an embarrassing display.

I was done before they yanked Ersson.

I just had other things to do than watch this team not care it's way to the golf range.

They can sh!t the bed all they want i don't have to watch.

Danny Boy has his work cut out for him with this group. It's time for Torts to head into the distance and let Shaw take over from here the ones who are left will need some healing and i can't see Torts being the one for that.

A lot of crap to sort through not even sure where they begin.

• Like 1

Honestly, these beat downs are the best thing that can happen. First off, the more we lose, the better our draft pick. We may even get something decent out of this. Secondly, now Torts can't (or at least shouldn't) talk Briere into dealing draft picks for more Atkinsons/Staals and Johnsons so we can GO FOR IT AGAIN next year. 

• Like 1

If anyone's looking for something to watch and hasn't already, I'm mid-season 2 of Yellowjackets.   It's mostly dark but often funny and, for me, really very good.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled spin cycle.