Flyers 2023-24: A Post-Season Appraisal

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Right...and you've learned nothing from Chicago, Tampa, Colorado, Pittsburgh, LA, Washington who've won 12 of the last 15 cups (and thats including Vegas who no other team can build like they did). 12 out of 14 sounds like pretty good way to build a team....but you keep dreaming your 2 of 14 is better. 

If the Flyers futile attempts at building a champion since the cap came into effect doesn't show you they have no clue how to do it, I don't know what to tell you. 

Spot On!!!  👏

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

this is a rebuild, to you you have to tank to rebuild and yet you learned nothing from buffalo, ottawa, phoenix, never ending making the playoffs and the toronto maple leafs with their top 5 superstars cant beat the boston bruins, that have no top 5 guys. it doesnt sound like it's about winning cups, it's about getting superstars and not care if they crap the bed like matthews.

Buffalo - the rebuild has featured an unending litany of rookie GMs who make rookie mistakes over and over again. They are a great example of why I didn't consider Briere to be the strongest possible bet for GM of the Philly rebuild. You don't train ship captains by making sure that their first voyage is in a typhoon.

Ottawa - had a terrible owner who interfered at every level. He died in 2022, and the team has only been sold to a new owner less than a year ago.

Phoenix - the very definition of the worst sort of ownership possible. They've been reaching the cap floor by taking on LTIR contracts and have been forced to pre-pay for hotels and flights. Competing hasn't possible, regardless of rebuilds.

Toronto - strong team, but the rebuild was hampered by mostly drafting wingers, and then Kyle Dubas signing John Tavares to his massive deal. Dubas was forced to move quality depth pieces (like Nazem Kadri) on value contracts, and the team has been trying to plug those holes since that time.

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

this is a rebuild, to you you have to tank to rebuild and yet you learned nothing from buffalo, ottawa, phoenix, never ending making the playoffs and the toronto maple leafs with their top 5 superstars cant beat the boston bruins, that have no top 5 guys. it doesnt sound like it's about winning cups, it's about getting superstars and not care if they crap the bed like matthews.

1) you know nothing about hockey and you thought Fletcher was doing a good job.  Go away.

2) there is no such thing as tanking.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm completely with you on the Edmonton experience. I can certainly emphasize (empathize) that it had to be painful

Wow. I was completely sober and still missed the typo (i swipe to type and didn't realize. Probably not technically a typo). I miss the days that I could go back and edit.

Last night, I looked at our historical record and was reminded of how we made it to finals with some regularity in the 70s and early 80s, and then comes 2010. If memory serves, there was a stretch when Boston, Philly, Montreal, and the Isles were a finalist for 6-7 years running.

As I've said before, management hasn't adapted to the New NHL post-2005. We don't get the speed. We don't seem to manage a draft. And yes, there is enormous parity. Every game, pick, and trade matters.

Would this team be better if we had top 5 picks a few years in a row? Hopefully. But I look at the last 15 years of first rounders and bad trades, and wonder about poor luck and management.

Briere may be the first GM in recent history who is candid about our shortcomings. He rates 2-3 years to see if we finally make it into the New NHL. Drafting Michkov took courage. Bringing Fedotov here took skill and tact. Drysdale may be Patrick II. Let's see. At least he's in our jersey. It appears we'd never see Gauthier.

We have not heard anything from Homer and Clarke. Good. The Cup Era people have passed from the scene. That may have been a bigger impediment than we can imagine.

If we can build on our D and start winning against Metro teams, the worst may be over.

• Like 2

I've read that the Flyers are looking to gear up and see about the availability of guys like Necas, Rossi, Krebs, and Zegras this summer. Now, if they're moving out guys like Laughton, Atkinson, Farabee, I'd have no problems with that DEPENDING what the cost is. I know Carolina is going to be in a huge cash crunch this summer, so they might be able to squeeze a Necas from Carolina. I'm not sure what Minnesota would want for Rossi and Krebs would be part of the package Buffalo would offer up for Laughton. Zegras is the dark horse here because nobody knows what Verbeek would want. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

44 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

1) you know nothing about hockey and you thought Fletcher was doing a good job.  Go away.

2) there is no such thing as tanking.

this isnt not about fletch, i know alot about hockey when superstars like matthews and mcdavid are always blowing it in the playoffs, if you know anything about hockey why dont you grow a pair and tell me why? i can tell you why but you are the one that doesnt want to hear it.

Edited by tucson83

On 4/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, RonJeremy said:

I don't have any proof,just like you don't have proof that Drysdale was the best deal out there

Yeah, good point. I’m sure Danny had better offers on the table but said, “FCK that. I’m going to take a lesser deal, and all you haters can suck it” :eyeroll:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Yeah, good point. I’m sure Danny had better offers on the table but said, “FCK that. I’m going to take a lesser deal, and all you haters can suck it” :eyeroll:

Well, it sounds like the move of a Flyer GM. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Is 47 goals and 110 points a superstar player?

🤔

Guess it depends on your idea of a superstar, but certainly a star. 

And yes, players like that can be had further down in the draft. Just not by Flyer GMs. 

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Guess it depends on your idea of a superstar, but certainly a star. 

And yes, players like that can be had further down in the draft. Just not by Flyer GMs. 

Sure they can. But planning on finding those guys is a fool's errand.

Teams may hit on a guy like that once in 10-15 years.

The Flyers got a pretty good player at 22 once... Not that they planned on it or the GM even knew his name, but they did! And then tremendously overvalued him...

There are also fewer and fewer European players being "missed" like Kucherov.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

this isnt not about fletch, i know alot about hockey when superstars like matthews and mcdavid are always blowing it in the playoffs, if you know anything about hockey why dont you grow a pair and tell me why? i can tell you why but you are the one that doesnt want to hear it.

In fairness, Yzerman also blew it numerous times in the playoffs. I'm sure everyone would have killed to have a Steve Yzerman in their lineup though. Context matters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Sure they can. But planning on finding those guys is a fool's errand.

Teams may hit on a guy like that once in 10-15 years.

The Flyers got a pretty good player at 22 once... Not that they planned on it or the GM even knew his name, but they did! And then tremendously overvalued him...

There are also fewer and fewer European players being "missed" like Kucherov.

I didn't know if they tremendously overvalued him as much as they refused to find good complimentary talent for him. There was Voracek and Couturier, but they really hung G out to dry numerous times. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I didn't know if they tremendously overvalued him as much as they refused to find good complimentary talent for him. There was Voracek and Couturier, but they really hung G out to dry numerous times. 

They valued him like he was Sidney Crosby. He was "the guy" they built "the trades" around.

He was never that good.

They hung him out to dry making him a captain for the first time in the NHL and making a complimentary playmaking winger into a #1C.

If they had never "won the trades" he might have been setting Jeff Carter up for a decade instead of passing back and forth with Voracek.

That's just scratching the surface of the past decade of ineptitude.

Edited by radoran
  • Good Post 2

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Not really, in his mind Drysdale may have been the best offer but in Chuck Fletchers mind trading for and re-signing Risto was a good idea too. It all depends on your idea of a good deal. I would rather have had a player who didn’t spend his first three years with major injuries. I don’t how much talent you supposedly have, I’m just as concerned as if you can stay on the ice. I would think after Patrick and Ellis we would be wary of trading for anyone with injuries, but obviously not. They also thought signing Seeler for four years was a good idea too.  Briere has made one good move so far , drafting Michkov. We have to wait and see if he turns into Shmuck Fletcher the second.

Edited by RonJeremy

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Briere has made one good move so far , drafting Michkov.

The Provorov deal was a good one.

He got rid of Hayes.

He got a first for Walker (2 1sts and a 2nd for Provorov). He got a 5th for cap space.

He added a second with Drysdale...

His off-season signings were the foundation for this team achieving what it did (regardless of how we might feel about it).

Overall he's infinitely better than Chuck Fletcher just based on where they are now.

That's no guarantee of future success...

:hocky:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

44 minutes ago, radoran said:

He got rid of Hayes.

He got a first for Walker (2 1sts and a 2nd for Provorov). He got a 5th for cap space.

His off-season signings were the foundation for this team achieving what it did (regardless of how we might feel about it).

Overall he's infinitely better than Chuck Fletcher just based on where they are now.

I think the Drysdale trade will be a flop, I know he’s better than the other idiots we had, but he can’t miss in this draft and no drafting longshots , when you are lacking in talent you gotta go for the more sure thing. We have some catching up to do and I really hope we trade up for a high end dman, since there are only a couple of centers. I just hope he doesn’t go out and sign any 28 yr old UFAs like Reinhart , if we weren’t stuck with Coots then maybe. I heard we may trade Farabee, so that will free up 5 million, so you never know.

It was. 

He got rid of Hayes.

Any GM in the league would have. 

Well he got a 1st for Walker, a 5th and taking on Ryan Johansen and his contract. 

Well I guess that's better than giving one which most other Flyer GMs would have. 

No comment. 😆

Theres gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe better than Chuck Fletchers hockey sense.

Two years away, from two years away...

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

It was. 

Any GM in the league would have. 

Well he got a 1st for Walker, a 5th and taking on Ryan Johansen and his contract. 

Well I guess that's better than giving one which most other Flyer GMs would have. 

No comment. 😆

Theres gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe better than Chuck Fletchers hockey sense.

Drysdale missed almost two full seasons, missed half the games after being traded to Philly and now he needs offseason core surgery and as we have all seen  before, it takes an entire season to get back to normal from that. So at this point we can’t even say that we broke even in the Gauthier deal. I have a sinking feeling it’s gonna be a big loss in that trade. I hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

You know where I am on things.

However, overall it's not a bad body of work from Briere for year one.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3