2024 Entry Level Draft - Confirmed Flyers pick at #12

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

image.png.eaf54a2d2b85076eb27e1228227ddb0e.png

Bobby Mac already has a new ranking, Eisermann is 13th on it.

MCKENZIE'S LOTTERY EDITION DRAFT RANKING

RK PLAYER TEAM POS HT WT GP G P
1 Macklin Celebrini  Boston U (NCAA) C 6'0 190 38 32 64
2 Ivan Demidov St. Petersburg (MHL) RW/C 5'11 181 30 23 60
3 Anton Silayev Nizhny Novgorod (KHL) D 6'7 211 63 3 11
4 Artyom Levshunov Michigan State (NCAA) D 6'2 209 38 9 35
5 Cayden Lindstrom Medicine Hat (WHL) C 6'3 210 32 27 46

6 Sam Dickinson London (OHL) D 6'3 194 68 18 70
7 Zayne Parekh Saginaw (OHL) D 6'0 181 66 33 96
8 Zeev Buium Denver (NCAA) D 6'0 183 42 11 50
9 Konsta Helenius Jukurit (SM Liiga) C 5'11 181 51 14 36
10 Tij Iginla Kelowna (WHL) LW 6'0 185 64 47 84

11 Berkly Catton Spokane (WHL) C 5'11 163 68 54 116
12 Carter Yakemchuk Calgary (WHL) D 6'3 194 66 30 71
13 Cole Eiserman USA NTDP (USHL) LW 6'0 196 56 57 88
14 Beckett Sennecke Oshawa (OHL) RW 6'2 181 63 27 68
15 Trevor Connelly Tri-City (USHL) LW 6'1 161 52 31 78

Edited by flyercanuck

Here are his rankings as of Monday:

image.png.6d24fda9649cc1e36ad07ed7c2f92adb.png

32 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Bobby Mac already has a new ranking, Eisermann is 13th on it.

MCKENZIE'S LOTTERY EDITION DRAFT RANKING

RK PLAYER TEAM POS HT WT GP G P
1 Macklin Celebrini  Boston U (NCAA) C 6'0 190 38 32 64
2 Ivan Demidov St. Petersburg (MHL) RW/C 5'11 181 30 23 60
3 Anton Silayev Nizhny Novgorod (KHL) D 6'7 211 63 3 11
4 Artyom Levshunov Michigan State (NCAA) D 6'2 209 38 9 35
5 Cayden Lindstrom Medicine Hat (WHL) C 6'3 210 32 27 46

6 Sam Dickinson London (OHL) D 6'3 194 68 18 70
7 Zayne Parekh Saginaw (OHL) D 6'0 181 66 33 96
8 Zeev Buium Denver (NCAA) D 6'0 183 42 11 50
9 Konsta Helenius Jukurit (SM Liiga) C 5'11 181 51 14 36
10 Tij Iginla Kelowna (WHL) LW 6'0 185 64 47 84

11 Berkly Catton Spokane (WHL) C 5'11 163 68 54 116
12 Carter Yakemchuk Calgary (WHL) D 6'3 194 66 30 71
13 Cole Eiserman USA NTDP (USHL) LW 6'0 196 56 57 88
14 Beckett Sennecke Oshawa (OHL) RW 6'2 181 63 27 68
15 Trevor Connelly Tri-City (USHL) LW 6'1 161 52 31 78

yes... I know ... i was trying to copy and paste and had to reboot my computer ...you beat me too it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 3:02 PM, flyercanuck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary takes Iginla, he's ranked right around their pick. 

Celebrini isn't generational...neither is Bedard or Matthews. Think Jonathan Toews in his prime...that's Celebrini. I guy you can count on shorthanded, 5 on 5 or PP. A great 200 foot player.

I would crawl across the desert for a Jonathan Toews. He led the young Hawks to 3 Cups. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I would crawl across the desert for a Jonathan Toews. He led the young Hawks to 3 Cups. 

Prime Toews was great. I'd love to have that. Or Celebrini.  But they aren't generational talents.  

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I want no part of Eiserman. Yay if someone else takes him and he hits. But those red flags he has are HUGE red flags, especially the skating, the hockey iq, the lack of attention to defense and disappearing in games when he's not scoring. That sounds like someone who only plays one way and won't adapt, no matter how much coaching he receives. 

I get that some compare him to Caulfield, but I don't see that. I see a guy who will end up being a coach killer by his refusal to do what's asked of him. He'll only play one way - his way. 

That would explain the slide in rankings for him...

He was slotted for # 2 for a long time, til scouts saw his style.

Waking and baking in Destin beach

...doesn’t get much better than this.

Just want two good pieces to help towards winning a Cup.

2 just hit them guess the hell with the rest of it

What a beautiful morning.

An.hour behind East coast time my body's clock doesn't care.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the Flyers get some more talented centers, starting in the first round. I don't think a franchise can have enough good to great ones. I hope they can get Lindstrom..or to a lesser extent, Iginla. I think they need to avoid Hage, and most especially Eiserman.

34 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I hope they can get Lindstrom..or to a lesser extent, Iginla.

Sadly Lindstrom will probably be top 5 ...there is no way he drops to #12

Most experts have Iginla going to Calgary where his dad played.  If the Flyers truly covet him, then they might have to trade up in order to draft him.  Again ...unless there is a HUGE run on D-men, I see the Flyers just missing out on Iginla.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Sadly Lindstrom will probably be top 5 ...there is no way he drops to #12

Most experts have Iginla going to Calgary where his dad played.  If the Flyers truly covet him, then they might have to trade up in order to draft him.  Again ...unless there is a HUGE run on D-men, I see the Flyers just missing out on Iginla.

I know that I'm in the minority, but why not see what someone would give for pick 12? For instance, say Dallas came knocking and they were "hey, we really like someone, but they won't be there when we draft. We're willing to build a package around our first, Mavrik Bourque and Christian Kyrou to move up." I think that's something that should be considered, especially if the Flyers plan on using Laughton and the Florida first to move up (apparently they're targeting Buffalo). So, you'd be looking at pick 11, Mavrik Bourque, Christian Kyrou and the Dallas 1st (probably 31 - 32). That's not a bad haul.

In the end, I know that I want one of the centers (Catton, Helenius, Iginla) or Yakemchuk, if they don't move. But, it's food for thought.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

apparently they're targeting Buffalo

Buffalo giving up their pick for Laughton and a 25+ (32?) pick in a shallow draft would be peak Sabre.

And not in a good way.

I'm all for exploring options with #12 overall.

Pending who's on the board of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Buffalo giving up their pick for Laughton and a 25+ (32?) pick in a shallow draft would be peak Sabre.

And not in a good way.

I'm all for exploring options with #12 overall.

Pending who's on the board of course.

Buffalo is under the gun though in terms of getting into the playoffs. There's real pressure now. And yeah, that's a buffalo thing too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Buffalo is under the gun though in terms of getting into the playoffs. There's real pressure now. And yeah, that's a buffalo thing too.

Well, if it's Laughton, our first, and Florida's - that's a horse of a different colour.

But Laughton's not going anywhere.

Not my preference. Just the way it is.

:hocky:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I know that I'm in the minority, but why not see what someone would give for pick 12? For instance, say Dallas came knocking and they were "hey, we really like someone, but they won't be there when we draft. We're willing to build a package around our first, Mavrik Bourque and Christian Kyrou to move up." I think that's something that should be considered, especially if the Flyers plan on using Laughton and the Florida first to move up (apparently they're targeting Buffalo). So, you'd be looking at pick 11, Mavrik Bourque, Christian Kyrou and the Dallas 1st (probably 31 - 32). That's not a bad haul.

In the end, I know that I want one of the centers (Catton, Helenius, Iginla) or Yakemchuk, if they don't move. But, it's food for thought.

I'm thinking similarly.   And the GM across the parking lot in Philly would make this happen without getting out of bed.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

silver lining...JVR type bust at #12 seems a lot easier to take than JVR bust at #2  :bonkingheadonwall:

I get that. But with scorers Michkov/Foerster/Tippett already there or in the pipeline, why take yet another winger when it's the ONLY position of strength the Flyers have, when this draft should have defencemen and maybe a centre or two when we pick? Now I get you always take best player available with a 1st rounder, but I'm pretty sure that when it  comes to selecting 12th, he isn't the BPA and we could take a position we actually need. 

Of course the Flyers don't usually plan anything, so I can see Eisermann being added to the wing stockpile while we sorely lack everywhere else.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I know that I'm in the minority, but why not see what someone would give for pick 12? For instance, say Dallas came knocking and they were "hey, we really like someone, but they won't be there when we draft

We don't know what the plan is and that is a big reason why there are some who think, there isn't one, or that it's a bad one.

Based on past performance it's difficult to blame those thinking that way.

This management group has been pretty disciplined about keeping their yaps shut. 

There is nothing to be done until the playoffs are over but scout and compile those reports.

So cue the speculation in all ways.

I maintain that the GM has kept his eye on the ball when it comes to improving the club, I also think events have transpired that have forced a change in the timeline (Gautier) and methodology.

These events continue to be fluid with Michkov...is he or isn't he going to be available. 

I wouldn't put it past Danny to be thinking the way you are with multiple teams.

I continue to hope they don't try to turn this around too quickly. 

By this I mean, trade for Mitch Marner or something that smacks of impatience.

Unless it's a one for one for Konecny and Toronto uses it as a potential salary cap savings. 

I also hope they slow roll signing an extension for Travis even though he is one of my favorite players currently.

No need to lock him up now. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

more and more, I'm leaning toward Helenius....I would want Iginla, but it seems like his pre-draft hype is building and I don't think he makes it past #10...and trading up in a "weak" draft is a risky proposition, in any draft for that matter 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm so split between Helenius and Iginla. I'm afraid it's the last name that is blinding me, but I think there is more high end skill with Iginla and Helenius is the more "safe" choice. He is going to be a very good two way forward. I see him in the mold of a lundell (stylistic comparison). But my order if they are available at 12 is Catton, Iginla/Helenius, Yakemchuck. Yakemchuck is falling I hear, apparently he is a d-man who is not really that good at defense. Still think he is going to be good, but there is risk with him. I don't like the idea that we need to teach defense to our dmen. 

Another thing. I think there is a trade to be made with Buffalo for their 11th. The need NHL ready players, not prospects that are 2-3 years away. I would start with Laughton plus a 1st (Florida pick). I think that is fair. Would love if we picked 11 and 12, that way we immediately get two out of those three/four names we are talking about and stockpile the prospects cupboard.

Edited by ctid
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 5:25 PM, flyercanuck said:

Carter Yakemchuk

I seen a scout say this kid was Matthew Tkachuk on defense.

GNeuC_cWsAAOsSt.jpg.d4a73c7ca95879ef196d2bd5cdd265c9.jpg

A right hand shot too i'd rather go with this kid than Eiserman!

My 2 cents on it...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ctid said:

I'm so split between Helenius and Iginla. I'm afraid it's the last name that is blinding me, but I think there is more high end skill with Iginla and Helenius is the more "safe" choice. He is going to be a very good two way forward. I see him in the mold of a lundell (stylistic comparison). But my order if they are available at 12 is Catton, Iginla/Helenius, Yakemchuck. Yakemchuck is falling I hear, apparently he is a d-man who is not really that good at defense. Still think he is going to be good, but there is risk with him. I don't like the idea that we need to teach defense to our dmen. 

Another thing. I think there is a trade to be made with Buffalo for their 11th. The need NHL ready players, not prospects that are 2-3 years away. I would start with Laughton plus a 1st (Florida pick). I think that is fair. Would love if we picked 11 and 12, that way we immediately get two out of those three/four names we are talking about and stockpile the prospects cupboard.

I was reading something about Helenius where some scout said he does everything well, but nothing exceptional. Well, he's an 18 year old playing against men and he's fared pretty well. I'd call that exceptional. Being an 18 year old who is competing against men and not looking out of place while playing a regular turn on the power play and penalty kill is pretty damned impressive.

As for Yakemchuk, it's not that the defense is bad. The IQ seems to be there and he seems to understand the nuances of the position. What kills him is that at times when things get hairy in the defensive zone, he kind of loses his cool. Having a veteran mentor to point out those things would go a long way in getting Yakemchuk to settle down. Other than that, he's a plus skater, he's a superb puck handler, he's got a good shot, he's physical, he's mean, he can stand players up at the blueline, he has an active stick and he can man the point on the power play.  

If the Flyers can't get that 11th overall choice from Buffalo, I'm perfectly fine if the Flyers target someone like Isak Rosen or Jiri Kulich (I'm much more preferable to Kulich). Not getting a first isn't the end of the world, but getting an elite prospect certainly makes up for it. And contrary to what some might think, Laughton could bring back a very good prospect. I know that he's not popular with some on here, but he can play all throughout the lineup, he's a good character guy, he's an elite penalty killer and he's good for 35 to 40 points a year, regardless of the role he's put in. That's valuable come playoff time and teams look for that. 

Wouldn't it be something though if the Flyers moved Laughton and the Florida first to Buffalo for pick 11 and they end up getting Catton AND Helenius. What a way to rebuild the center spot (although I think they'll probably look for some size down the middle and it wouldn't surprise me if 11 was used to draft Catton or Helenuis and then use pick 12 for someone like Michael Hage <- who's really starting to grow on me the more and more video I see of him).  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I was reading something about Helenius where some scout said he does everything well, but nothing exceptional. Well, he's an 18 year old playing against men and he's fared pretty well. I'd call that exceptional. Being an 18 year old who is competing against men and not looking out of place while playing a regular turn on the power play and penalty kill is pretty damned impressive.

As for Yakemchuk, it's not that the defense is bad. The IQ seems to be there and he seems to understand the nuances of the position. What kills him is that at times when things get hairy in the defensive zone, he kind of loses his cool. Having a veteran mentor to point out those things would go a long way in getting Yakemchuk to settle down. Other than that, he's a plus skater, he's a superb puck handler, he's got a good shot, he's physical, he's mean, he can stand players up at the blueline, he has an active stick and he can man the point on the power play.  

If the Flyers can't get that 11th overall choice from Buffalo, I'm perfectly fine if the Flyers target someone like Isak Rosen or Jiri Kulich (I'm much more preferable to Kulich). Not getting a first isn't the end of the world, but getting an elite prospect certainly makes up for it. And contrary to what some might think, Laughton could bring back a very good prospect. I know that he's not popular with some on here, but he can play all throughout the lineup, he's a good character guy, he's an elite penalty killer and he's good for 35 to 40 points a year, regardless of the role he's put in. That's valuable come playoff time and teams look for that. 

Wouldn't it be something though if the Flyers moved Laughton and the Florida first to Buffalo for pick 11 and they end up getting Catton AND Helenius. What a way to rebuild the center spot (although I think they'll probably look for some size down the middle and it wouldn't surprise me if 11 was used to draft Catton or Helenuis and then use pick 12 for someone like Michael Hage <- who's really starting to grow on me the more and more video I see of him).  

Thanks for the Yakemchuck insight. I dont have a way to see these kids play besides short youtube clips, so I'm over reliant on what is written about them and take that as gospel.

Totally agree regarding Helenius, he has all the tools to be the kind of player that coaches and fans love. A good 2C, Selke candidate type player, no fuss player, with consistent point production of 50-60 range maybe?

If we managed to get that 11th and Yakemchcuk is available, then I dont see how they pass on the forward/defense combo, with the forward being one of Catton/Helenius/Iginla if available.

But regardless if we get the 11th or not. This draft, if we "ignore" everyone after the top 13 with our 12th pick, then the Flyers really only have to make a choice between 2  players. It seems like the top three has been cemented in Celebrini, Demidov and Levshunov. But everything thereafter is up in the air. So unless someone outside the top 13 ranked players gets taken, then the choice most likely will be between the two players out of this group that falls past 11. Parekh, Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuck, Iginla, Helenius, Catton, Silyaev, Lindstrom, Eisermann. Personally I think its more likely its two out of these that will be available to us Helenius, Yakemchuck and Eisermann. Catton, I fear will be gone earlier.