Michkov may be here this summer

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

always a bit more difficult when you're building from the wing to the middle.

Did I understand Sochi was experimenting with him in the middle?

I think that was the organizational line.

Easier to move W to C now, but no guarantees.

I think rather than always chasing, lying in wait for the right opportunity and then pouncing.

I think of Buffalo and Nashville perpetually, desperately, chasing a first line center at every opportunity. (Anyone remember the great Ville Leino #1C experiment 🤣? How about that Ryan Johansen on an eight year deal - where did he end up? 🤣 Now Nashville has Buffalo castoff St. Louis Cup winner Ryan O'Reilly 🤣)

We have a LOT of post-cap data that points to how the league works now.

It's much harder for teams to MAKE a window start to open. It's generally when you get, say, an Ovechkin and a Backstrom at 1/4 your window is opening.

Not so much, as we've learned, a 22/7.

:hocky:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Did I understand Sochi was experimenting with him in the middle?

A lot would be helped if he can convert to centre successfully.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

A lot would be helped if he can convert to centre successfully.

I like it a lot more at 19-20 than 24-25.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't mean to rain on the parade - just saying I'll wait until he's actually in North America before I start celebrating Michkov's arrival.

Hell with that...I'm starting now.   WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

• Haha 1

Word on the street is 2025 draft is better for forwards. 

I think the Flyers will be bad next season.

As of today, they will have 2 picks in that draft also, perhaps more if they can deal a player or two at trade deadline. 

My feeling is they get some center prospects in that draft. Maybe a player who is pretty close to NHL ready.

I think this year is the year to draft some more defensemen. 

I'm digging the name Carter Yamenchuk. I think the player could be good, but that is an "all NHL" name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

As of today, they will have 2 picks in that draft also, perhaps more if they can deal a player or two at trade deadline. 

My feeling is they get some center prospects in that draft. Maybe a player who is pretty close to NHL ready.

I'm digging the name Carter Yamenchuk. I think the player could be good, but that is an "all NHL" name.

I'm hoping any one of him, Catton, Helenius or Iginla...unless of course Celebrini falls to #12. Somebody get that man a Russian passport!

• Like 2

Did Helenius’ ranking drop after the U18 Tournament or what? I know he didn’t exactly light it up but wasn’t he considered a lock to go top 5? Today I see some sites have him as low as 13 (TSNews) and none have him in the top 5.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Did Helenius’ ranking drop after the U18 Tournament or what? I know he didn’t exactly light it up but wasn’t he considered a lock to go top 5? Today I see some sites have him as low as 13 (TSNews) and none have him in the top 5.

I don't think he was ever a lock to be top 5...I thought he was usually in the 5-10 conversation, and sometimes even a bit lower. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 10:43 AM, RonJeremy said:

A few articles are saying Michkov is coming over for good.https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/latest-news/flyers-prospects-matvei-michkov-could-arrive-much-earlier-than-expected

Report: Matvei Michkov’s KHL contract to be terminated, will continue playing with Flyers

https://www.flyersnation.com/report-matvei-michkovs-khl-contract-to-be-terminated-will-continue-playing-with-flyers/

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Report: Matvei Michkov’s KHL contract to be terminated, will continue playing with Flyers

https://www.flyersnation.com/report-matvei-michkovs-khl-contract-to-be-terminated-will-continue-playing-with-flyers/

Just saw this!!  WTF!! Where there is smoke...umm...FIRE. SUPPOSEDLY RELIABLE SOURCES REPORTING THIS!!

• Good Post 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:35 AM, mojo1917 said:

we shouldn't draft anyone named Carter or Carson...um...even though we did both!! 😄

The speculation about this player is getting a bit out-of-kilter.  If he shows, fine.  If we never see him, fine.  I don't begrudge the Command Staff for swinging for the fence with him--high risk, high return for a potential game changer.   But after the Fedotov mess and overpay, there comes a point we have to ask about the wisdom of drafting Russians.  I hope we stay away this June.  This franchise is not at a point where we can waste picks or add uncertainty to their trajectory.  We need people who can deliver fairly quickly.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I hate this cold war crap where you have to worry a guy might not be able to hop over

This ain't a "cold" war.

And the question has never been from "this side."

That's just the kind of people running the KHL side of things.

Edited by radoran

I saw at least one report referring to the "playoff-hopeful" Flyers.

Just want to reiterate, the goal *ain't* "the playoffs."

Michkov 1000% better off in Voohees than Sochi for his development no matter what we think of the organization's ability to develop players.