Michkov may be here this summer

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is down right crazy...

before anyone says it not sure what happened to TK.

Predicting the Flyers’ 2024-25 Opening Night Lineup

screen-shot-2024-05-20-at-9_58.48-am.webp.b000c4cce7a70d61ba88dd2f561a5e82.webp

https://brotherlypuck.com/2024/05/21/predicting-the-flyers-2024-25-opening-night-lineup-2/

Boy the natives will be restless...

artworks-000031156706-b20var-t500x500.jpg.c527e9f3d8f46dd160b995b30caf1d91.jpg

Matvei Michkov – Trevor Zegras – Mitch Marner

Johnny Gaudreau – Morgan Frost – Tyson Foerster

Noah Cates – Sean Monahan – Owen Tippett

Olle Lycksell – Ryan Poehling – Garnet Hathaway

Cam York – Travis Sanheim

Nick Seeler – Jamie Drysdale

Emil Andrae – Ronnie Attard

Samuel Ersson

Ivan Fedotov

Notable Losses

Cam Atkinson– Atkinson’s production has fallen off a cliff and he’ll turn 35 in the 2024 offseason. He’s got one year left on his contract at a $5.8 million cap hit, which translates to a $2.35 million buyout cap hit in 2024-25 and $1.75 million in 2025-26.

Sean Couturier– The newly named captain’s tenure comes to an end early after an offseason agent change and feud with head coach John Tortorella. They swap his 6 x $7.75 contract for Gaudreau’s 5 x $9.75 contract. Flyers take the higher cap hit but less term for a player that is significantly more dynamic than Couturier in their attempt to overhaul the offense.

Bobby Brink- Brink didn’t have the easiest time conforming to the Tortorella system, so he gets shipped out of town in one of the various high-profile trades the team makes this summer. Will they live to regret giving up on him? Probably, it’s the Flyers’ luck after all, but his replacement should be more than enough to make them forget all about him.

Scott Laughton– It sure seems like the Flyers screwed up not trading Laughton during the 2023 offseason or 2024 trade deadline, but after a year where he was basically useless from an on-ice perspective, his leadership skills won’t save him this time.

Cal Petersen– It costs the Flyers $3.85 million to bury Petersen’s contract in the AHL for the 2024-25 season. It would cost them just $1 million against the cap in 2024-25 to buy him out, with a $2 million cap hit in 2025-26. It means they can buy him out and sign a third string AHLer to tandem with (maybe) newcomer Alexei Kolosov next season for less than it’d cost to keep Petersen.

Nic Deslauriers– Deslauriers does have a 20-team no-trade list until June 30, 2024, but considering he’s the odd man out on the man roster and plays less than five minutes a night more often than not, it’s best to just move on from him and use his $1.75 million in a more appropriate way.

Rasmus Ristolainen– The trade rumors have been around Risto for the last few months. He’s been playing well under Tortorella, but it has also come with a much reduced role on the team. If Drysdale is their top righty, and one of Sanheim or York is taking second billing, there’s no need to be paying Ristolainen over $5 million to be tall on the third pair.

Egor Zamula– Zamula is an RFA who could very well re-sign with the team. Considering his role has been wildly inconsistent and his extension would be on the inexpensive side, whether he re-signs or not to fill the seventh defenseman spot doesn’t have much bearing on this exercise.

Notable Additions

Matvei Michkov– The 19-year-old forward gets out of his KHL contract sooner than expected and joins the Flyers, thus the need to go crazy during the offseason and bring in some much needed forward reinforcements to prevent him from floundering on this otherwise anemic squad.

Trevor Zegras- Zegras is 22 years old and has 155 points in 211 career games, with 35 of those points coming on the powerplay. He’s got two more seasons on his contract at a reasonable $5.7 million cap hit and the Flyers have more than enough draft and prospect capital to pull off a blockbuster trade with the Ducks.

Mitch Marner- Marner is the biggest addition the Flyers have made in nearly 15 years. The 27-year-old forward has 639 points in 576 games and 195 of those point have come on the powerplay. Are there some potential downsides, especially in a Tortorella system? Sure, but he also has the offensive upside we haven’t seen in a very long time and he’s exactly the caliber of forward that Michkov can blossom with.

Johnny Gaudreau- The Flyers trade the 6 x $7.75 million left on Couturier’s contract for the 5 x $9.75 remaining on his. He’s far more useful that Couturier and, with the goal being fixing the lack of scoring, powerplay, and giving Michkov as many weapons as possible, It could be worth the slightly higher cap hit. And he checks the pandering box the front office loves as the hometown hero that Briere can bring home after Chuck Fletcher fumbled a couple years ago.

Sean Monahan– This is a very wing-heavy offseason, and especially if the Flyers ditch both Laughton and Couturier, they need a body down the middle. The 29-year-old Monahan has had some health issues, but he did manage 26 goals and 59 points in 83 games between the Jets and Canadiens this season. He should be a defensively sound, relatively cheap, middle-six body with a slight scoring upside to hold down the fort for a few years.

Thoughts????

:flyer:

I'd do it. To hell with it. This franchise has been built on ARGH SIIIIIIIIIZE and GRRRR FORECHECKING. And what has this franchise gotten for that? Not a damn thing. At this point, let's just overload on skill, speed and smoothness. And it's not as if these guys can't play defense or handle physicality. Marner is over of the best penalty killers in the game, Gaudreau got beat up in Calgary and had no problems with the physicality. The only one who is an unknown is Zegras and I'm sure he's the kind of guy that if he sees a teammate giving it their all, he follows suit. I'm all for overwhelming the opposition with skill that comes in waves because then you need to ask......who or what line do you shut down? Tortorella talked about how the team had to grind things out because they didn't have the skill. Well, they'd have the skill now in these deals, so let's see how he'd do with a lineup full of skill......

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:38 PM, ctid said:

I got my wife to read it, she's Ukrainian....although, she was like "why are you supporting a Russian player???" So now I have to try to come up with arguments...

Update: so this turned into a lengthy discussion, in which I just kept digging my own grave. My main argument was based around "not all Russians are bad and not all buy in to the mass propaganda", which she completely agrees to but still doesn't feel it's right to support Russians in sports due to politics. So the discussion turned into why are Russians allowed to play in the NHL when most sports have practically banned them, and why is Ovechkin still celebrated as a hero when he blatantly supports Putin (her words)...after getting past my surprise of her being able to name one hockey player, I turned the discussion back towards Michkov and the Flyers...long story short,  I played the "we suck card" and started explaining what the draft is, how hockey differs from football (soccer) in terms of getting young talent, and naming all our draft misseries yada yada yada and I came to my only real argument "sweetie, Michkov is our only hope" in which she replied "Follow a team that doesn't have a Russian on it!"

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So let's see...Marner is making almost $11 million a year and is up for a new contract next year. At 27 he will want it to carry him off into the sunset, so, what...$13 Million a year? And nice disappearing act this past playoff.

Gaudreau is making almost $10 miilion a year and is 30. His 12 goals would definitely help us in our cup quest. 🙄

Zegras is making $5.75 til next year when he'll want a raise, and has been voted most overrated player in the league by his peers.

When Michkov is reaching his prime years, Gaudreau will be done, Marner will likely be in decline, Zegras will have "Michiganed" his way into Torts doghouse, the Flyers wouldn't be able to pay Michkov what hes worth because of the 3 contracts they took on for softies, and we can watch him light it up on another team while we wonder why we never win cups.

Fletcher wanted to sign Gaudreau.  Of course its a dumb contract. I want zero to do with Zegras. And Marner is too much. We'd STILL need a #1 centre. We'd STILL need a #1 defenceman. We'd STILL need a starting goalie. And we'd have zero money to pay any of them.

I'll take my chances on those guys needing a change of scenery. It happens all the time. Gaudreau wanted to go home, has his heart set on going home, Fletcher crapped the bed. I bet the Flyers would get a completely different Gaudreau. 

As for Marner, what a way to stick it to his old club who thinks he's the problem. As mentioned, he's one of the best penalty killers in the game and somehow the playoffs were his fault? He played the game his coach asked him to play. He also played with a high ankle sprain. Say what you want about players playing with aches and pains in the playoffs, but when you've got a high ankle sprain, mobility is pretty much sapped. 

As for Zegras, being united with his two best friends could go either way, but I'm leaning towards things going well because York is a leader and Drysdale has lived his time here so far. 

You mentioned that we still need a 1D and a 1C. I'll say it right now and I'm very comfortable with saying this - York and Sanheim are number one guys. York is just beginning his ascension and Sanheim finally arrived after being given crap sandwiches by previous coaching staffs. I'm good with those two being in that top pairing. As for number one centers, it would be Zegras by default. And once again, I hope very little weight in the league's who's the most overrated player. A 23 year old who's still coming into his own and people are willing to throw him under a bus. 

So I'm going to end this with the following. I'm old. I love offensive hockey. I'm a fan of teams like the Oilers from the 80s. I also love Junior hockey and I love teams like the Ottawa 67s and the London Knights. The style of game they play is what I want to see the Flyers play. And with that lineup, the Flyers could play something like that. And they could still be successful in the playoffs. The only thing I see holding a team like that back would be coaching and special teams, especially if a skill game isn't being embraced and that they would remain playing a grind it out game. 

Now, this is just me. Do I think something like this would come together? No. Simply put, the senior advisors would snuff this out because it goes against the traditional "Flyers" hockey nonsense we've been fed for years. But if they ever did, I'd certainly embrace it.

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'll take my chances on those guys needing a change of scenery. It happens all the time. Gaudreau wanted to go home, has his heart set on going home, Fletcher crapped the bed. I bet the Flyers would get a completely different Gaudreau. 

He's 30. This would be such a Chuck Fletcher/Paul Holmgren move if there ever was one. No one forced Gaudreau to sign in Columbus, HE CHOSE TO. He also chose to mail it in. Just what we DON'T need. 

As for Marner, what a way to stick it to his old club who thinks he's the problem. As mentioned, he's one of the best penalty killers in the game and somehow the playoffs were his fault? He played the game his coach asked him to play. He also played with a high ankle sprain. Say what you want about players playing with aches and pains in the playoffs, but when you've got a high ankle sprain, mobility is pretty much sapped. 

I don't blame Marner solely for the Leafs annual first round playoff exit. But he's certainly part of the problem. Obviously, since it's become a thing. And for the money he makes (and soon wanting a raise...and you can say he won't be you know he will) I'd prefer someone with a little more grit to his game. 

As for Zegras, being united with his two best friends could go either way, but I'm leaning towards things going well because York is a leader and Drysdale has lived his time here so far. 

Yes, let's get the Haysee BFF thing going again, it worked so well last time. 🤔

You mentioned that we still need a 1D and a 1C. I'll say it right now and I'm very comfortable with saying this - York and Sanheim are number one guys. York is just beginning his ascension and Sanheim finally arrived after being given crap sandwiches by previous coaching staffs. I'm good with those two being in that top pairing. As for number one centers, it would be Zegras by default. And once again, I hope very little weight in the league's who's the most overrated player. A 23 year old who's still coming into his own and people are willing to throw him under a bus. 

York and Sanheim are both good players. Are they #1s on a cup winner? Cause that's what I care about. Zegras sure as hell isn't. The people who threw him under the bus are the people he plays in the league with...you know, the ones that actually see him day in day out? Who better to judge a guy? 

And if you REALLY need to have "Michigans", we have them in Michkov. I hardly think we need two.

So I'm going to end this with the following. I'm old. I love offensive hockey. I'm a fan of teams like the Oilers from the 80s. I also love Junior hockey and I love teams like the Ottawa 67s and the London Knights. The style of game they play is what I want to see the Flyers play. And with that lineup, the Flyers could play something like that. And they could still be successful in the playoffs. The only thing I see holding a team like that back would be coaching and special teams, especially if a skill game isn't being embraced and that they would remain playing a grind it out game. 

Now, this is just me. Do I think something like this would come together? No. Simply put, the senior advisors would snuff this out because it goes against the traditional "Flyers" hockey nonsense we've been fed for years. But if they ever did, I'd certainly embrace it.

Acquiring Gaudreau is EXACTLY what the senior advisors would do, and it's EXACTLY what we should be running away from. Marner isn't old, but at 27 with a huge contract that's only going to get bigger, he doesn't exactly fit into the Michkov time frame. Zegras, I've seen enough of Mr Highlight reel. I prefer team guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Marner isn't old, but at 27 with a huge contract that's only going to get bigger, he doesn't exactly fit into the Michkov time frame.

The only way I think Marner is workable is if the trade is for Konecny, and then he's used as rental and flipped for lots of things.

He's "better Konecny" with the same not quite fitting the timeline but with greater contract demands.

I say no thanks to most of that post. 

Mega hell no to Johnny Hockey. 

I wonder if Helenius will be around at 12 ?

I'd like to see him or Catton who after watching highlights of is wicked fast. 

Not sure which of the defenders will be around then.

Helenius playing well in the top Finnish men's league seems like a good thing.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Marner is workable is if the trade is for Konecny

I just can't sign off on that. 

I just can't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just can't sign off on that. 

I just can't.

It's not to keep him though.

It's to get more young players and assets, does that make it more palatable?

Marner is just Konecny with less grit but more skill. 

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Myself no.

I don’t like Marner and i think he is a better version of JVR if you will.

We are trying to change the culture of the team and have done good so far and well Marner would be a step back and not be good for where they are going and also wanting 13-14 mill on his next deal.

So yeah i am ok moving TK but for better assets than Marner he would in Torts doghouse quick and then further devalued.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Marner would be a step back and not be good for where they are going and also wanting 13-14 mill on his next deal.

And the idea put forth is to flip him before he signs that deal. He might not even suit up for Philadelphia.

It's not a bad one. Hate losing Konecny.

It all depends on being able to put a better deal than other teams and then go to those other teams and acquire the assets.

Tough to pull off. Not impossible.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

And the idea put forth is to flip him before he signs that deal. He might not even suit up for Philadelphia.

It's not a bad one. Hate losing Konecny.

It all depends on being able to put a better deal than other teams and then go to those other teams and acquire the assets.

Tough to pull off. Not impossible.

Ok i misunderstood that then.

That i could agree with.

But not going to lie i feel that Danny and Jonesy would just lie to keep him and say like Laughton "We just didn't get any offers for him we liked yahdah yahdah..."

Basically i don't trust them....besides why wouldn't said team just trade for Marner from the Leafs (i understand maybe it could be a rival then it would make sense).

Seems they would need an overpay on what the Flyers gave up.

I guess whatever Danny feels is best i have to put aside my dislike of some of what they have done.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

See my last comment to rad i see what you're saying now.

And would be skeptical of them actually moving him again as Laughton example.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

besides why wouldn't said team just trade for Marner from the Leafs (i understand maybe it could be a rival then it would make sense).

Like I said, hard to pull off. Basically, you're giving them Konecny and something (all star winger at lower cost) which you hope is better than what other teams are offering for Marner. Tronno is in desperate "win now" mode and doesn't want prospects and picks as much as an impact player. They save six million cap dollars with Konecny and get a "tough as nails" type player.

Then you try to flip Marner to one of those teams who were interested for picks and prospects that fit your timeline.

Could even be an official three-way trade.

I get the concept. Like you, not sure about the execution.

Doubt it happens.

Interesting.

There's desperation in Tronno. Like kicking the tires on Matthews last offseason, taking advantage of others' misfortune is part of the game.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, radoran said:

Like I said, hard to pull off. Basically, you're giving them Konecny and something (all star winger at lower cost) which you hope is better than what other teams are offering for Marner. Tronno is in desperate "win now" mode and doesn't want prospects and picks as much as an impact player. They save six million cap dollars with Konecny and get a "tough as nails" type player.

Then you try to flip Marner to one of those teams who were interested for picks and prospects that fit your timeline.

Could even be an official three-way trade.

I get the concept. Like you, not sure about the execution.

Doubt it happens.

Interesting.

There's desperation in Tronno. Like kicking the tires on Matthews last offseason, taking advantage of others' misfortune is part of the game.

Yeah i am cool with that as long as they aren't stuck with Marner.

All he has to do is refuse to go to the teams that want him, finish his last year and walk for free to where ever he wants to go leaving the Flyers holding the bag.

That is risky unless i'm missing something.

I want what ever best to end the Cup drought.

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd do it. To hell with it. This franchise has been built on ARGH SIIIIIIIIIZE and GRRRR FORECHECKING. And what has this franchise gotten for that? Not a damn thing. At this point, let's just overload on skill, speed and smoothness. And it's not as if these guys can't play defense or handle physicality. Marner is over of the best penalty killers in the game, Gaudreau got beat up in Calgary and had no problems with the physicality. The only one who is an unknown is Zegras and I'm sure he's the kind of guy that if he sees a teammate giving it their all, he follows suit. I'm all for overwhelming the opposition with skill that comes in waves because then you need to ask......who or what line do you shut down? Tortorella talked about how the team had to grind things out because they didn't have the skill. Well, they'd have the skill now in these deals, so let's see how he'd do with a lineup full of skill......

We haven't been built on size and forechecking since the Lindros Era. It's all about balance now, you need a blend of skill, speed, size and grit.  Without the balance,  you are one dimensional and are apt to ne bounced in the first round if you don't draw a favorable match up. Just look at Toronto every year. If it comes down to bigger skilled players like the Tkachuck brothers or Zegras types, the big guys always win. The playoffs are a different game and you are not winning with that moronic lineup that was proposed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don’t like Marner and i think he is a better version of JVR if you will.

Good comparison. No way is Marner a “better Konecny.” I put Marner and TK in 2 different worlds in every aspect of the game that isn’t measured on the scorecard. I’m not knocking points but scoring doesn’t automatically mean a better player. I’ll take a team of Konecnys over all the Mitch Marner types in the league. And that goes quadruple for Zegras.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Without the balance,  you are one dimensional and are apt to ne bounced in the first round if you don't draw a favorable match up.

Balance?

You need to hire me then i was amazing at this game and it was predicated on having the right balance!!!

IYKYK

Ain't noone here wanting to battle me!!!

:flyer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The only way I think Marner is workable is if the trade is for Konecny, and then he's used as rental and flipped for lots of things.

He's "better Konecny" with the same not quite fitting the timeline but with greater contract demands.

I say no thanks to most of that post. 

Mega hell no to Johnny Hockey. 

I wonder if Helenius will be around at 12 ?

I'd like to see him or Catton who after watching highlights of is wicked fast. 

Not sure which of the defenders will be around then.

Helenius playing well in the top Finnish men's league seems like a good thing.

Craig Button just revamped his draft eligible rankings. Helenius at #5, Catton at #12, Iginla I think at #4. The whole top 15 at tsn.ca.  

NOOOO to Marner. NOOOOO to Gaudreau. NOOOO to Zegras.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Craig Button just revamped his draft eligible rankings. Helenius at #5, Catton at #12, Iginla I think at #4. The whole top 15 at tsn.ca.  

Disclaimer:  I haven’t seen any of these kids play so this is just my uneducated opinion.

I would say Button’s list is suspect to see players move up or down that many places at this point in the year.  First couple weeks of the season…sure.  Now…eh, no.

39 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Disclaimer:  I haven’t seen any of these kids play so this is just my uneducated opinion.

I would say Button’s list is suspect to see players move up or down that many places at this point in the year.  First couple weeks of the season…sure.  Now…eh, no.

At this point most draft rankings aren't assigning value to players, they're predicting what GMs will do to bolster their "correct" scores.

Players who have big late season tournaments can move just because of press coverage.

I know... :hocky:

12 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Mariner has a NMC.  I read something today that said he is not willing to waive it.  He wants to stay in Toronto.

thank you for posting this and thank god that stupid temptation - if it ever was one - is off the table.

next up is Zegras. I find it (almost) impossible to believe Jones and Tortorella would let that happen. Briere? Well he was a "skill guy" so who knows maybe he just loves them Michigans...but even Briere has to know TZ is as one-dimensional as it gets - as it's humanly possible to be on the ice. Just Say No!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

He's got Cayden Lindstrom at 10. If that is true, really sucks to just miss out on him. I thought he would be a top five pick for sure. but seems him and Helenius have swapped spots. Really interesting to see how the dominoes fall after Celebrini.