Leighton still an option, WTF?

Guest Samifan

Misdirection. Just because he's an option doesn't mean Homer will go there. Unless Philly is looking for a backup so bad that Bryz has no reason to look over his shoulder, at least outside of game time.

Misdirection. Just because he's an option doesn't mean Homer will go there. Unless Philly is looking for a backup so bad that Bryz has no reason to look over his shoulder, at least outside of game time.

Or that Leighton is the backup option Holmgren is most comfortable with?.........

God NO...EFFFIN WAY!!!!!!!!

Leighton will be mauled by the fans!

Will he? Basically he fits the mold for career back-up goalies. He is familiar with Flyers, and has put up decent numbers with both the Flyers and Phantoms. I actually think he will be Holmgren's choice. :P

Will he? Basically he fits the mold for career back-up goalies. He is familiar with Flyers, and has put up decent numbers with both the Flyers and Phantoms. I actually think he will be Holmgren's choice. :P

I'm betting on Boucher...his family still lives in NJ. Assuming Carolina would trade him, of course.

Who's the other goalie in Adirondack? Is he a potential NHL starter or backup?

I have mixed thoughts about Leighton as a backup.

On one hand, he probably wouldnt suck with 15-20 starts over the course of a season and he'll be a cheap cap hit.

On the other, the 2010 finals are still haunting me.

Cal Heeter, signed as a FA out of the University of Ohio this spring.

I remember that signing. I was thinking of the goalie who played the past few seasons there.

Think he was a Swede or Finn.

At one time he was mentioned as a future starter for us.

I wouldn't be overjoyed at Leighton coming back. But if this is what happens, it happens. Let's face it, he is not the sole reason we lost two years ago. And fast forward to our 10 goal blow-out with Pittsburgh a few months ago. What's sad is that our organization just can't seem to develop people..even backups.

If I were a young player, the O and B would not be high on my list of NHL squads. We seem to grind them out or trade them too soon.

Peace,

Howie

Under no circumstances do I ever want to see Leighton back in the O&B. I am ok with anyone other than Leighton. Besides his poor play in the finals two years ago he lied about the injuries he suffered and didn't come clean until after he signed his new deal. I'd rather see a dusty old Roman Čechmánek as a backup than Leighton.

• Like 1

Under no circumstances do I ever want to see Leighton back in the O&B. I am ok with anyone other than Leighton. Besides his poor play in the finals two years ago he lied about the injuries he suffered and didn't come clean until after he signed his new deal. I'd rather see a dusty old Roman Čechmánek as a backup than Leighton.

I would rather see my blind 93 year old grandmother on the ice with her walker in net before Leighton......I know she has quicker lateral movement than he does........

• Like 1

Leighton felt bad he let that goal in, it was a dump in from the side. He is serviceable and he is a big part of the Flyers even making it that far.

Facts are there to be seen, emotions aren't always the best choices. Yah it sucks that the goal went in. No one blocked it and the team let up blocking shots.

Leighton for a split second wasn't positional to the unsuspecting shot, That's all, some of you guys get overworked on a false sense of judgement.

Leighton messed up, He helped our Team Make it to the finals, So he should get credit with all the crisicsm as well. That not being upfront about the back injury......That's on him!

If that was Luke Robitaille shooting from that extreme angle, then I would of been pissed at our goalie too, it was instead a fluke desperation dump in.

sorry LOD...I mean okay, you make a reasonable point about Leighton deserving credit as well as blame. But...no. Sorry - that goal was inexcusable, unforgivable.

It's G6...we've been getting beat right and left all series - to loose pucks, by soft goals (Leighton lets in a terrible softie earlier in G6, that's why we're in OT) - and yet we're STILL in it to win it.

and then...a 90-degree angle shot goes through and the series is over, the Cup is gone and we're back to Square One. Horrible way to end it and we can make all the excuses in the world - other guys were slow on the play (Kimmo, Powe i think?) and Kane waltzs right in...etc. But no professional goaltender should get scored on from that shot - especially in GAME FKNG SIX of the SCF!

unforgivable. inexcusable. JUST SAY "NO" to Michael Leighton.

• Like 1

@canoli

I'm finding the entire situation ironically humorous. How many "trade Bob" threads have there been in the past year?

Leighton's stats are among the best of what is available, he is familiar with the coaching and the team. He is also younger than most of the competition. Thus Leighton could easily be our backup goaltender next season.

Did Homer really say that during his presser last night at the draft? Hopefully he was being sarcastic.................

Leighton will be the backup. He is serviceable. In the eyes of the Flyers ownership and management he served the organization well, whether he won or lost. And his movement up allows the young goalies to play and develop in Adarondack. And very importantly, he is cheap and fees up money the Flyers will use in trade. Homer was floating it, but not really.

@canoli

I'm finding the entire situation ironically humorous. How many "trade Bob" threads have there been in the past year?

Leighton's stats are among the best of what is available, he is familiar with the coaching and the team. He is also younger than most of the competition. Thus Leighton could easily be our backup goaltender next season.

Some of these Flyer fans are just silly little boys. Leighton is serviceable and he will be the backup.

@BearOnIce So, when Bryz falters in the playoffs again, you are comfortable with Leighton winning the cup for us...or a game...or a series...because that's the role our back up will *really* be playing...based on last years run anyways. If Bob had won his start in the playoffs...he would have had the leash to run with it....due to Bryz's horrid play against the pens and to a lesser extent the Devs...he bent...but then broke...not good.