McGinn vs JVR

Guest hf101

37 members have voted

1. 1. Better Power Forward

Anyone miss JVR?

I'm really liking McGinn, I think he will develop into the power forward we thought we would get in JVR. He wins the puck battles, hustles, makes space for his linemates and has a good shot as well.

• Like 3

@hf101 RIght now, it's JVR, but he is playing on the top line, top pp, and has way more pro experience. Like you, I really like what I see in McGinn....loads of promise, tons of potential...and unlike JVR, shows up every game, no shifts or games off....what you see is what you get, you can count on him showing up (at least so far)....he will only improve, anohter diamond in the rough the Flyers dug up...to pick up a gem like this in the 4th round, 119th overall tells us what we already know, the Flyers know thier forwards and how to scout them.

• Like 2

@Flyingswede So, we have seen the best of McGinn, a guy a measley 6 games into his NHL career???....I like what I see, but he could be a flop, a wicked power forward, I would suggest somewhere in betwee, but *of course* he will get better with experience....or at least that is what I can see, from the very small sampling I've witnessed thus far.

• Like 1

Anyone miss JVR?

I'm really liking McGinn, I think he will develop into the power forward we thought we would get in JVR. He wins the puck battles, hustles, makes space for his linemates and has a good shot as well.

That's why he got my vote. He's got way more upside. JVR is ok, but McGinn looks like he could be JVR 2.0.

So far, from what I've seen, I like McGinn more because he gets involved in the play and is willing to pay a price in front of the net and stay there. JVR was the same way during his rookie year, but I think McGinn is stronger in front of the net and has a nastier edge. McGinn seems to be around the puck a lot, and hits when he doesn't have it, whereas I thought JVR disappeared on certain shifts.

• Like 1

I don't even remember JVR on this team lat year

That actually sums it up beautifully. I honestly don't either. Without looking, was he injured? He had a pretty good run in the previous playoffs, but other than those 2 months or so, his time here was utterly forgettable.

Wayyyyy too early to tell. The power forward always takes longest to develop (for the forward position). Tye has played exceptionally well for a 4th round pick and shows a lot of promise and upside. Who expected anything from a 4th rounder? Anything outside the 1st is a crapshoot and our expectations were low. JVR has 6 goals on the year already in 10 games (on the 1st line where he really does belong) and should develop into a consistent 30 goal scorer. Will McGinn do the same? I doubt it. But a 2nd overall vs a 4th rounder, McGinn definitely holds the value pick. JVR will be the better player when all is said and done but the better value from a draft consensus is McGinn. Hopefully he turns into what we all hoped JVR would!

I like what I see from McGinn but like sekkes85 said, JVR has six goals though 10 games so far this season. That's twice as many goals as the Flyers top goal scorer. It would be nice to have that kind of production in the Flyers lineup.

Here's the Flyers top goal scorers thru 10 gms:

1) Giroux - 3

2) Read - 3

3) Sestito - 2

4) Couturier - 2

5) Simmonds - 2

(no one else has more than one goal)

What a dream it must be for McGinn. A few weeks ago he was riding buses in Glen Falls, and now he's jet-setting around with the Flyers on the top line with one of the best players in the NHL. Totally surreal.

He has 3 points in 6 games for the big club... if he keeps playing like that, he'll never be riding the buses again.

Happy for JvR that he is playing well. I think the trade lit a fire under him.

Hope Luke Schenn turns up his game for the Flyers now.

McGinn looks like a pretty good grinder (which the Flyers need more of, BTW). Could see him being a 20-goal scorer someday. We'll see.

• Like 1

I agree with Rad on this one.

McGinn is a nice story 10 games into the season but comparing him to JVR at this point is crazy.

There are players that can step into the NHL and just seem to play better there. They are few and far between.

Anyone remember when Sbisa was the next greatest thing? He caught fire for the better half of a season but look at him since then.

Let's give McGinn at full season *at least* before the JVR comparisons fly around.

And honestly, if Flyers brass are truly in the market to add a true #1 winger for Giroux or help on the backend, McGinn might be a nice trading piece.

his value will never be higher

• Like 1

Anyone miss JVR?

nope. Can't say I'm crazy about Luke Schenn but I still think it was a smart move trading him.

good for him he's got some goals this year ...seriously, good for him. He grew up 2 towns away from me, we played at some of the same rinks (me about 20 years earlier)...so I'd like to see him do well, have a great career, etc. But he just didn't work for the Flyers...literally did not work (hard enough). Maybe bc he grew up a Rags' fan (!).

This is a joke right?

JVR by himself is outscoring two of anyone on the team right now.

Anyone miss JVR?

@Flyingswede So, we have seen the best of McGinn, a guy a measley 6 games into his NHL career???....I like what I see, but he could be a flop, a wicked power forward, I would suggest somewhere in betwee, but *of course* he will get better with experience....or at least that is what I can see, from the very small sampling I've witnessed thus far.

I just think Mcginn is playing his best game right here right now! to earn a roster spot. Like welwood last year... im not getting excited anymore for rookies playing great for a month or two on the regular season. Looking at our roster now , its poor! You cant replace richards,carters,jvr's with this and think it will last a whole season or thru a cup race. Thats why I think its a in between season for us.

@Flyingswede Fair enough FS, I just think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with him....the more ice time he gets, the more he gets used to the speed of the game, the better he *should* get. He has the outside chance to be something special, but even if he does not develop into a top 6 guy, his nose for the net and gritty plaly and respectable size and skating lead me to believe he's a keeper.