Seravalli: Bobrovsky Trade "a solid return"

radoran

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130415_Flyers__offense_has_nothing_left.html

Hindsight is always 20/20. The picks were a solid return, the Flyers had confidence in Bryzgalov rebounding, and there was no need to harness a legitimate competitor behind a starter with a 9-year deal.

The story, for Seravalli, is that the Flyers "had" to trade Bobrovsky and "got something" for him.

Not that the team made a ridiculous decision on Bryzgalov and then traded away a valuable asset for a pile of fetid dingo's kidneys.

Also, too, Bryzgalov didn't start in Winnipeg because he fell asleep on the bench in Winnipeg.

Or something.

Organization shill.

Last summer, it seemed like a solid trade - moving a goaltender with a career save percentage (.909) below the league average (.913) for three draft picks (a second and two fourths) - but hearing Dubinsky's quote has to hurt.

This guy uses Bob's "career" numbers in a misleading way. He had two NHL seasons as a 21 and 22 year old under his belt. Hardly enough of a sample to talk about his "career" numbers like they were representative.

Can we trade Seravalli to Columbus too?

• Like 1

This looks like as good a thread as any to mention that it looks like I was probably horribly wrong about Bobrovsky.

I really had no faith in him and wasn't really upset to see him go. Now, I join the rest of the board in thinking I was an idiot.

• Like 1

This looks like as good a thread as any to mention that it looks like I was probably horribly wrong about Bobrovsky.

I really had no faith in him and wasn't really upset to see him go. Now, I join the rest of the board in thinking I was an idiot.

rux, you can be excused for thinking such nonsense ;) After all, we are but fans.

But Homer? That's just bad asset management, beginning with the decade-long contract to Bryz that essentially "forced" him to move Bob.

Of course, if Stolarz pans out, he'll look like a genius again!

• Like 1

But Homer? That's just bad asset management, beginning with the decade-long contract to Bryz that essentially "forced" him to move Bob.

Calling it "bad asset management" is so kind - so gentle - it borders on fiction. (!) :)

Bryzgalov was supposed to be such a "work horse" - he has to play a lot to get in a groove. Yeah and so does almost every other goalie on the planet. The Flyers could've given Bob enough games to find some rhythm while still keeping Bryzgalov as the obvious starter. Instead they fkd it up completely - both guys. Well at least one of them is a good goaltender - that is, he's actually a good goaltender and not just a guy who says he is.

• Like 1

Calling it "bad asset management" is so kind - so gentle - it borders on fiction. (!) :)

Bryzgalov was supposed to be such a "work horse" - he has to play a lot to get in a groove. Yeah and so does almost every other goalie on the planet. The Flyers could've given Bob enough games to find some rhythm while still keeping Bryzgalov as the obvious starter. Instead they fkd it up completely - both guys. Well at least one of them is a good goaltender - that is, he's actually a good goaltender and not just a guy who says he is.

Canoli, i hope you remember from the other board how high i was on Bob.

I understood Snider's frustration at the time, but to sign Bryz and then give up on Bob made no sense to me and is yet another example of how mediocre management will lead to mediocre results. It makes you wonder how Reese, Gomer and Laviolette could all give up on Bob and still have their jobs. We had been searching for a franchise goalie for decades and then when we finally find one, we trade him. Mediocre management leads to mediocre results.

Let's not forget that Bob played a year of hockey without any break whatsoever: KHL, rookie camp, training camp, NHL. It was obvious that he was tiring as the year wore on.

Was he perfect? Absolutely not. But I had never seen a goalie with his athleticism and quickness in a Flyer uniform. Never! Laviolette jerked Bob in and out of the lineup and then Gomer caved to Snider's whim's and wishes - like a eunuch - and so we are stuck with Bryz while Bob develops into a star in Columbus.

Oh yea, I just got done watching Columbus beat Colorado in OT and the announcers were saying that Bob really worked on staying taller in the butterfly. Such a small adjustment it makes you wonder how come Reese never saw it.

I wouldn't say I was knowledgable about Bob so much as just hated seeing him in goal when we'd play you guys. I always felt he had the Pens' number as it seemed in all but one game I can remember he really held our offense off the board last year. I know he had the majority if your starts against us.

He was 4-0 with a 2.00 GAA at Consol... 4-2-1 with a 2.48 against us lifetime. (Just looked it up)

Canoli, i hope you remember from the other board how high i was on Bob.

the way I remember it the board was split - never understood why. To me Bob showed such obvious talent - I assumed the Flyers would go out of their way to avoid putting him in situations that could hurt his development. But they did the exact opposite.... I forgot to factor in Laviolette. It's clear to me now that he and Homer think alike when it comes to goaltending...

It seems like when they think of it at all it's along the lines of "eh anybody can stand back there and block pucks."

• Like 1

the way I remember it the board was split - never understood why. To me Bob showed such obvious talent - I assumed the Flyers would go out of their way to avoid putting him in situations that could hurt his development. But they did the exact opposite.... I forgot to factor in Laviolette. It's clear to me now that he and Homer think alike when it comes to goaltending...

It seems like when they think of it at all it's along the lines of "eh anybody can stand back there and block pucks."

I think the playoffs with the three-headed goaltending monster is what ultimately embarrassed Snider enough to make the knee-jerk move that he did. And that playoff debacle is all on Laviolette. The way he handled the goaltending with Boosh, Leighton, and Bob was probably just about the worst way anyone could have done it. I was appalled when he scratched Bob, and stuck Leighton into a PLAYOFF game when he hadn't played an NHL game in a calendar year (or maybe he played one in the season??). Still, that was bush league, and *he* is the one who pushed Snider over the edge.

• Like 3

<br />And that playoff debacle is all on Laviolette. The way he handled the goaltending with Boosh, Leighton, and Bob was probably just about the worst way anyone could have done it. I was appalled when he scratched Bob, and stuck Leighton into a PLAYOFF game when he hadn't played an NHL game in a calendar year<br />

true. it was weird enough, though, that I wonder who actually made the call. what coach wants a goalie who has seen on game all year to step into the playoffs? part of me thinks that was snider, too, doing a "remember what he did that one season, you should put him in." it was on about the same level of thinking as the bryzgalov contract, after all.

I think the playoffs with the three-headed goaltending monster is what ultimately embarrassed Snider enough to make the knee-jerk move that he did. And that playoff debacle is all on Laviolette. The way he handled the goaltending with Boosh, Leighton, and Bob was probably just about the worst way anyone could have done it. I was appalled when he scratched Bob, and stuck Leighton into a PLAYOFF game when he hadn't played an NHL game in a calendar year (or maybe he played one in the season??). Still, that was bush league, and *he* is the one who pushed Snider over the edge.

I don't get the adulation that Laviolette receives from some corners.

He completely lucked into Cam Ward and, yes, completely blew the Flyers' goaltending situation into a disaster of Bryzgalovian proportions.

• Like 2

The real problem was Laviolette deciding to play Bobrovsky against the Sabres in the first round the year before.

That was the biggest boneheaded move the franchise could have made. PURELY idiotic.

If he just admits to himself that the goalie wasn't the problem (if you can't win a 1-0 game, you can't really blame it on the goalie) and sticks with Boosh against the Sabres, then Bob can play a whole year in the AHL and NOT count against the cap. Then once you've handled Leighton and Boosh and your bad cap situation, you can finally let Bob be the backup in his own time (this year... when we've needed a backup and let him steal the job from the overpriced space comrade -who I still think isn't that bad, but certainly isn't worth 5.6 for the next generation and a half.

This is on Lavvy and Homer for letting Lavvy be so damn unrealistic and short sighted.

to trade Bobrovsky and "got something"

i get sick watching Bob play though i wish him lots of success. maybe his success will get Gomer canned. we can hope.

not only was he talented, but he was a hard worker.

Wonder how fanatic feels about the rise of Bob to all star status in his first full year as a starter. He was fanatical (lol, pardon the pun) about Bob being "nothing special" and "will never be a #1 goalie in this league" etc...how some did not see the elite quickness and work ethic is beyond me.

With all this being said about Bob, He hasn't won any cups yet. Is he a young, talented goalie? Yes but he hasn't done anything. Bryz had a great year and now look. Give me a Marty Brodeur who does it year in and out and everyone can have Bob or Bryz who haven't

It bothered me Bob never got a shut out as a flyer as far as I can remember. I saw the athleticism but to me the elite goaltenders pitch shutouts.

It also bothered me the way Lavi yanked him in the playoffs and never gave him a second chance.

My takeaway is that much like in football some franchises can't seem to find a QB, the Flyers are a team that can't find a goalie.

Taking this from football...one approach to this dilemma is to build your team as if you don't expect your QB or Goalie to be elite. Then if they are elite you win a couple extra.

Taking this from football...one approach to this dilemma is to build your team as if you don't expect your QB or Goalie to be elite. Then if they are elite you win a couple extra.

This has been the Flyers approach. Isn't there a recent quote somewhere from either Homer or Clarke saying exactly that? The quote was downplaying the importance of the goaltender.

With all this being said about Bob, He hasn't won any cups yet. Is he a young, talented goalie? Yes but he hasn't done anything. Bryz had a great year and now look. Give me a Marty Brodeur who does it year in and out and everyone can have Bob or Bryz who haven't

Theres a huge difference between Bryz and Bob. Bob has quick reflexes and a POSITIVE attitude. That goes a long way in not only your development but the way your teammates play in front of you. I'd play my heart out for a guy with Bobs mental outlook and work ethic. On the other hand I'd probably blast a shot at Bryz' head.

Theres a huge difference between Bryz and Bob. Bob has quick reflexes and a POSITIVE attitude. That goes a long way in not only your development but the way your teammates play in front of you. I'd play my heart out for a guy with Bobs mental outlook and work ethic. On the other hand I'd probably blast a shot at Bryz' head.

How many cups did Brodeur have only 2-3 years into his NHL career? Even Brodeur had to grow into the "does it year in and out." I don't know any goalie who "does it year in and year out" in his 2nd or 3rd year.

• Like 1