You knew this was coming, right? Shea Weber

Guest murraycraven

Sorry, but I just had to post this... we have been through this before a million times but when I read over this I just started laughing... this is from John Boruk's article on CSN Philly:

Q. The Flyers' priority should be defense. From where will that come?

A. The Flyers have plenty of defense actually. At last count, the team has eight defensemen signed for next season, but if you measure their blue line from top to bottom, it speaks more to quantity than quality. They could make a play for Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, but with the Mark Streit signing, I don’t see the Flyers venturing down that desert road. I’m hearing rumblings that the Predators could make Shea Weber available come July 23, the one-year anniversary of when Nashville matched the Flyers' 14-year offer sheet. The Preds, coming off a terrible season, have a ton of money locked up in two players (Pekka Rinne and Weber), and Paul Holmgren would pull off a Chris Pronger-type megadeal in a micro-minute if they had a chance at Weber ... and then we won’t have to have this discussion again for a long time.

They way this offseason is shaping up I would not be surprised (joke) if the Flyers are linked to Lidstrom - coming out of retirement... I can not imagine for one minute the Preds passing Weber to anyone considering they paid 27M (?) in year one of that contract.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

I’m hearing rumblings that the Predators could make Shea Weber available come July 23, the one-year anniversary of when Nashville matched the Flyers' 14-year offer sheet.

Now this would have to make Bryz expendable....right so let's do it.

Send Coburn and Coots in return even throw Mezz in if they like...and the shoe in 2nd Homer loves to send in a package.

This just in: Flyers interested in acquiring Jesus Christ.

"We think he could finally be the piece that resurrects this franchise," Paul Holmgren said. "We realize there is some concern with injury history and complaints that he has holes in both his glove hand and his blocker hand. But Jeff Reese feels he can definitely work with this. We just think he can cross from side to side and hang on both posts when needed." When asked if he can stand on his head, like many goalies are asked to do in Philly, Holmgren responded, "Oh definitely. Our scouts say he walks on water."

Water walking or not, if he isn't the answer in goal, the Philly fans will do what they do with just about every goalie: CRUCIFY HIM!

• Like 4

I speculated a few months ago that this could happen? You could trade players/picks AND CASH to pay back the Preds investment. That's allowed isn't it?

It doesn't appear you can send straight cash, but you can retain some salary of players that you trade away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

RETAINING SALARY IN TRADES

This was Brian Burke’s baby, an idea he pushed for years at GM meetings. Under the old CBA, teams could not absorb any part of a salary from a player they were trading -- unlike baseball for example.

But in this new agreement, teams will be able to do that.

Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarekand his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders(hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

Now you're worried that that sounds like something Homer might do, aren't you?

No cause they already had problems scoring and this wouldn't help scoring...would help team defense yes...it's hard because it would mean the end of Bryz but i wouldn't like the compensation...like i said guys i'd move for the defensman they need would be Read, Coots, Coburn, Laughton, Cousins and Mezz and draft picks, not all of those but a mixed assortment....so if Preds don't like those then i'll pass.

Now this would have to make Bryz expendable....right so let's do it.

Send Coburn and Coots in return even throw Mezz in if they like...and the shoe in 2nd Homer loves to send in a package.

With what the Preds did to keep him, I'd imagine they'd want more than this to pry him away... Even if it is about salary, they know they can get a kings' ransom for him.

Water walking or not, if he isn't the answer in goal, the Philly fans will do what they do with just about every goalie: CRUCIFY HIM!

When the Flyers lost, most fans blamed the goalie (bryz), when the Flyers won, they blamed the goalie for not winning by more....

My "fwiend" Biggus Dickus has come all the way from "Wome."

Vewy well, I shall... welease... "Weber"!

Uh, we haven't got a "Weber", sir.

Oh, okay. We have no "Weber'!

And that's just about how it's going to go.....at the end of the day we still will have no Weber. Maybe we could get a Wodewick, though.....as long as he isn't a wobber or wapist.

• Like 2

I think true irony would be after all this worshipping of him, and the very average season he had this past year... If you guys DID give up a decent bit to get him, and turns out he sucks. Lol. Just the way these things seem to go sometimes.

• Like 2

No cause they already had problems scoring and this wouldn't help scoring...would help team defense yes...it's hard because it would mean the end of Bryz but i wouldn't like the compensation...like i said guys i'd move for the defensman they need would be Read, Coots, Coburn, Laughton, Cousins and Mezz and draft picks, not all of those but a mixed assortment....so if Preds don't like those then i'll pass.

Well, that's the point. Any team is going to have to give up a LOT to get Weber to convince Nashville to part with him rightnow (they will see this year as an aberration). I think the Flyers would need to give up more just because they forced the offer sheet.

Homer would do it because they've been engorged about Weber for years.

Weber will still have no NTC/NMC for the duration of the contract. I don't expect this annual conversation to go away nor would it surprise me to see Weber in orange and black some time in the next 14 years.

It's insane and would never happen, but just to play devil's advocate, which is the larger sum? 27 for one year or whatever it will cost to buy him out over the next (what would it be 16 or 18 years?)

The Weber deal was dumber than he'll for everyone. Homer could be getting him on July 1 for far less now that the cap is a fraction if what it was. He screwed himself, he screwed Weber, but he also really screwed the preds. The lower cap must be totally screwing them right now with so much $$ locked up in so few players in a market so small.

It'll never happen, but I suppose I do see a possible grasping at straws type logic to it.

Sorry, but I just had to post this... we have been through this before a million times but when I read over this I just started laughing... this is from John Boruk's article on CSN Philly:

A. The Flyers have plenty of defense actually. At last count, the team has eight defensemen signed for next season, but if you measure their blue line from top to bottom, it speaks more to quantity than quality. They could make a play for Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, but with the Mark Streit signing, I don’t see the Flyers venturing down that desert road. I’m hearing rumblings that the Predators could make Shea Weber available come July 23, the one-year anniversary of when Nashville matched the Flyers' 14-year offer sheet. The Preds, coming off a terrible season, have a ton of money locked up in two players (Pekka Rinne and Weber), and Paul Holmgren would pull off a Chris Pronger-type megadeal in a micro-minute if they had a chance at Weber ... and then we won’t have to have this discussion again for a long time.

They way this offseason is shaping up I would not be surprised (joke) if the Flyers are linked to Lidstrom - coming out of retirement... I can not imagine for one minute the Preds passing Weber to anyone considering they paid 27M (?) in year one of that contract.

I think true irony would be after all this worshipping of him, and the very average season he had this past year... If you guys DID give up a decent bit to get him, and turns out he sucks. Lol. Just the way these things seem to go sometimes.

That wouldn't be irony, it would be exactly what I would expect.

• Like 2

Weber will still have no NTC/NMC for the duration of the contract. I don't expect this annual conversation to go away nor would it surprise me to see Weber in orange and black some time in the next 14 years.

Yeah. Year 12 sounds about right. Or whenever he turns 35, whichever comes later

Well, that's the point. Any team is going to have to give up a LOT to get Weber to convince Nashville to part with him rightnow (they will see this year as an aberration). I think the Flyers would need to give up more just because they forced the offer sheet.

Homer would do it because they've been engorged about Weber for years.

He'll be a Flyer when he's 35 and has two years left on his deal. Homer definitely has a type.

Just kidding I think this ship has sailed.

• Like 1

The chance of us getting Weber is about the same as TF83 making a logical and coherent post. It might happen but statistically speaking g it won't...

I am a statistician and I can't calculate logic...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2

This just in: Flyers interested in acquiring Jesus Christ.

"We think he could finally be the piece that resurrects this franchise," Paul Holmgren said. "We realize there is some concern with injury history and complaints that he has holes in both his glove hand and his blocker hand. But Jeff Reese feels he can definitely work with this. We just think he can cross from side to side and hang on both posts when needed." When asked if he can stand on his head, like many goalies are asked to do in Philly, Holmgren responded, "Oh definitely. Our scouts say he walks on water."

Not to mention, the turning water into wine gig would make him pretty popular with the teammates!!!

Not to mention, the turning water into wine gig would make him pretty popular with the teammates!!!

If Crater and the center city gang were still here, they'd treat him like he was a god.

So one night after an away game, Crater and Richie and Jesus went out on the town and met a bunch of college co-eds at one of the local fountains. Jesus turned the water into wine and there was much frolicking. Jesus took a couple of the coeds back to hotel while Crater and Richards stayed behind continuing to drink much and be merry. Later that night, Crater and Richie returned to the hotel. Jesus had forgotten to leave a towel on the door so Crater walked into the room. When he saw Jesus nailing one of the co-eds on the cross-stiched afghan, he exlaimed, "Oh, my f###ing God!"

--------

(Is it getting hot or is it me?)

This topic should be banned! I can see weeks of this now. SMH... For spite, Nashville wouldn't trade Weber to philly :P

So one night after an away game, Crater and Richie and Jesus went out on the town and met a bunch of college co-eds at one of the local fountains. Jesus turned the water into wine and there was much frolicking. Jesus took a couple of the coeds back to hotel while Crater and Richards stayed behind continuing to drink much and be merry. Later that night, Crater and Richie returned to the hotel. Jesus had forgotten to leave a towel on the door so Crater walked into the room. When he saw Jesus nailing one of the co-eds on the cross-stiched afghan, he exlaimed, "Oh, my f###ing God!"

--------

(Is it getting hot or is it me?)

And then they picked up their Stanley Cup and drank more out of it.