Will Flyers Target Bought Out Lecavalier?

Guest beachflyer

Only if he is willing to take a half of what his current salary is and won't command a NMC/NTC bull****. Health is becoming somewhat of an issue for him. The last season was OK, but in each of the previous 2 seasons, he missed around 15 games in each season. Yet, I don't think he is completely done. He is 33 and if his health holds out, he probably has decent 3-4 years in him. He won teh Cup and can bring that winning mentality to our youngsters.

Frankly, I don't think the Flyers need to spend money on the center position at all. Use this opportunity to develop Schenn and Couturier. See what they are capable of with an increased responsibility and increased ice time.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

Lightningbuys out LECAVALIER. The Flyers have always coveted LECAVALIER and wonder if Holmgren is thinking about signing him. What's everyone think Holmgren will do?

Never say never when it comes to Holmgren, he'll disregard the real problem on this team - goaltending and defense and try to sign another forward (will call it the Bob Clarke syndrome). He'll say that he needed to replace Briere.

Edited by Lindbergh31
  • Like 2

maybe he can teach the rest of the guys to win faceoffs?

Edit: Actually, he was tenth in the league in FO% for players with 700+ attempts and Giroux was 8th.

Edited by AJgoal
  • Like 1

This type of situation is why i have been looking forward to this season's off season. Good players with horrendous contracts being bought out and becoming available, i think it makes for a damned interesting free agent period.

i think if lecaviler is willing to play wing we should absolutely kick the tires, he's made a pile of money will continue to be payed by the 'ning , maybe he signs at reasonable price.

going to be some interesting hockey news this summer.

This type of situation is why i have been looking forward to this season's off season. Good players with horrendous contracts being bought out and becoming available, i think it makes for a damned interesting free agent period.

This certainly created a new element and gave some excitement to the off-season... Because these compliance buy-outs is a novelty, it would really be interesting to see how teams approach these. I can see teams with good wiggling room in the cap and willing to spend up to the cap negotiating with these players and eventually giving them the money they want. This is not the same as a traditional free agent spending craziness; these bought out players don't have (or I should say are not *expected* to have) as much of an upper hand in negotiations compared to those who enter free agency by default since their contract simply ran out and teams did not re-sign them. This is a new phenomenon to the league.

So far there are not many of them yet: Richards, Briere, Bryz, and LeCavalier. Or are there other? I am sure there will be more compliance buy-outs this summer; I just can't imagine these are it.

I really believe what happens this summer with these bought out players will pretty much set the tone moving forward.

Edited by Mad Dog

<br />I am sure there will be more complaince buy-outs this summer; I just can't imagine this will be it.<br />

I think there is a window for the buyouts. don't know what it is, though. starts 48 hours after the last game of the finals, ends....not sure. 48 hours later? a week? won't run all summer, anyway.

5pm on July 5. I also think they become free agents immediately, not on July 5 like everyone else. Unless that's when the buyouts officially take effect.

Also, teams can talk to impending free agents before free agency hits this year during a specific window, not sure when that begins.

Edited by AJgoal

He has always expressed that he would like to play in Canada. He might go up there for less. I am not sure he could handle it after so many years on the Gulf Coast. He has been pop0ular here and community minded for a long time.

Canucks HAVE to do something soon, as well. 47k in cap space and need 3 forwards signed just to ice a full team. Everyone assumes they buy out Luongo, but it's entirely possible they use both.

I think the buyouts stink. Teams who made stupid deals should be stuck with them. Smart GM's get nothing for being so, and stupid GM's get mulligans for bad decisions.

Having said that, what's done is done, and it will prove for a very interesting off season indeed.

I think the buyouts stink. Teams who made stupid deals should be stuck with them. Smart GM's get nothing for being so, and stupid GM's get mulligans for bad decisions.

Smart GM's get Stanley Cups while dumb/reactionary GM's get buyouts! I think the smart ones are happy with their Stanley Cups

Edited by Adamflyers

Having said that, what's done is done, and it will prove for a very interesting off season indeed.

I agree.

Then again if ALL gms started their tenure with a young Crosby and Malkin, they likely wouldn';t need to make as many stupid decisions.