How about Laughton , Mez and Read for a top 6 pick?

RonJeremy

Laughton is a center, we have too many centers, Mez and Read are pending UFA's. If we could get in the top 6 would you give up these guys? Lets say we draft a project dman like Nurse with that pick or any of those alleged cant miss forwards, if one slips through. Then with our 11th pick we grab Risto or Pulock. Hopefully with dumping Mez's contract we can sign Nathan Horton to replace Read on right wing.

Hey Aziz, never say never. The Rangers got McDonough and Higgins for Gomez. Maybe there is a team that's looking for depth and some older players. Mez is bit of a gamble, but a good dman, Read is a solid 25-30 goal scorer, and Laughtons stock has risen, he is a first rounder. so its not such a bad trade for a team like Edmonton, who has lots of young guys but might want some good experienced guys and a prospect. but I think Edmonton has the 7th pick.

Ok, but look at the history of move-up deals. The moving-up teams' 1st is always included, plus at least one impact roster player. And generally one or more promising prospects on top of that. Read would be seen as filler.

How about...maybe . If there is a guy like Barkov still on the board at 6 maybe some combo of players, I'd want to hang on to Laughton, maybe use Cousins in his place? It's only 5 spots and I'd hate to give up a whole lot for such a small move.

Laughton is a center, we have too many centers, Mez and Read are pending UFA's. If we could get in the top 6 would you give up these guys? Lets say we draft a project dman like Nurse with that pick or any of those alleged cant miss forwards, if one slips through. Then with our 11th pick we grab Risto or Pulock. Hopefully with dumping Mez's contract we can sign Nathan Horton to replace Read on right wing.

RJ: I see Mez as damaged goods. I suspect nobody wants him. I honestly wonder if he will be ready for the season. Homer says he is ready in July...I doubt.

I have given up trying to figure Homer or his fraternity out.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Ok, but look at the history of move-up deals. The moving-up teams' 1st is always included, plus at least one impact roster player. And generally one or more promising prospects on top of that. Read would be seen as filler.

In some other year's draft, I would consider giving up that much to move up as drafting 11th and 6th would make a big difference. But if this year draft is as deep as it is advertised, whoever you take at the 11th will be a good player. I just don't see a good reason to give up THAT much to move just 5 spots up..... at least from my persprective.

• Like 2

Personally I would rather get a 2nd pick later in the first round. There will be some good players, likely on D, available there. And it wouldn't cost nearly as much as the #6 (or #5 or whatever) would cost. Deep draft, no real reason to be greedy.

Hey, I'm not saying the flyers should make that deal, I'm saying the other team needs to feel like they got a great deal, too. A fringe prospect, a chronically injured second pair dman and a 6/7 forward is not going to make a team giving up a 6th overall pick feel like they got a great deal. A first line winger, a fringe prospect, a chronically injured dman and a replacement pick would. Maybe.

Top ten picks almost never move once the draft order has been set. To get them to move, you have to make an unrefusable offer. The post that started this thread is definitely not that.

• Like 1

I was reading if Mez is not traded, they may trade Coburn to Calgary for 6th pick, I cant see how trading our only mobile young defenseman is a good move and we have to rely even more on 2 fossils, Timmo, Streit and the often injured Mez. Even if we get a great dman with the pick there is no guarantee he is stepping into the lineup to replace Coburn. As much as I would love us to get another first round pick, we need to deal guys like Laugton and Read , not a defensemen.

@RJ...

I think Calgary would want more than just Coburn for the 6th... I am not as big of a Coburn hater as most around these parts but if they traded him I think they would regret it. Moving Coburn only puts a bigger hole in a rather spotty defense.

• Like 1

Well you have Gus as a young, mobile Dman. MAB too, as long as he's healthy after the time he missed last year. Ideally if you have two draft picks, you pick up a stud forward and either Nurse or Risto. With the added forward depth, trading a piece to move up from 11 to get one of them becomes more palatable if it's necessary.

While I like Coburn, I would be ok with this sort of movement because it would start to look like a building plan, not a bandaging plan like we've been treated to for so many years. Skate Timo,Mez, Streit, Schenn, Gus, and Grossman with MAB as the 7th guy this year. Trade Timo and/or Mez at the deadline and let Lauridson come up. In the coming years you have a good mix of youth and vets, and you can inject your draft picks into the team next year or the year after. Sign quality depth and character guys in free agency (a la Lappy) and ignore the splashy deals. Build the team with a foundation. I'll take growing pains.

I hope whatever move Homer makes gets into the top 4 because from what I read that's where the "can't miss / franchise player" guys are. If he trades away Read and Laugton, McGinn (or whoever) plus our 11 to get us up to 6 that will be a stupiddumb move. You want to gut our fwd prospects and hand a team Read and Voracek we better be getting Seth or Drouin back in the deal.

• Like 1