Kovalchuk Poll

goalnut3133

I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but saw this poll on Sportsnet which was somewhat split & wondered what the thoughts on here would be in comparison? This poll is different in that it's not just gonna be a Yes, No, or Indifferent vote, but you can make a brief (or not-so-brief..haha) explanation of your vote:

Do you view Ilya Kovalchuk in a negative light because of his decision to retire from the NHL?

Absolutely. In the same light I view contract buyouts. You signed a document, swore on your word to live up to the conditions of that document. Now you rescind it. Your word is without value. You have no integrity. You live without honor.

Absolutely. In the same light I view contract buyouts. You signed a document, swore on your word to live up to the conditions of that document. Now you rescind it. Your word is without value. You have no integrity. You live without honor.

And you do it with Bettman's blessing because it would cost him money to enforce his own effin' rules........I call BS on this...Talk about a lack of character(Bettman). What would his answer have been if Snider told him Bryzgalov wants to "retire" from the NHL? Safe bet it would be a resounding NO as that would be considered cap circumvention......

• Like 2

This has nothing to do with contract buyouts. What Kovy did is totally different and not even remotely close to a contract buyout. I agree with you on what Kovy did was absolutely wrong in the worse possible way. I had to respect for him prior to this incident and I certainly have NO respect for him now. If he had even one iota of a notion of retiring, he or his agent should have done the right thing and inform the Devils of this much early than now. With the Devils now in obviously disarray, it will hopefully have benefits towards both of our clubs.

@pilldoc

I didn't say it had to do with the buyouts. I said I feel the same way about it. You signed a contract... honor it. If the players and the league want to allow them to offset their own stupidity then so be it. Doesn't mean I have to find it honorable to duck out on your word. I get that it's business... but doesn't mean I have to think good of it.

• Like 1

@goalnut3133

I viewed Kovy in a negative light prior to him leaving the NHL. The quest for the $100M contract was enough for me.

Selfishness damages the interests of everyone in a team.

I have always felt that dollar for dollar pound for pound he is easily the most overrated player in the game today. Yes, I know he played far and away the most minutes of any forward last year, but there always seemed to be something MISSING in his game. Too many goals late in a game when his team is either up or down by two or more, he is one of those who pads his stats at garbage time, IMHO.

Very interesting, peoples!

Here is the Sportsnet poll results thus far:

Do you view Ilya Kovalchuk in a negative light because of his decision to retire from the NHL?

No 67.92%

Yes 32.08%

Edited by goalnut3133

@goalnut3133

That's quite shocking. Ultimately I wouldn't want a guy like this on my team and believe he royally screwed the Devils but in the end they will be far better without that smacked-a$$ on the team!!! Maybe not for years but ultimately.....

• Like 1

Ok, I don't mind being the black sheep of the family here. Honestly, I don't think less of him because of this (and that's not because I thought little of him before). No matter how much money they make, at the end of the day these guys are still human beings, and he wanted to go home (like ET). It didn't even come out of the blue, LL said that they've been talking about this for a while now. So the Devils had some time to make plans for it. I can't not respect someone for wanting to be close to his family and to play hockey in his home country. And nobody forced NJ to give him such a ridiculous contract.

@JackStraw

How honorable - he wanted to be with his family. It had nothing to do with the MORE money they will pay him over there? He came over here FOR THE MONEY. And he left FOR THE MONEY. I wouldn't have a problem with it, other than he signed a deal that will cost his team a first round pick, Parise, Clarkson and now they have nothing to show for it.

I don't know about you guys, but my home is where ever my wife and child are. Me thinks he used a PC reason to leave NJ, likely due to the mass exodus of talent over the last 12 months, Marty soon to retire, and fled for the money, rather than go through the tough times ahead for Jersey. Questionable character..........confirmed!

• Like 2

Maybe Kovy did not want to play for Peter The Bore and the "exciting brand of hockey the Devils are known for."

I am actually glad he's gone because he always seemed to score a big goal against the Flyers.

• 2 weeks later...

If he really just wanted to be closer to his family, I can't really take issue with that. If he simply didn't want to play for the Devils, well I can't fault him for that either? Who would? ZING!

Well I don't think anyone put a gun to his head when he signed that contract to, play for the Devils. It's all about the money.

Well I don't think anyone put a gun to his head when he signed that contract to, play for the Devils. It's all about the money.

People are entitled to change their mind, espcially if it comes to putting your personal life before your professional one. I'm not a career man and never will be. I just don't care that much. If he truly wanted to be closer to his family, I have no problem with his decision.

Is he getting more money in Russia than his NHL contract would have paid him?

This is what everyone's up in arms about. Comparable salary of 77 mill earned in NHL over 12 yrs vs. over 4 yr period in KHL (& more $ in fact). On top of that, there was talk that he plans to return to the NHL in 3 yrs time....