Lavy out, Berube in

albertaflyer

I wonder if Patrick Roy would try push the glass down between the two benches with Berube back there. At least we say we have the toughest head coach in the league. I don't know if it will make the Flyers better but atleast its something.

@Poulin20

berube looks terrified.

and snider just said a fresh perspective is specifically not needed.  angrily.

Yeah I saw that Aziz...I dont think that there was 1 thing in that press conference that encouraged me 1 bit about this team for the short or long term future!

Snider's arrogance was through the roof during this thing (I dont remember him being there usually either).  He acts like he wants to win the cup every year then when challenged he defends the team saying we have been to the finals many times over the past 38 losing seasons and that we have made the playoffs a lot and that = a culture of winning and we dont need a culture change?  I would have liked the reporter to follow up and say "That is a culture of competing and being competitive, but with all due respect sir, there is a big difference between competing and winning".

This mentality scared me at the STH townhall this year.  Now the team is making excuses about  there being 30 teams, NHL parity ala the salary cap, and the strategy is now to just get there and see what happens.  Frankly those excuses are not valid as this team could not win when there were only 21 teams and no salary cap.  It is a mentality thing and we need a big overhaul in that area.  I love the moxie that Snider showed in forming this team and bringing home the cup 2X within the 1st decade of existance but then nothing since Keith Allen was GM.  His ego is too big to change anything and that is holding us back the most IMHO.  I never wanted to believe that but this presser confirmed what we all knew.

see Blysma, Dan.. Quennville, Joel

who knows , maybe it works....

i'll bet Chief doesn't take any lip from these sissy boys though.

My point exactly!  Hopefully Berube proves us all wrong (Why do I feel like I make that statement at least 2-3 times per year with this team!)

• Like 1

I dont think that there was 1 thing in that press conference that encouraged me 1 bit about this team for the short or long term future!

the *only* thing that gave me *any* hope was the "we know who we've got" comment.  which, on the one hand, was probably just a throw away bit of deflecting.  on the other hand, maybe they really are confident in berube for reasons we haven't seen, having never seen him as anything really other than a knuckledragger.  maybe he does have a gift for this kind of thing and will be great?  i'm reaching, but it's too early in the season to throw up my hands, so have to find something hopeful.

• Like 1

Changing the GM may not do anything immediately, but changing the GM is what needs to be done.  Homer has made too many mistakes and his head should have been on the chopping block along with Lavi's.  I get that Lavi was on a short leash after a tough season last year, but to just consistently blame the failures of the Flyers on every coach that has come through is getting old.  I'm not buying it any more.  We all appreciate the willingness to spend money from the ownership and get big named players, but how can this team ever grow under a system when the players and coaches are changing every few years.

I'm not saying a new system may not be needed, but come on, how many times do we have to go through this?

No, changing the owner is what needs to be done. Nothing will change with the old man calling the shots. It doesn't matter if you have a great GM, horrible one, or just an ok one, they are all subject to the non-existent patience of Ed Snider.

• Like 1

This team does not have the talent to compete with the best teams in the East - it's that simple.

Flyer fans consistently overrate our team, this year is no different. 

Maybe Berube can instill a different system that puts more emphasis on neutral ice pressure/trap, forcing turnovers and getting odd-man breaks to make up for the lack of talent we have up front.  We don't have the horses to run and gun with a lousy back check by slow undiscplined players and older D men who will wear down(my impression of what Lavy wanted).  This team hasn't been able to score 5 on 5 for two years now, so why not run a Roger Nielsen type system until we can upgrade our forwards?  

Just my 2 cents.

You know, I think this team does have the talent to compete. They just need to put it all together and play to their strengths. It became obvious over the past year and a half that Laviolette was not the guy to do it. Maybe Berube is, maybe he isn't. But I don't think they lack talent.

• Like 1

No, changing the owner is what needs to be done. Nothing will change with the old man calling the shots. It doesn't matter if you have a great GM, horrible one, or just an ok one, they are all subject to the non-existent patience of Ed Snider.

I don't disagree, but the only way the reins of the team will be taken from Snider will be from his cold, dead fingers.

How dare the press ask Snider a question.  Ha.   The emperor looked pissed.  

And Berube left a little to be desired in his only response.  "They need to play better team defense.  Need to play better off the puck".  Holmgren says Berube is one of the great hockey minds in the game.  Hopefully so, but gotta say I'm shocked to hear that.

Yeah I am guessing they are blowing smoke here with the "One of the great hockey minds" quote.  They are not going to say "He is just the nearest warm body we could find".  My heart says give him a chance my mind says this is a big mistake.

This just goes back to Homer's lack of a plan IMHO. He said during the presser it was a gut feeling.  Maybe he just needed some Roalids or something...I dont know but I do not trust Homers gut anymore.  I think he is using the colon portion of his gut to make alot of these decisions. 

I would have liked the reporter to follow up and say "That is a culture of competing and being competitive, but with all due respect sir, there is a big difference between competing and winning".

but come on...I mean I hate defending Ed when he got so needlessly defensive (hit a sore spot obviously) but if the reporter followed up  with that Ed would've just rightly dismissed him with a "EVERYONE'S trying to win the Cup IDIOT!" and he'd be right. First you're competitive then you're a champion - maybe.

I mean we're so quick to say "they suck" and "no Cups in 40 years!" but where's the perspective Flyers fans? We *have* accomplished more than most NHL teams since '67. That's just a fact. Yes it sucks not to win the Cup since 75 but MOST teams haven't even had a SNIFF at it.

• Like 1

of course I'm not saying "be happy with it" I'm only saying don't lose your perspective. When the big boss reminds a reporter how hard it is to win The Cup and points to some successes the Flyers have had let's not dismiss him as being arrogant - even if he did get stupidly defensive. He was more right than wrong - at least imho he was.

But I would've liked to hear a "real" answer to the question - definitely. Why exactly don't they need a "fresh perspective?" It would've been interesting to hear why Ed is so sure they don't.

edit: what exactly would a "fresh perspective" look like? THAT would've been interesting to hear.

Edited by canoli

but come on...I mean I hate defending Ed when he got so needlessly defensive (hit a sore spot obviously) but if the reporter followed up  with that Ed would've just rightly dismissed him with a "EVERYONE'S trying to win the Cup IDIOT!" and he'd be right. First you're competitive then you're a champion - maybe.

I mean we're so quick to say "they suck" and "no Cups in 40 years!" but where's the perspective Flyers fans? We *have* accomplished more than most NHL teams since '67. That's just a fact. Yes it sucks not to win the Cup since 75 but MOST teams haven't even had a SNIFF at it.

I think everyone appreciates all the good things this team has done.  I defend them to the hilt when people say they are a poor franchise, but when is being competitive no longer good enough?  What is holding them back from taking the next step?  Those are fair questions and they deserve honest answers.  Everyonew, including Ed, needs to look at themselves in the mirro and determine what needs to change to get past simply making it to the cup finals. 

I think after watching this team for so long, we all have a ton of perspective.  We, the paying customers, do have every right though to question why we have not won it all in 40 years.  Being a competitive team is great, but unless you have something to show for it, it loses it luster.

• Like 2

Per Sarah Baicker, Berube is not interim coach, he's the new coach.

Oy Veh! You'd think they'd learn after Stevens. How and why is this guy going to bring a new set of eyes?  Maybe he will be more militant--tougher. OK But it is more of the inside bias that plagues this organeyeshayion if I can invoke Canadianese. 

Howie

I think everyone appreciates all the good things this team has done.  I defend them to the hilt when people say they are a poor franchise, but when is being competitive no longer good enough?  What is holding them back from taking the next step?  Those are fair questions and they deserve honest answers.  Everyonew, including Ed, needs to look at themselves in the mirro and determine what needs to change to get past simply making it to the cup finals. 

I think after watching this team for so long, we all have a ton of perspective.  We, the paying customers, do have every right though to question why we have not won it all in 40 years.  Being a competitive team is great, but unless you have something to show for it, it loses it luster.

Well said Adams... I though Snider came off like a prick to be honest.   You continually are doing the same thing over and over again (definition of insanity btw) with the same results.   How many Coaches have we had in the past 20 years?  Lavy was here 3 1/2 years and he was tenured the same as Shero.   No, Mr Snider it does not work and coming off like that to your fans is not a good thing.

of course I'm not saying "be happy with it" I'm only saying don't lose your perspective. When the big boss reminds a reporter how hard it is to win The Cup and points to some successes the Flyers have had let's not dismiss him as being arrogant - even if he did get stupidly defensive. He was more right than wrong - at least imho he was.

WHAT SUCCESSES?????  I am not shouting at your, Canoli, so please don't take it pesonally.  I am just very angry at this point. 

Not angry with the decision to fire Lavy.

Not angry with the way the team has started the season.

Not angry even with a decision to promote Berube as a permanent coach... after all he may actually be a good coach; we won't know until we see him coach.

But this press conference was a complete insult to the Flyers fans and frankly, a total joke. The words that came out of Snider's mouth were embarrassing. The team has not won the Cup in almost 40 years.  That's almost half-a-century mark.  Think about this for a second, guys.  Obvioulsy, *something* is not working. To every normal human being, this would signal that the roadmap you sketched and tried to follow for teh last several decades is flawed.  Otherwise, the team would not be at a position they are in right now. But no, not to him.  It's that sort of arrogance, narrowmindness, inability to being flexible, and bullheadedness that will prevent the Flyers from winning the Cup until he either dies or steps down (yeah, like I am ever holding my breath for that to happen).

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

WHAT SUCCESSES?????  I am not shouting at your, Canoli, so please don't take it pesonally.  I am just very angry at this point. 

Not angry with the decision to fire Lavy.

Not angry with the way the team has started the season.

Not angry even with a decision to promote Berube as a permanent coach... after all he may actually be a good coach; we won't know until we see him coach.

But this press conference was a complete insult to the Flyers fans and frankly, a total joke. The words that came out of Snider's mouth were embarrassing. The team has not won the Cup in almost 40 years.  That's almost half-a-century mark.  Think about this for a second, guys.  Obvioulsy, *something* is not working. To every normal human being, this would signal that the roadmap you sketched and tried to follow for teh last several decades is flawed.  Otherwise, the team would not be at a position they are in right now. But no, not to him.  It's that sort of arrogance, narrowmindness, inability to being flexible, and bullheadedness that will prevent the Flyers from winning the Cup until he either dies or steps down (yeah, like I am ever holding my breath for that to happen).

Clap, Clap, Clap!!!   THIS is GREAT!  Nice work MD!

Good THN article by Ken Campbell

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53708-Owner-Ed-Snider-defends-bold-never-boring-Flyers-culture-after-firing-Peter-Laviolette.html

All right, so the Philadelphia Flyers are rapidly becoming a train wreck, one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NHL. But when it comes to setting a course, there are a lot of teams that could only aspire to be so dysfunctional.

And that was what this was all about. Being bold. Cutting your ties with someone over whom the Sword of Damocles was hanging and starting bold, new and fresh. Berube will provide a fresh voice to the players, who will likely respond to him in a positive way. Look for John Paddock to do the heavy lifting when it comes to tactics and doing something with a patchwork defensive corps that needs a lot of work. Ian Laperriere will be a constant reminder to those wearing the orange and black exactly what putting that uniform on stands for and the sacrifices they need to make every game.