Downie is Back!

hf101

Only Philly fans who saw Downie for a short stint don't like this trade. Fans of every other team including the Avs can't figure why you'd trade an integral part of one of the hottest lines in the league for Talbot. I certainly don't see this as a bad trade from Homers perspective. Worst case scenario we lose a not so great contract for part of a season of Downie...who I'm sure we could move at the deadline for a decent pick.

Stop making sense.   I just want to keep on hating Downie.

How can it be comparable when Downie has 9 fewer points in 230 fewer games?

I think it's simple, the Flyers traded defense for offense.

OK, I was referring to goals, not points.  If looking at points (and that's fair), clearly Downie's stats are better.  No question.

How is this an upgrade offensively?

Because Downie had averaged points in every second game he has played in, where talbot has averaged points in every third? I mean, it isn't staggering, but that is 50 percent more offense than talbot.

1st, Gonna miss Talbot's PK but he has lost a lot of his skating speed since he returned from his broken leg last year. 2nd, I would hope that Gervais is a throw in so he can keep his buddy company. I am hoping that Downie has improved his skating since he left but at this point, he is still an improvement over Talbot offensively. Like him or not, he is an animal in the corners and down low with a nose for the puck. I think the Flyers got a solid rental player who is going to be playing for his next contract and seems to have harnessed most of his demons....Unlike Rux, I like the guy but we are going to have to live with his "reputation" calls, much the same as Rinaldo gets.

@albertaflyer

@brelic

Never thought of that. They do have a ton of space and have a lot of young guys on that squad. I can see it, but do you think that the Flyers would have to take salary back?

Maybe a depth D man and a 2nd would get it done. 

Time will tell.

Maybe part of a package to get Yakupov??? :D

Make it so!

Hartnell, Mezsaros and a 4th for Yakupov. Wait... that's too much. Keep the 4th.

• Like 1

Downie fills the hole left by Carle... :ph34r:

Talbot never really brought what I had hoped - but I also don't think the centre-overstocked team played him right. Guy should have been the 3/4 line center and instead was often shuffled hither and yon.

Downie can produce, though. I don't think a "better Rinaldo" is the right analogy as much as a "better Carcillo."

What's his Movember 'stache look like?

I guess another way at looking at this trade is Downie is an UFA after this year so the Flyers don't have to resign him they can promote Laughton to the big team to replace him. Where as Talbot has another 2 years @ $1.75 cap hit after this year. Like you said Radoran, Talbot hasn't produced what the fans thought he would. I always liked him as a player but it free up some cap space after this season.

11 games, 1 goal, six assists, 36 PIM

Yep, he's a changed man.

In fairness, 15 of that came from the 5 and 10 he took in Buffalo for fighting and I think yelling at the ref. He doesn't try to kill people as often anymore.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Sounds like he's really grown up.

Yeah. But. Just watched the fight on hockey fights.... Dude threw Downie onto Miller, then picked him up and started punching Downie in the face, opening up a cut from earlier. Kind of a textbook instigator situation, but no call. And the yelling wasn't rask-style. Very soft ten minutes.

Anyway, the guy is no angel, but he isn't the out of control lunatic he was when he first entered the league.

Downie had a second line role in Colorado with talented lunemates, Talbot had third line sometimes. Utility guy with no spot thanks to mismanagement.

You traded heart and hockey smarts for grit and a bad temper. Neither really stands out offensively more than the other, maybe Downie by a hair offensively. Talbot much better defensively.

I suppose it came down to what you wanted, heart or grit. Talbot's heart helped us win. Downie's grit hasn't accomplished anything.

• Like 2

He doesn't try to kill people as often anymore.

LMAO!   I love it.  I'm just trying to picture hearing that line and keeping a straight face in ANY other context.  

Daughter:   "Meet my fiance."

Dad:  "He's an a-hole."

Daughter:  "B..b....b..but dad...he doesn't try to kill people as often anymore.  Only on the 14th of the month if it falls on a Tuesday."

Recruiter:  "Yes, I'm doing a job reference on a Steve Downie?"

HR:  "Well, he did work here."

Recruiter:  "What can you tell me about his attendance?"

HR:  "Well, he did miss quite a bit of time."

Recruiter:  "Hmmm.  Okay.  How about his attitude?"

HR:  "Well, we had some issues there, but the good news is he doesn't try to kill people as often anymore."

Doctor:  "The meds will likely make him drowsy and might cut his appetite, but the hope is he doesn't try to kill people as often anymore."

Mrs. Downie:  "Oh good.   We were going through twinkies like Adam Lambert on a binge."