Downie is Back!

hf101

I'd forgotten Downie was first line in Tampa. Playing with Lecavalier and MSL boosted his numbers. But that may work well for you with old man Vinny your top scorer right now.

well he plays on the right side so this is good for the Flyers in a number of ways. I liked VLC with Giroux but if the Flyers ever get up to speed with what Berube wants then Lecav can go back to centering the 2nd line and hopefully Downie, Giroux and Raffl can work some magic.

• Like 1

Late to the thread a bit, but here's my 2 cents. 

I have no problem with this trade whatsoever. I like Max as a player but we have a logjam at centre and he can easily be replaced. Think Laughton next season or possibly even Cousins. 

In the mean time we got an offensive upgrade in Downie who can potentially play on the first or second line. 

This was posted by me in a thread in the Avalanche forum and I stand by it:

Posted Oct 12, 2013 - 08:46 PM

yave1964, on 11 Oct 2013 - 9:30 PM, said:snapback.png

Paddy Roy has them playing with an attitude, I cannot stress enough Steve Downie is a presense for them, a Milan Lucic lite as it were. If it weren't for his injury early in the season last year the club would have had a bit of swagger. Having him healthy allows a bit more space and confidence for the kid forwards to move and grow.

Downie has always had it in him IMO, he has certainly matured over the last few years. As long as he avoids the dumb suspensions he will be a force for them. I remember one of the scouting reports on him prior to the draft quoting a scout as saying "you win with guys like this on your team, with his grit he belongs in the W(HL)"

He has certainly matured since his time with the Flyers and even if it should all go wrong he is UFA at the end of the season. I really don't see a huge down side to this trade.

• Like 1

With Downie, Simmonds, Hartnell, and Rinaldo to provide toughness on the wings, playing Rosehill should be at least be a rarity.

Rosehill should not see the ice again. Period. End of sentence. Adam Hall is great at face offs and will more than adequately fill Talbot's PK shoes.

• Like 2

well he plays on the right side so this is good for the Flyers in a number of ways. I liked VLC with Giroux but if the Flyers ever get up to speed with what Berube wants then Lecav can go back to centering the 2nd line and hopefully Downie, Giroux and Raffl can work some magic.

VLC has erupted since being put with Giroux - why move him off? And at this point by "him" I mean Giroux and by "off" I mean "off the first line" :D

Downie-VLC-Giroux (or, fine, with G in the middle) sounds like a line very similar to the VLC/MSL line...

I think Raffl has shown he deserves at least a longer look in the top 9

Raffi hasn't really impressed me a lot.  Okay, but nothing terrific.  But I completely agree he deserve(s/d) a longer look.  Have to imagine he's going back to ADK.

Raffi hasn't really impressed me a lot.  Okay, but nothing terrific.  But I completely agree he deserve(s/d) a longer look.  Have to imagine he's going back to ADK.

Raffl has been so good it has almost made me forget about Mika Pyorala.

Almost.

Admittedly I have a small sample size, but what I've seen is a guy who forechecks, creates turnovers, and generally plays like the most interested guy on the ice. Now in the end, he may only be a 4th liner, but he's showing a lot of the little things that I'm not seeing from the vets right now. And on a struggling team, that's where I prioritize my ice time.

• Like 2

hopefully Downie, Giroux and Raffl can work some magic.

Ugh. If the best wingers we can give our star captain are Downie and Raffl, then the GM has failed.

Try Downie with G and Vinny. Send Raffl to the 4th, send Rosehill to Notting Hill or anywhere not on this continent. (sidebar: another head scratcher, why Homer felt he needed to sign a borderline NHLer to a MULTI YEAR deal). Think about it people... numbskull Rosehill makes more money than (I'm guessing) anyone on this board. By a lot. For doing nothing.

Downie/G/Vinny

Hartnell/Schenn/Jake

Read/Couturier/Simmonds

Raffl/Hall/Rinaldo

Ugh. If the best wingers we can give our star captain are Downie and Raffl, then the GM has failed.

Try Downie with G and Vinny. Send Raffl to the 4th, send Rosehill to Notting Hill or anywhere not on this continent. (sidebar: another head scratcher, why Homer felt he needed to sign a borderline NHLer to a MULTI YEAR deal). Think about it people... numbskull Rosehill makes more money than (I'm guessing) anyone on this board. By a lot. For doing nothing.

Downie/G/Vinny

Hartnell/Schenn/Jake

Read/Couturier/Simmonds

Raffl/Hall/Rinaldo

I actually quite like those lines.

Which means we'll never see them in action. 

Well done, brelic... :D

I actually quite like those lines.

Which means we'll never see them in action. 

Well done, brelic... :D

Get Chief on the line! Pronto!

I think those lines bring balance, and really brings to light the fact that Talbot was the odd man out. He was a player without a home in the lineup, and at the same time, we get rid of a multi-year commitment and take on a pending UFA who has something to prove.

• Like 1

Admittedly I have a small sample size, but what I've seen is a guy who forechecks, creates turnovers, and generally plays like the most interested guy on the ice. Now in the end, he may only be a 4th liner, but he's showing a lot of the little things that I'm not seeing from the vets right now. And on a struggling team, that's where I prioritize my ice time.

Yeah. I'm seeing third or fourth liner with hands of stone but with energy...so far. I would have been willing to give him a longer chance at the top line, but I'm thinking that's where Downie is going

Ok... I had a few beers on the Halloween trek and had time to think... It is a wash of a trade and if the nutcase scores or helps us score than good deal... Plus, he is on a tryout with us in a contract year.

I am willing to give it a try but think the zebras are gonna be tough on calls w this team.

Prost!

Yeah. I'm seeing third or fourth liner with hands of stone but with energy...so far. I would have been willing to give him a longer chance at the top line, but I'm thinking that's where Downie is going

Fair. I guess I view him as more of a 3rd liner, but in the end that's really splitting hairs. Fourth line might not be that bad a role for him, if he can continue to provide the energy there. A Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo line might actually be able to play decent minutes on a nightly basis.

Funny how every Avalanche fan is up in arms about this trade. They love Downie and didn't want him gone and Tampa fans seem to have a lot of good things to say about him. A lot of people think Homer fleeced the Avs big time on this trade, yet this board is just filled with blind hate for Downie. 

• Like 3

I don't know what to think of this. I loved Maxx he was used the wrong way and played on a line of scrubs and overpaid for what he is that the GM's fault for over valuing him, and the coachs fault for playing him the incorrect way. I  am willing to bet they are going to overpay and trade away young players for Dutin Buttfkin just a hunch, or they are holiding up the white flag to its fans we will just play out this season and blow up the team and over pay for free agents as usual.

On a side note I really think G is playing with any  injury or just that he has no linemates but Vinny

Its sad I cant even watch a full game anymore just so disgusted

Edited by FlyersFan4Life

(sidebar: another head scratcher, why Homer felt he needed to sign a borderline NHLer to a MULTI YEAR deal). Think about it people... numbskull Rosehill makes more money than (I'm guessing) anyone on this board. By a lot. For doing nothing.

sidebar: another head scratcher... they traded something (Harry Zolnierczyk) to get him.

No, really.