Flyers at Senators, 12/11/13 - Downie's back, Raffl's out

brelic

I guess the most noteworthy aspect of tonight's game for the Flyers is that Downie will be back in the lineup, while Raffl is out with the flu.

According to Meltzer, here are the lines for tonight:

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Lecavalier/Simmonds

Downie/Couturier/Read

Rinaldo/Hall/Rosehill

And, Mason was first off the ice, so I guess he will start the game.

For the Sens, this will be Anderson's first game back from injury. That could be good or bad for the Flyers. I say pepper him hard with shots early on.

Game's at 7:30.

We will find out if the team is making strides towards improvement or if they have just been beating the really bad teams.

The Devils and Carolina games were terrible, just terrible to watch.  By all accounts they played well vs the Oil so which bunch shows up ,the monkey football ******* squad from early last week or Saturday's glimmer of hope.?

That 3rd line has a lot of potential for scoring. Pretty good speed from Read and pretty solid puck handling/passing from Downie/Cooter. I am thinking they will all be at least +2 tonight.

I'm with you

I like Downie for his skills..and think he can be a solid player without the antics.  The trade was rough because Talbot was one of those solid character guys and I honestly think it took some steam out of any bit of confidence the team was getting and set them back into full slump land. 

But what's done is done...I like this third line a lot and look forward to seeing what they can do

well, if Downie is his usual self, he could be the spark the Flyers need to finally get that offense going the way they are supposed to.

Also, you KNOW the Sens will try to bait Downie at every opportunity, so he needs to keep his wits about him and realize when a guy like, say, Chris Neil, is trying to take him off the ice.

Lecavalier and Downie, former teammates on the Lightning, should enjoy some familiarity and that should help on the ice.

Craig Anderson? He is the wild card here...when Craig is at his best, he is a brick wall and a show stealer...very underrated goaltender.

But will he be? 

I agree with @brelic , if you are the Flyers, test him early and often.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Very solid game, on the road against a quasi-quality opponent. 

Well played end-to-end. Most importantly, for me, there was good motion throughout the game - at even strength and power play. 

They need some swagger in their step going into the Penguins game, but they better not take too much out of this.

"Tomorrow is another school day."

Nice to see several guys start to get their mojo back, and Downie back in the mix. I mean even Couturier appeared somewhat fast for a shift or two...

I like this positive momentum.

I think the Read-Couturier-Downie line really showed something even as a "3rd" line.

If the Flyers can put together a 2A and 2B line situation, they can be very effective.

With Downie/Cooter/Read Line, it gives the Flyers a real chance at balancing the ice time WAY better than it has been. All of these lines seemed to click together tonight. The puckwas moving up ice all night without the constant kick back and reset EVERY FREAKIN TIME. It was a pleasure to watch them play again which is something I missed dearly.

This was a complete effort against a respectable club. I hope the momentum carries forward.

Mason got a richly deserved shutout. The guy has carried this squad and it was good to see teammates salute him at the end. 

Putting a fourth forward on the PP may be a very wise move for this club. It is nice to see some improvement. 

Best,

Howie

I remember you watching Downie play road hockey. You told me back then he was going to star in this league.

Yep.  Now only if they can get JVR back I can have my two all-time favorite players on the team.   Damn, I can't believe they traded JVR.   I was so upset about that and still am.

• Like 1

I guess the most noteworthy aspect of tonight's game for the Flyers is that Downie will be back in the lineup, while Raffl is out with the flu.

According to Meltzer, here are the lines for tonight:

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Lecavalier/Simmonds

Downie/Couturier/Read

Rinaldo/Hall/Rosehill

And, Mason was first off the ice, so I guess he will start the game.

For the Sens, this will be Anderson's first game back from injury. That could be good or bad for the Flyers. I say pepper him hard with shots early on.

Game's at 7:30.

I did not see much of the game, but I just had to say I'm glad Raffl is out. I hope that continues. It is completely unacceptable to me that he, Rosehill, and Hall play when the team struggles to generate offense and McGinn has showed something in a few stints with the team and keeps getting dicked around.

• Like 1

That 3rd line has a lot of potential for scoring. Pretty good speed from Read and pretty solid puck handling/passing from Downie/Cooter. I am thinking they will all be at least +2 tonight.

Based on what? Dead serious question, because I just don't see it. I like Read, but he's still not very proven yet. Both he and Downie have only hit the 40-point plateau once and Couturier has shown even less offensively. What kind of player is he supposed to be because offensively he's got a long ways to go.

I did not see much of the game, but I just had to say I'm glad Raffl is out. I hope that continues. It is completely unacceptable to me that he, Rosehill, and Hall play when the team struggles to generate offense and McGinn has showed something in a few stints with the team and keeps getting dicked around.

Agreed. I think the team feels Raffl's game is a little more refined and he can play different roles. I could be wrong though.

But, yeah, I don't have a problem with Raffl, but I don't think he should be playing over McGinn who was at least showing a nose for offense.

Based on what? Dead serious question, because I just don't see it. I like Read, but he's still not very proven yet. Both he and Downie have only hit the 40-point plateau once and Couturier has shown even less offensively. What kind of player is he supposed to be because offensively he's got a long ways to go.

Matt Read scored 24 as a rookie and 11 in 42 games last season ("on pace" for 20 again).

Downie has hit the 40 point plateau twice (46 in 79 in 09-10; 28 in 55 games for Tampa, 13 in 20 for the Avs in 11-12) and his 32 in 57 in 10-11 "projects" to more than 40 over an 82-game season - in a year in which he also had 14 points in 17 playoff games.

Couturier is in his third season.

From actually watching the game and taking serious notice of that line's play, I do think there is potential for "some" (if not "a lot") of scoring and sustained strong play.