Something to ponder

Irishjim

Wow Leighton was 12-3-1 with 2.07 and 935% HOLY SNIKES Pronger really waaaaaaas a huge difference maker!!!!!!

Plus that 4th line with Lappy Betts and Carcillo was waaaay better than the 4th they have now.

Powe and Asham were key role players too.

And no Simon.... :(

Wow Leighton was 12-3-1 with 2.07 and 935% HOLY SNIKES Pronger really waaaaaaas a huge difference maker!!!!!!

Plus that 4th line with Lappy Betts and Carcillo was waaaay better than the 4th they have now.

Powe and Asham were key role players too.

And no Simon.... :(

leighton was awesome when he started..all we remember was "THE LEAK"..its when he pulled his nut did he drop. before he got hurt it was homer found a jewel

• Like 1

leighton was awesome when he started..all we remember was "THE LEAK"..its when he pulled his nut did he drop. before he got hurt it was homer found a jewel

He found a goalie with a pumpkin and borrowed time. He had some good numbers but I squawked about him from day one. If it wasn't injury it would have been something. Seven time waiver sewage can get hot briefly but it's not going to last long.

It's the traveling snake oil sales thing. Some folks will buy it, and some folks will call BS

• Like 1

I don't remember him being good any of the finals.

It's also where my Carle hate began. Funny without him maybe they don't make it to the finals let alone the playoffs verse the Rags. But isn't that the game also the he gave up that one shortie...cause of Carle??

He had been pretty decent up till the finals. I was expecting more but yes that score...

...i was like did he score???

But i really already knew that answer i didn't want to believe it.

Edit:It's also where my Carle hate began. Funny without him maybe they don't make it to the finals let alone the playoffs verse the Rags. But isn't that the game also the he gave up that one shortie...cause of Carle??

It's almost a blur........worse than 97.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I saw that picture in Anthony SanFillippo's twitter timeline yesterday, I responded..."So we can expect Giroux and Simmonds to be traded after next season, Thanks for the warning."  

He didn't reply for some reason. :wacko:

He's waiting for someone to be available to read it to him.

Four years later and the best we can say is that a lot of the players involved in the trade and subsequent moves are producing at... about the same level?

Ah, statistics.

How about the one where this year's team (as depicted) has scored 17 fewer goals?

Or the one where 09-10 went 2-10-3 after the break?

Or the one where the core of 09-10 had been to the Conference Final two years prior?

But, hey, limp into the playoffs on a last-day shootout and count on two all-time historic things to happen in the second round and "anything can happen"...

I saw that picture in Anthony SanFillippo's twitter timeline yesterday, I responded..."So we can expect Giroux and Simmonds to be traded after next season, Thanks for the warning."  

He didn't reply for some reason. :wacko:

Brilliant! :D

Timmonen will never survive the physical series that are required to make it out of the east. Timmo will be hammered at every turn, and once he is diminished, or hurt its all over.remember what the B ruins did to him a few years ago...We just don't have the defensive depth or leadership.

I think the goaltending stats really tell the tale. That '10 team was a much better defense. I think we all agree we'd rather have this version of Mason than that version of Leighton and that Leighton had much better stats (though granted a smaller sampling) which tells you something about the defense.

Lavvy, Lappy and Richards set the tone and the rest followed suit, carrying forth an absolutely ridiculous forecheck with that team that just stifled offenses before they even thought about a transition game.

On the back end, coburn and Timmo & Carle and Pronger were stingy as could be.

I'm not saying that anything isn't possible, but Timmo couldnt last 4 rounds then and is 4 years older now. coburn is now the new Pronger and Streit is the new Carle. Essentially it doesn't measure up.

not saying history will repeat but it makes you go Hmmmmm

1939911_825128240835711_492169042_n.jpg

The writing is on the wall for this group, it might get into the playoffs, where an early exit awaits. I'd much rather have this team tank....which would give us two really nice things moving forward....

1) Homer gets **** canned, then we can get someone in place that can actually, ya know....construct a long term plan and stick to it.

2) We get a really nice draft pick, a nice 40 goal winger like De Colle or Ritchie would be real nice. Or perhaps add to the defensive prospects stockpile, guarding against a few of the guys that are there might be busts.

I'd sure like to see that then watch us get killed by a rag tag defense that we know can't get the job done.

I'd rather get more playoff experience for G, Voracek, Read, both Schenns, Couturier, and Simmonds.

So last year it would have done the team better, going forward, to lose in 5 games of playoff hockey than drafting one of MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Lindholm, Monohan or Nurse? 

IF we had all the pieces I'd say the experience would be more important....but when you're missing a top line winger and a couple defencemen, including a #1, GETTING those is way more important to me.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

seems like a touch of flawed logic there.  the flyers are unlikely to finish in the bottom 7, regardless.  i don't think the options are a)make the playoffs but lose quickly, and b)draft very early in the first round.  the choices at this point look to me to be a)make the playoffs but lose quickly, and b)draft 15th or so.  given those, yeah, it'll be more valuable to see a few NHL playoff games.  and, hey, while a really long run doesn't look in the cards, they might surprise a round or two and spend some real time in the post season.

• Like 1

2) We get a really nice draft pick, a nice 40 goal winger like De Colle or Ritchie would be real nice. Or perhaps add to the defensive prospects stockpile, guarding against a few of the guys that are there might be busts.

What do you think they'll get for either of them in trade?

A nice, stay-at-home second pairing defenseman maybe?

:ph34r:

@aziz

I named 7 because we were in the thick of it until we went on that "run" last year, which was, in effect, our playoffs. It was probably good for the team to do that. But getting one of those picks I mentioned likely would have been better in the long run.

This draft is packed with LWers. It would sure be nice to get a Dal Colle, Ritchie, Perlini to go on that top line. Or win the lottery (hockey gods be damned)and get that #1 Dman.

What do you think they'll get for either of them in trade?

A nice, stay-at-home second pairing defenseman maybe?

:ph34r:

It's really sad that you think that way rad. It's really sad that I think that way. it's really sad that THAT is the reality.

It's really sad that you think that way rad. It's really sad that I think that way. it's really sad that THAT is the reality.

As a history major, I'm well aware that the one thing history does with any regularity is repeat itself.

This draft is packed with LWers. It would sure be nice to get a Dal Colle, Ritchie, Perlini to go on that top line. Or win the lottery (hockey gods be damned)and get that #1 Dman.

true.  for good or ill, though, this squad is playoff-bubble quality.  big holes, but not massive holes, certainly not near a level with calgary, edmonton or buffalo.  15th-ish is about the highest they are going to draft pretty much regardless of what they do from here.