MacDonald has been Re-signed

I think the McDaddy got fair market value. Think it was rad comparing Carle's point totals to Mac's....but that does not tell the whole story. The eye test tells me that Mac makes far less brain fart types of plays, is much more dependable. When Carle made a mistake, it seemed to come at a crucial time, where it cost us the game or at least the lead....Andrew does not pull that crap....and I'm sure it's been mentioned how he stabilized Luke, which has to factor into the equation.

I can't see the flyers paying their third pair of McD and Schenn 9million in combined salary. Look for Schenn or Grossman to be traded after B Schenn is dealt for a young defenseman.

I can't see a market for Luke right now, maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick for a pure salary dump. I fear we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future, which makes the McDonald signing all that more important.

Kimmo definitely isn't done unless he says so for his health. He's been healthier this ear than any of the past few.

He just isn't playing like a 6 million dollar man.

If we can bring him back for much less. Like 4, I say do it.

What will happen instead is that Homer will put all his eggs in the basket of some absurd deal that will fall through and kimmo will sign somewhere else. Like maybe back home in Europe.

It Is What It Is I Guess. Good, Solid Young Dman. He's Looked Pretty Good So Far. After Reading An Article On Kimmo Yesterday Im Not Sure He's Done Yet. I Have To Think Someone (Grossman) Gets Traded After This Season.

Compare it to what we were paying Mezo.

At a relatively comparable cap hit, I'd rather have Mac.

Meanwhile we wait for Ghost.

I'm glad the Flyers are "making whole" the Islanders' investment in the player...???

He was being paid at that level because that's what he was producing at that level.

The Flyers are paying $5M per for the next six years to a guy who's primary statistical talent is shot blocking.

Again - I like the player - but I expect within three years to be hearing "why are we paying MacDonald $5M?" - from people who are happy as heck he'll be on the squad nextyear.

It's called "Brer Itis"

yeah, I did that and compared him to Yandle. It doesn't come out favorably.

And to Jason Garrison, and found him still wanting.

So let's add Alex Edler to the mix - Five consecutive 30+ point seasons, two 40-point seasons. His -39 this year is egregious, I grant you. This is clearly a down year for All Things Canucks.

Goligoski, five-time 30+ point player.

In fact, is there anyone making $5M as a defenceman in this league who hasn't hit 30 points at least once in his career?

What am I missing?

I completely "understand" it. Homer gave up assets and had to overpay in order to justify the expense of giving up the picks to acquire the player for this playoff run.

Overpay for the next six years.

I LIKE THE PLAYER. Hate the deal.

Plain and simple, Mac probably allows Streit to score and set up more goals.

I think the McDaddy got fair market value. Think it was rad comparing Carle's point totals to Mac's....but that does not tell the whole story. The eye test tells me that Mac makes far less brain fart types of plays, is much more dependable. When Carle made a mistake, it seemed to come at a crucial time, where it cost us the game or at least the lead....Andrew does not pull that crap....and I'm sure it's been mentioned how he stabilized Luke, which has to factor into the equation.

@radoran

Do you know if those other guys skate as well or qualify as puck moving defenseman? It's a big discriminator between Mac Daddy and Grossmann.

Nice price shopping BTW.

You mean the two Calgary guys? I'll wager they don't move it as well as MacDonald (again, I like the player). 

I will say this.

I expect great things. :D

On McDonald......

From a defenseman's perspective, it's pretty simple. If you breakup the rush before it comes into your zone, that's ideal. It's hard to generate a shot or a scoring chance if you can't get in the offensive zone. If you force your opponent to dump it in deep, they now have to go get it back, which may or may not happen. The worst case scenario is allowing them to carry the puck into the zone where they are free to take a shot.

What Eric found was that MacDonald was the worst on the team in all three areas among the regulars. He was targeted the most at 47.6%, he allowed carry-ins the most often at 78.1%, and he broke up the fewest rushes at 4.7% (Erik Gustafsson had a lower percentage, but in only 31 games).

If we compare that to Braydon Coburn, who was the best in all three categories, it's quite a difference. Coburn had a target percentage of 21.1%, a carry-against percentage of 62.8%, and a break-up percentage of an impressive 11.7%.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/4/15/5615178/andrew-macdonald-flyers-defenseman-neutral-zone-play

Just opinions.......you know what they say.....

Edited by OccamsRazor

<grunch> haven't read through the entire thread, but the first page was enough for me to tell you that you're all insane.

$5m for Mac is a good deal. the 6 years is obviously to circumvent the cap.. most likely why there is NO NMC. 

27 y/o gifted D man entering his prime. his steadiness and excellent ability to calm things down and move the puck up the ice is exactly what this team needed. 

Too much for too long. I like the player, but $5M for 6 is just too much.

By way of comparison, Matt Carle scored 35, 40 and 38 points for the Flyers in the three years before the organization balked at giving him, what? $5.5M (or less before the FA market)

Just for the record, that's more points than MacDonald has in his career.

Four points in 19 games, -3 for the Flyers. 24 points in 63 games for the Islanders, -19.

$5M

Heckuvajob Homer

You know I really like the guy and was doing jumping Jacks when it was announced we traded for him.

But I agree it's too much and too long. I guess those who say it may be the going rate may be right but yeah, too much for too long

You know I really like the guy and was doing jumping Jacks when it was announced we traded for him.

But I agree it's too much and too long. I guess those who say it may be the going rate may be right but yeah, too much for too long

It's always 'too much and too long' with any new deal. and it always will be.. that's how sports contracts have gone as long as i've been watching. seems crazy now, until this summer when someone else with comparable numbers gets $6.5m from buffalo or some such. 

I would like to say this is a particular philly sports mentality, because i certainly don't see it here in nyc where they spend like it's hookers and blow money anyway, because it's the 'i told you so' indignation of the philly sports mentality. 'prove me wrong' is always the philly fan m.o. ... until then... anyone who would like to see the bright side of things is just looking through orange tinted glasses. 

• Like 1

It's always 'too much and too long' with any new deal. and it always will be.. that's how sports contracts have gone as long as i've been watching. seems crazy now, until this summer when someone else with comparable numbers gets $6.5m from buffalo or some such.

I would like to say this is a particular philly sports mentality, because i certainly don't see it here in nyc where they spend like it's hookers and blow money anyway, because it's the 'i told you so' indignation of the philly sports mentality. 'prove me wrong' is always the philly fan m.o. ... until then... anyone who would like to see the bright side of things is just looking through orange tinted glasses.

A little grumpy tonight, bak?

I like that he is signed and I'm a fan before a lot of people here. I took on just about everyone when he was first brought here.

And I did say that those saying it's the going rate could be right. And your point about it being tomorrow's discount is undoubtedly correct. History proves you right.

I'm still a little surprised it took as much as it did. I wonder if there's a little extra in the in exchange for no NMC.

Hello:

I wonder if Homer sees a pick escalation with the salary cup in coming years. Or is he happy with the guy.  Carle may seem better in retrospect. But we can't always judge with hindsight.

Peace,

Howie

YeAh... We'll be paying what? 2.5 million for the privilege of watching him win a cup with the bruins. Nice.

I think Chicago, Anahiem, LA or San Jose might have something to say about that. Your point is well taken, but coming out of the east will take a toll and the West has been the best this year (despite Bruins getting president trophy). 

<grunch> haven't read through the entire thread, but the first page was enough for me to tell you that you're all insane.

$5m for Mac is a good deal. the 6 years is obviously to circumvent the cap.. most likely why there is NO NMC. 

27 y/o gifted D man entering his prime. his steadiness and excellent ability to calm things down and move the puck up the ice is exactly what this team needed. 

How is it cap circumvention? He starts off at $4.25M and ends at $5.75M. There's no circumvention at all.

This is a similar deal to the ones he gave Hartnell and Timonen when they first came over. I agree with this sort of concept. It can be applied well. You hope to overpay at the front to be effectively underpaying on the back end.

It may turn out that it works out here - but I will say that both Timonen and Hartnell had much better pedigrees behind them when they got their deals as opposed to what MacDonald has ever done in the National Hockey League.

With the Flyers? 19 games. four points. -4. $5M for the next six years.

Again, I like the player. I think he's a positive force on the ice for the Flyers. 

I still don't think he's a $5M a year player next year.

Happy - ecstatic, jumping for joy - to be wrong.

• Like 1

2.5 million for the privilege of watching him win a cup with the bruins.

Not so easy. 

If no one else the Hawks might have a say so in that. And they did get the president cup curse.

It's a long battle no Seidenberg we'll see, that is a Flyer that would have looked good here.

I'm glad Mezz is gone he wasn't good here for what ever reason...he was spastic...never knew how to lean on anyone big pu-cee!

Relax guys. I was just joking. The bruins are good but prime for a topple.

I honestly thought they looked better than the wrstern teams we played, but there are a lot of good eastern teams who will take a good whack at them.

Not so easy.

If no one else the Hawks might have a say so in that. And they did get the president cup curse.

It's a long battle no Seidenberg we'll see, that is a Flyer that would have looked good here.

I'm glad Mezz is gone he wasn't good here for what ever reason...he was spastic...never knew how to lean on anyone big pu-cee!