Keys to this series IMHO

King Knut

Barring any repeated complete mental break downs (because we've seen those before). The key to this series may in fact be VLC centering that 4th line.

If they can continue to get that depth scoring that really could make the difference.

The other wild card is if we get Claude "The Shift" Giroux or Claude Giroux that got shut down so much by the rangers this year. Jake and Hartsy getting creative in key moments could help.

Schenn will really need a break out of his own if he's going to be a factor. If not, then Simmer won't be much of a game changer except on the PP.

The defense has been better lately and more consistently so, but these Rangers scoters will sneak up on you.

Ultimately I think if we can hold down their scoring, they'll miss Callahan in a 7 game series and our guys will get some opportunities as the games and the series rolls on.

OT games will probably benefit the Flyers in the long term.

Ultimately, I think Berube has to keep them focused and keep them from trying too hard if they don't score much right away. Bide their time. Taking chances too soon is how these rangers capitalize and score back breaker goals. Don't give them those.

If we can make them earn their goals and manage to score a few of our own without getting desperate, they have a good shot.

You can beat this team even if you play the game they want. You just can't start beating yourselves and giving them opportunities. Patience. Find the cracks. Don't force them.

Just my pointless observations. Who wants to trash me?

• Like 2

Barring any repeated complete mental break downs (because we've seen those before). The key to this series may in fact be VLC centering that 4th line.

If they can continue to get that depth scoring that really could make the difference.

The other wild card is if we get Claude "The Shift" Giroux or Claude Giroux that got shut down so much by the rangers this year. Jake and Hartsy getting creative in key moments could help.

Schenn will really need a break out of his own if he's going to be a factor. If not, then Simmer won't be much of a game changer except on the PP.

The defense has been better lately and more consistently so, but these Rangers scoters will sneak up on you.

Ultimately I think if we can hold down their scoring, they'll miss Callahan in a 7 game series and our guys will get some opportunities as the games and the series rolls on.

Ultimately, I think Berube has to keep them focused and keep them from trying too hard if they don't score much right away. Bide their time. Taking chances too soon is how these rangers capitalize and score back breaker goals. Don't give them those.

If we can make them earn their goals and manage to score a few of our own without getting desperate, they have a good shot.

You can beat this team even if you play the game they want. You just can't start beating yourselves and giving them opportunities. Patience. Find the cracks. Don't force them.

Scoring!!!!! That would be nice for starters I'll take just one more than the other team, I won't be greedy just be able to scorer on arguably the best goaltender in the NHL.

Then just play smart Flyer hockey for 60 minutes stay out of the box. One powerplay may just win this eitherway

Agree with a lot of your points for your squad.  Honestly, at the risk of sounding Devils like...  it's going to be cashing in on the few real glorious opportunities you get on Lundqvist.  He's so solid on the run of the mill shots, that when you get a lucky bounce or a two on one break, you're going to have to capitalize.  If you don't, it will be a short series.  

They can't get caught up with peppering him with 72 low % shots only to give up a 2 on 1 the other way. That'll be how to lose.

Agree with a lot of your points for your squad. Honestly, at the risk of sounding Devils like... it's going to be cashing in on the few real glorious opportunities you get on Lundqvist. He's so solid on the run of the mill shots, that when you get a lucky bounce or a two on one break, you're going to have to capitalize. If you don't, it will be a short series.

it's going to be cashing in on the few real glorious opportunities you get on Lundqvist.

I was thinking the same thing. Which means to me, shoot, crash, shoot crash- just don't get sloppy and let it go back the other way. 

The Flyers will win the PK special teams. If they can win the PP special teams, they will win. I think 5-on-5 the Flyers can match- particularly with VLC on that 4th line. Their can't be any bird-dogging by the Rangers with him there. 

Key to game is playing smart, are you listening Hartnell and Rinaldo. No stupid penalties.

No behind the back passes anywhere on the ice and no drop passes at the blueline. No OVER PASSING on the PP.

Greasy, Garbage goals against King Henry work just as well as a nice snipe!

Question for anyone....

Has King Henry ever had a playoff appearance and did he do well?

Maybe we have another MAF as far as playoffs go.....

Grasping at straws????

Maybe :)

His career regular season numbers (2.26, .920) are almost identical to his playoff numbers (2.28, .920).

He's steady as she goes.

While his regular season numbers have been in decline over the past 3 years, his playoff performance has been on the rise, at least when it comes to save % (.934 last year in 12 games).

So, Lundqvist is an elite goaltender any way you slice it.

Well I don't mean to split hairs with you Brel but I consider "elite" a guy who raises his game in the POs. And Lundqvist doesn't do that. To his credit he keeps up a high level. But he doesn't raise it either.

I'm not sure it comes down to "a few great chances." To me it's about the Flyers making life hard for Henry. If they do that, if they're in his face, bumping, banging, setting screens and causing havoc with traffic in front of him ...then he's beatable, absolutely. If the Flyers do that there will be many "great chances" to score.

Lundqvist is a solid goaltender but I can't quite call him "elite" until he takes his team past R2.

Well I don't mean to split hairs with you Brel but I consider "elite" a guy who raises his game in the POs. And Lundqvist doesn't do that. To his credit he keeps up a high level. But he doesn't raise it either.

I'm not sure it comes down to "a few great chances." To me it's about the Flyers making life hard for Henry. If they do that, if they're in his face, bumping, banging, setting screens and causing havoc with traffic in front of him ...then he's beatable, absolutely. If the Flyers do that there will be many "great chances" to score.

Lundqvist is a solid goaltender but I can't quite call him "elite" until he takes his team past R2.

I have no problem with saying Henry is elite... he would be on the short list off one of the Goalies in the league to build a Team around.   The Team he had in front of him for years was bad and he stole more than his fair share of games.   Additionally, look at his performances on the Olympic stage.  The guy is "elite" and a steady presence. 

F Lundqvist.

F the Rangers.

that is all.

I think that is a sentiment we can all get behind!

Sometimes the effect of playing big games with your back up is that the team comes together to play a much stronger team defense and finds their groove early.  The Flyers are capable of scoring goals against any team, so if they can play tight D and stay out of the box, then they have a shot at this series.  The games may be low scoring, but a win is a win.  Hopefully they can take one game at MSG and have Mason back for the games at WFC.  

• Like 1

Agree with a lot of your points for your squad.  Honestly, at the risk of sounding Devils like...  it's going to be cashing in on the few real glorious opportunities you get on Lundqvist.  He's so solid on the run of the mill shots, that when you get a lucky bounce or a two on one break, you're going to have to capitalize.  If you don't, it will be a short series.  

as an extension of what you are saying, historically, the flyers don't generate enough quality chances on lundqvist.

he doesn't allow soft goals (very often) and i am not sure we are skilled enough upfront to really test him.

we shall see.

I won't say that Vinny will be THE key, but I was thinking that he'd be the X-factor in the series.

Secondary scoring will tilt the series in the Flyers' direction.

I'm hoping for a breakout series from Brayden Schenn.

And hopefully Cooter does his thing & locks down the Rangers top line.

Go into N Y and win one of the two games  the first one is the best to win .

And they could get blanked in the Garden in G1 then turn it up...can INTANGIBLES be a key to a series? Berube's squad, sumthin about what they've shown in comeback after comeback - was it that game at the Joe where it started? 3 or 4 goals in the third?  I turned it off, then saw that W.  This roster elevated backcombs, what, 11 more times or something? 

HolmGMren must feel good levenly larding this lineup, whatever that means, oh, it means yer Schenns and yer Raffls and yer Streits light the lamp.

This season showed they got that 'MO that can turn playoff series, lezzdoit!