what a no-show effort.

AMMOnation

Havent posted in a long long time.

But holy ****. What a no show effort.

Simmonds where are you? Rinaldo where is the big hit? Giroux no shots? Absolutely no pressure from the forwards.

Most notable forward was Akeson he actually impressed the hell out of me until the double minor.

Plenty of effort, no space. Giroux continues to struggle elevating his game against solid defenders. And his slash ended the game effectively.

It was nice seeing guys like Voracek going out of their way to initiate and finish a check.

Rinaldo is wound up right now, scared to do anything in fear of getting a penalty. Got one anyway, but that was a weak call in the scope of how the game was.

The Flyers never set up in the offensive zone, and therefore, it limited Simmonds.

5 game series loss

Flyers need another stud center.

plus a couple wingers

and a stud #1 dman

about 5 players short of being a serious contender

I disagree. That Akeson double minor blew the game open. Otherwise, that's a tight one to the end. If Giroux was consistent, the Flyers win.

• Like 1

Greetings:

I am somewhere between mag and Doom.  I think this is where having four "balanced" lines is not as good as having 2-3 lines with a break-the-game type scorer. Having one Giroux and no alternative fear of God type is a problem .  The penalty was a hurt but the Rags were dominating the third period something fierce even without the dumb penalty.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 1

I disagree. That Akeson double minor blew the game open. Otherwise, that's a tight one to the end. If Giroux was consistent, the Flyers win.

doom, I agree with you that if you take away that minor, it's anybody's game. But the more worrying part for me is that the Flyers were basically just surviving most of the game. They could not prevent the Rangers zone entry and were left scrambling defensively most of the time. Add bad passes / turnovers because of the high Rangers pressure, and you had a team that was basically just treading water. They did not have very much sustained attack time. There was a short stretch in the 2nd, and a few chances in the 3rd.

Berube is going to have to make some adjustments for game 2 or else this risks being a short series.

• Like 1

If you took out the double-minor and they happen to win they would have been lucky. Rangers were hungry for the puck all game.

The double minor happened as did the invevitable.

Really have to 2nd guess Chief here, Akeson has 2 NHL games under his belt (First this season on the last game), why is a rookie in the lineup, on the 3rd line no less?

Downie is presumably hurt, put Mcginn in.

doom, I agree with you that if you take away that minor, it's anybody's game. But the more worrying part for me is that the Flyers were basically just surviving most of the game. They could not prevent the Rangers zone entry and were left scrambling defensively most of the time. Add bad passes / turnovers because of the high Rangers pressure, and you had a team that was basically just treading water. They did not have very much sustained attack time. There was a short stretch in the 2nd, and a few chances in the 3rd.

Berube is going to have to make some adjustments for game 2 or else this risks being a short series.

Bear in mind the Rags were line matching hardcore. Easy to do with last change. I'm hoping the wrinkles for the Flyers were mostly first playoff game jitters.

They do need to work on puck possession, especially Grossmann.

Start with more ice time for VLC, 7 min, yeesh, but 12 for Akeson, yikes.  Last time Holmgren praises Chief in the press for his great hockey mind.  Or is he several stepans ahead?

doom, I agree with you that if you take away that minor, it's anybody's game.

Only by the grace of Emery. The game was tilted to the rangers in the second. You are not going to win a hockey game when you are losing the shots / possession the way the Flyers where. There were spurts for sure, but Rangers had the possession game 2/3 of the time after the first and the shots reflect that. 

We (Flyers) got away from the hitting after the first. We can not run and gun with the Rangers. We need to bang them. 

• Like 2

This

I guess it's all in what you want to see, I thought the game was slipping away from the flyers after the very good PK effort from the rags, early zone pressure was for naught after losing possession of the puck and chasing haglund around for 30 seconds...that was where the game turned, the building woke up and so did the Rangers.

Timmonen ringing the post after a good possession was a bad break. Would have made it 3-2 with about 6 to play.

The result sucked, but I disagree with all who say no show effort ,poor effort, that game was tight until it wasn't.

Giroux looked hurt on the goal by A Mac, beautiful cross check from MacDougnah, perfect even, good extension and follow through with great stick placement . A thing of beauty really...I hope that ****** gets his from a Simmonds elbow riding up in the corner.

Also piss poor leadership from G running around like James Neal in the third. Dude's got a bad temper.

Also piss poor leadership from G running around like James Neal in the third. Dude's got a bad temper.

That's strange... When I saw Giroux with the wicked hack job that's EXACTLY who it reminded me of. Nobody is more frustrated about Neal's loose canon garbage than I am, and that play was right up the same alley, sadly.

Despite being dominated for long stretches in the first two periods, the Flyers were tied 1-1 going into the 3rd period of a road playoff game. If not winning, I think any road team would be happy tied with 20 minutes left and the ability to steal one on the road.  It was there for the taking, then we get totally dominated, Akeson cant control his stick and the Rangers show how to execute a PP. Down by two the Flyers gave a little push but could not cash in. Then the parade of idiotic penalties to the box begins. Giroux was lucky that first hatchet swing did not connect or he may be looking at a suspension today. Unacceptable for OUR CAPTAIN to act that way in the face of adversity. G gets careless, others say oh well I guess we are waving the white flag tonight when they see Giroux's stupidity. Rinaldo and BSchenn then follow the example of their Captain.

Disappointed in the mental toughness in the face of adversity.

I saw plenty of effort from the Flyers. The Rangers were clogging the neutral zone like there was no tomorrow and the Flyers had no answer. Berube wanted to dump and chase but the Flyers couldn't even gain the red line consistently. You can't chase if you can't dump. Berube needs to come up with a better strategy for game 2.

• Like 1

Really have to 2nd guess Chief here, Akeson has 2 NHL games under his belt (First this season on the last game), why is a rookie in the lineup, on the 3rd line no less?

come on man... was that penalty bad?  Absolutely!   Akeson earned a spot and is a better player than McGinn.  The kid had a good game up to that point and had 3 out of a paltry 15 total shots.  Blocked a shot... it was a mistake.   I would take Akeson and his skills over McGinn every day of the week.  Over Downie too...

It was a rookie mistake.

Any way you cut it the Flyers were completely outplayed.  Shots were 36-15, The King was not even tested, and the gameplan was terrible!   The Flyers had NO shots for the 1st six minutes of the 2nd period and for the 1st 7 minutes of the 3rd period.  And guess what?  they totaled 1 shot in the entire 3rd period.  

The kid made a mistake but the Flyers were pretty much outclassed in every way possible last night.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2

We (Flyers) got away from the hitting after the first. We can not run and gun with the Rangers. We need to bang them.

Agree. Although Akeson got in 3 hits, I'm wondering if Rosehill would be more effective on the fourth line.  I'd have to go back and look at the rosters of the last couple of games against the Rangers as to who was on the roster in those losses.

If the 4th line only gets 7 mins like last night, I don't think it matters who is skating on it.  For all the talk of rolling 4 lines, they certainly didn't do that.  And it's not because they were losing the whole game and playing catch up--as everyone has pointed out, this game was tied after 2.  

I can't figure out why that happened.  Line matchups dictated by Rangers have last change?  Makes no sense to me.

I saw plenty of effort from the Flyers. The Rangers were clogging the neutral zone like there was no tomorrow and the Flyers had no answer. Berube wanted to dump and chase but the Flyers couldn't even gain the red line consistently. You can't chase if you can't dump. Berube needs to come up with a better strategy for game 2.

This is how  I saw it as well.  They tried hard to execute a flawed plan to beat the Rags and it didnt turn out well.  They actually started out the 3rd period well and when they drew the PP I thought that this would be the turning point for them.  Unfortunately it was a turning point of the wrong kind as the kill woke up the Rags.  It appeared to me that the high sticking penalty occured as Akeson wiped out and was falling down.  I dont think that he was purposely taking a swing at Larry Hagman or whatever that stupid guy's name is.

My biggest worry was not so much the effort but the flawed plan coming from the Coach.  We tried run and gun during the season and that didnt work and now we tried boring Devils style hockey that we are not built for and that didnt work so what do we do?  We can beat the Rags as we beat them pretty handilly at home but I just dont see them doing it as they just dont seem to have any consistent answers for this bad matchup.

Better luck next year as the future is getting brighter if Homer and Ed can keep themselves in check as the team develops.

If you look at the Rangers' breakouts, there was rarely a Flyer pressuring the puck carrier as hard as the Rangers did to us. Berube needs to adjust and have a Flyer on every Ranger the moment they get the puck - actually, a moment before they get the puck. It forces rushed plays and turnovers, which is exactly what they did to us.

We can't be passive on the forecheck, especially since we seem unable to effectively counter the Rangers entry into our zone. 

We also need to take more and simpler shots and hope for rebounds, broken plays, and a little luck. The fancy passing play will not work against a Rangers team that clogs up lanes with sticks and bodies so well.

My three themes for Game 2, in case Berube is interested :)

Shoot from everywhere

Stick with safe plays to exit the zone and up neutral ice.

Swarm the Rangers in their zone.