Hextall's First Order of Business?

brelic

@brelic

Strictly from a Pens persepctive?

1. What was your favourite Holmgren trade/move? 

Signing Bryz. Extending Pronger. Trading Bob. Signing VLC.  Passing on Maatta. The Hartnell Contract. The Briere Contract.

2. What was the worst Holmgren trade/move? 

Buying out Bryz. Buying out Briere. Drafting Giroux when Nodl was still on the board. Trading for Simmonds.

3. What should be Hextall's first order of business? 

Bringing back Bryz to back-up Mason.

;)

Timo,Hartnell trade was the best I guess.

I hated the Pronger deal, still do so thats my worst.

Hexy's first order of business, work the phone lines til they smoke. Trade up to number 1 baby... :lol:

@brelic

Signing Bryz. Extending Pronger. Trading Bob. Signing VLC.  Passing on Maatta. The Hartnell Contract. The Briere Contract.

Buying out Bryz. Buying out Briere. Drafting Giroux when Nodl was still on the board. Trading for Simmonds.

;)

LOL, nice :) 

As a side note, Hextall wasn't even on the job for an hour and he already took a jab at the Penguins model. I thought that was funny. 

Anyone guess/know who Hexy was talking about when he mentioned a current franchise just stockpiling top picks? Edmonton? Florida? Buffalo?

As a side note, Hextall wasn't even on the job for an hour and he already took a jab at the Penguins model. I thought that was funny. 

Anyone guess/know who Hexy was talking about when he mentioned a current franchise just stockpiling top picks? Edmonton? Florida? Buffalo?

My guess was Florida. Maybe he was predicting what the Sabres were going to do, LOL

Pretty sure that was the Oilers. How many 1st overall picks do they have now?

Favorite: footpa for Hartnell and Timonen .

I also like when he stares down the beat reporters before answering a question he doesn't want to answer.

Least favorite : Upshall and a second for Carcillo ...who is now the most effective Ranger vs the Pens.

I didn't like the Gagne salary dump very much , and was puzzled by the VLC signing.

Hextall needs to: get younger and faster on defense, clear the log jam at center by moving a guy or two, find a real winger for the top line.

• Like 1

@brelic

;)

gotta be a wise a$$ in every group! ;)

HAHA good one CC. I'll give you this you are by far the best Leaf fan i've known....great sense of humor you give and take a great addition to these boards...and a knowledgeable Leaf fan, i thoughts those were like the Easter bunny....don't exist!!!!

So maybe there is a Ester bunny!  :ph34r:

JFQoxdi.png

Well, I don't know if I can really be called knowledgeable; I mean, they call me Clueless for a reason. :P

But friendly, knowledgeable Leaf fans do exist...more so than you might think. We just hide it under years of built up rage, heartbreak, and creative ways to consume alcohol.

I like these boards a lot because here I'm in the minority as a Leaf fan. I admit it's strangely nice to get away from the mob that is Leaf Nation every now and again. Also, on these boards you almost can't help being a closet Flyer fan. Just don't tell anyone I said that. :ph34r:

As I've trained my parakeet to say, "Fix the defense".

Pretty much in agreement with everyone else

1. Mason  - looks like we resurrected a career / drafting Morin / Hagg / Ghost (though it is to be seen how they adapt to the NHL)

2. Bryz and LVC

3. Gotta move VLC ..somehow

I read a speculation that maybe Nashville would be a good trading partner to move VLC to...He came to play in coach Lav's system and might waive his NMC to go to where he could play topline minutes.    I like it.

I read a speculation that maybe Nashville would be a good trading partner to move VLC to...He came to play in coach Lav's system and might waive his NMC to go to where he could play topline minutes.    I like it.

...clicking my heels together...clicking my heels together....please make this come truth 

As was a 1st for Eminger.

And for those that don't recollect, that 1st for Emminger turned into John Carlson. By far the Caps best defenseman and would be on the Flyers as well. Although Emminger was flipped (along with Steve Downie), Carle is no John Carlson. 

Underrated Homer moves:

Good

Trading for Ville Leino and NOT resigning him!

Jagr (good for signing him, bad that he's gone)

Mark Streit

Meszaros + 2nd rounder for MacDonald

Bad

Trading Pat Maroon for nothing (who has been useful for the Ducks)

Kris Versteeg (although the Leafs haven't done much with him and the picks we acquired

from the Panthers produced Ghost)

Pavel Kubina

Stefan Legein trade

As for Hexy:

I'm thinking it has to be the Brayden Schenn situation. Either resigning him or trading him needs to be priority #1

I read a speculation that maybe Nashville would be a good trading partner to move VLC to...He came to play in coach Lav's system and might waive his NMC to go to where he could play topline minutes. I like it.

Vlc for Weber

Vlc for Weber

How about VLC for Jason Garrison???

Just throwing that out there.....Garrison could help on the blueline. 7gls 26 ast 33pts -5 a little younger will turn 30 this coming november.

Similar contracts????

Garrison-Coburn

Streit-Mac

Kimmo-Schenn

Gus

Edited by OccamsRazor

Howdy:

I second the Timonen/Hartnell gig. 

Eminger...yeah. Concur.

Sign Emory or figure out backup; Maybe Mason's resurgence is only one season and he pulls a "Columbus" on us and reverts to mediocrity.

Hope all is well with folks. 

Howie

Holmgren's best move: Reshaping the Flyers franchise dramatically with two trades - Mike Richards to Los Angeles for Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round pick; Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, a 1st round pick who turned out to Sean Couturier and a 3rd round pick that turned out to be prospect Nick Cousins.

Holmgren's worst move: Flapping his yap about potentially signing Matt Carle to a team friendly deal, watching Carle sign with Tampa Bay and then go into panic mode by overbidding on Ryan Suter and then signing Shea Weber to that big offer sheet that Nashville said they were going to match. Holmgren had no plan that summer and it was painful to watch him navigate that summer the way he did.

Hextall's first order of business: Finding a legitimate top pairing defenseman for the club; Shoring up the back up goaltending.

How about signing Anton Stralman to a four year 4.5 per deal????? 

I'd prefer this to signing Niskanen.

Anyone?

Stralman is a very underrated d-man. Plus, he has a real nice hard accurate shot from the point, a area of need for us. I'd be ok with this kinda depth signing. Most importantly, he skates well.

Stralman is a very underrated d-man. Plus, he has a real nice hard accurate shot from the point, a area of need for us. I'd be ok with this kinda depth signing. Most importantly, he skates well.

And a right handed shot. So with Luke and Alt (provided he makes the team) that would give 3 righties and 3 lefties...nice balance.

Plus i'm not sold on one good year by Niskanen their are holes in his game (and will maybe want north of 6 mill) sure Stralman isn't as offensive as Nisk but i like his better all around game and his physical play which Nisk ain't. Plus it would take form the Rangers.

Streit and Amac are enough softies on the blueline.