Ice girls

AbelMorpheus

Were you asking me the question? 

If so, I'm not sure where you got the impression that those were my beliefs in any way.

My question was asked without judgment or evaluation @OH1FlyersFan just to better understand his position and where he's coming from.

Well, I did quote you, lol.

You said in a later post you wouldn't want your daughter doing it, which is a clear objection. I felt there was a similar tone in the comment I first responded to. If I'm wrong, just tell me what your opinion is and correct me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I did quote you, lol.

You said in a later post you wouldn't want your daughter doing it, which is a clear objection. I felt there was a similar tone in the comment I first responded to. If I'm wrong, just tell me what your opinion is and correct me.

You read more into my question than was intended ;) There was no judgment meant.

Personally, I think the idea of ice girls is cheesy. Don't really have a strong opinion either way because I don't much care about it. I feel the same way about game-day entertainment - to me, it's just an assault on the senses and takes away from the actual game being played on the ice. I don't need constant stimulation to enjoy a hockey game. I worked for the Sens for many years, and my game-day producer and I had many intense (but friendly) debates on this. :)

You read more into my question than was intended ;) There was no judgment meant.

Personally, I think the idea of ice girls is cheesy. Don't really have a strong opinion either way because I don't much care about it. I feel the same way about game-day entertainment - to me, it's just an assault on the senses and takes away from the actual game being played on the ice. I don't need constant stimulation to enjoy a hockey game. I worked for the Sens for many years, and my game-day producer and I had many intense (but friendly) debates on this. :)

Ok, my mistake. Thanks answering the question.

It's not necessary in the slightest, but I certainly am not going to complain about something nice to look at for a few seconds during a break in play.

I think it was a foolish move by the organization to remove the ice girls. There is no reason why the women couldn't clean the ice in similar attire as the men.

Jezus h christ. What is this world coming to?  My wife would kill to be an ice girl. The girls would have to leave a resturaunt because a player walked in? What a crock. Not to sound gay (not that there is anything wrong with that), but most hockey players are pretty good looking guys.

So, let me see if I can wrap my miniscule brain around this: an ice girl does not want her job because she might be subjected to a a good looking millionaire at a restaraunt?

As a fan, I like it. Its no differrent than cheerleaders at football games.

There is not one angle here that I understand.

Whats next, Hooter girls where loose / long sleeve shirts and baggy pants?

The girls would have to leave a resturaunt because a player walked in? What a crock. Not to sound gay (not that there is anything wrong with that), but most hockey players are pretty good looking guys

I'm sure that had more to do with HR issues than anything else.

So, let me see if I can wrap my miniscule brain around this: an ice girl does not want her job because she might be subjected to a a good looking millionaire at a restaraunt?

it wasn't the girls who objected to millionaire players eating at the same restaurant it was their bosses.

it wasn't the girls who objected to millionaire players eating at the same restaurant it was their bosses.

I guess I sort of get it (and sort of don't). So the "bosses" frowned on fraternization with the "ice girls" thus their choice to remove them and replace them with boys? What if the hockey player is gay? I say that without jest and the same thing occurs (ie restaraunt scenario).

At the end of the day for me, I would much more prefer my players fraternizing with folks that I know something about rather than a skank buck (um puck) bunny. 

Well, per Philly.com it was announced at last nights game that the ice girls are coming back...

I do like the fact that Lou Nolan had to plead with the crowd not to boo the ice guys LOL. Would post the link but am on my mobile and it's a little fiddly to do...

Well, per Philly.com it was announced at last nights game that the ice girls are coming back...

I do like the fact that Lou Nolan had to plead with the crowd not to boo the ice guys LOL. Would post the link but am on my mobile and it's a little fiddly to do...

LOL, I had this mental image of Lou scolding the crowd, PLEASE....do *not* boo the ice guys ladies and gentlemen!!  Hilarious, you might as well supply rotten vegetables and eggs....

Nice writeup.

I especially agree with

Bring back the Ice Girls, and put them in the same outfit as the Ice Guys. Model whatever new hoodie or tshirt you're trying to sell each night and let them do their jobs -- clearing the ice during games, appearing at public functions, greeting fans at the door when they show up at the arena, etc.

And then, once the women return, treat them like people who are equal to the men who do the exact same job.

This won't appease one loud segment of the crowd, who will boo until they see cleavage and bare legs on the ice again. But it's the right thing to do in just about every possible way. Do the right thing, Flyers.

Nice writeup.

I especially agree with

funny that's the part I found the most objectionable, and a pretty shallow and boring observation. Some fans won't be satisfied till they see cleavage? Oh please. What a cheap, predictable shot. The author should read his own story; he pointed out earlier in the article that T&A is everywhere already.

Nobody is gonna cry if the girls are dressed for the weather during outdoor games. And nobody should cry (or call a lawyer or email the ACLU) if the girls are dressed provocatively for indoor games.

I bet the ice girls would've been missed just as much had they never showed cleavage or worn short shorts. I think we would've heard the same boos, seen the same outcry to bring them back.

The real scandal here is the b.s. wages the girls were (are) paid and the rules regarding fraternization between the girls and the players.

you homo

LOL

Seriously though. Why? I'm there for hockey. I've got other places to go to see women.

I also don't understand why we suddenly need the ice cleaned eevery five minutes after decades of not. It's just pointless.

I don't care if it stays. But it's just dumb. I'm at the game I honestly pay very little attention to it.

i know what you mean, and it's not like I'm waiting for a stoppage so I can see the ice girls do their thing. But since they added it I think it works. ...a little break in the action for some girls to come out and sweep up. Big deal. You're coming at it from a "purist" angle and I respect that, and I understand it. But it's *all* entertainment to me - and occasionally a gamble - so I figure what the hell? 

The real PITA for me at the arena is the stupid loud-ass music and commercials. The broadcast advertising on the scoreboard - that is just...obnoxious. And it kills me how sad it is - we get wound up about the Ice Girls - or we don't, either or - meanwhile businesses and corporations shove their crap in our ears in our eyes every step of the way. That's accepted, taken for granted, but it wasn't that long ago you used to be able to catch up on scores on the uh...what's it called again? oh yeah the ScoreBoard... when you went to a game. Oh sure - if there's time they still flash a few scores - but years ago it was scores, stats, schedule, all sports stuff. Now - it's FU Pay Me.

i know what you mean, and it's not like I'm waiting for a stoppage so I can see the ice girls do their thing. But since they added it I think it works. ...a little break in the action for some girls to come out and sweep up. Big deal. You're coming at it from a "purist" angle and I respect that, and I understand it. But it's *all* entertainment to me - and occasionally a gamble - so I figure what the hell?

The real PITA for me at the arena is the stupid loud-ass music and commercials. The broadcast advertising on the scoreboard - that is just...obnoxious. And it kills me how sad it is - we get wound up about the Ice Girls - or we don't, either or - meanwhile businesses and corporations shove their crap in our ears in our eyes every step of the way. That's accepted, taken for granted, but it wasn't that long ago you used to be able to catch up on scores on the uh...what's it called again? oh yeah the ScoreBoard... when you went to a game. Oh sure - if there's time they still flash a few scores - but years ago it was scores, stats, schedule, all sports stuff. Now - it's FU Pay Me.

Completely agree. Good call.

But then, you're talking to someone still annoyed with the logos on the ice (and the boards, for that matter). I'm kind of shocked they haven't painted logos on the goal posts.

I'm with you. Keep or sweep the ice girls. Either way they're not as offensive as what you describe.

I just like the hockey.

("and now, the Remington Shootout! ")

I bet the ice girls would've been missed just as much had they never showed cleavage or worn short shorts. I think we would've heard the same boos, seen the same outcry to bring them back

Have you READ the rest of this thread?

• 3 months later...

Archived