I would move Couturier to Center between G and Jake

Mario99

So you would give your top line the bulk of defensive zone starts? That seems counterproductive, especially since Couturier isn't a plus draw player (yet). I'm not opposed to the 2a/2b line of thinking, but at some point you need a strong defensive forward line that's not also supposed to be your top line, especially given the state of the defense.

In the end, I think this may be the best idea to round out Couturier's game, but not necessarily so from a competitive standpoint for the season as a whole. I think this works out better if you can move VLC and slot in Laughton or move Bellemare up and turn the third into a more traditional checking line. Heck, even just sliding Umberger over and going Akeson - Umberger - Raffl.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 is big and smart and will be able to possess the puck and deal to two guys with good shots...

seems like a lot to ask, coming off 2 years as a shutdown guy with 1/2 the world on his shoulders - and getting it done - now it's, "here ya go kid here's the other 1/2 go score goals L.A.M.F."

A big challenge is probably the very best thing for him and I figure the Flyers' coaches are doing right  by him - asking for more offense but not making him into "the man" overnight.

(btw - to the folks who liked my 1% comment - I think I out-Ruxed Rux on that one :)

[edit: bonus points if you can name the artist/album in this comment - without googlehelp!]

@canoli

(btw - to the folks who liked my 1% comment - I think I out-Ruxed Rux on that one :)

Funny. I was thinking I should take notes from you on smarm. You definitely out-ruxed me on that one. I laughed and literally applauded when I read it.

Put Bellemare with Giroux and Jake he can generate some offense with his speed with those 2

Another nice idea, that would make for a very creative line. I'm *pretty* sure that Simmonds will be doing Hartnells old job last year, standing in front of the net on the top pp....but every once and a while I would LOVE to see Cooter doing that job on the top pp....he would be great at it...and his frame and reach would really come in handy corralling lose pucks and tipping attempts.

Another nice idea, that would make for a very creative line. I'm *pretty* sure that Simmonds will be doing Hartnells old job last year, standing in front of the net on the top pp....but every once and a while I would LOVE to see Cooter doing that job on the top pp....he would be great at it...and his frame and reach would really come in handy corralling lose pucks and tipping attempts.

Brayden just doesn't have it he needs to be at center, 1st line is over his head, Bellemare has speed, will play defense and will develop some nice chemistry with G if Berube lets him.

I had not thought of that option...I could actually see that working out and killing a few birds with one stone kinda thing. You get the increased offensive role out of Cooter, and the added bonus of Coot's vision...that combined with G and V would be wicked. Cooter instantly becomes a 65-70 pt guy playing with G all year. Don't know how the rest of the team would shake up, but gives you a LOT more flexibility moving forward.

it makes sense, because cooter is bigger and gives more skating room for g and v, i mean why not?

I would prefer putting Simmonds with Giroux and Jake. Maybe even Rinaldo. They just need a fighter that's tough.

My lines....

78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds

10 Brayden Schenn  - 40 Vincent Lecavalier - 18 R.J. Umberger

41  Blair Jones  - 12 Michael Raffl - 42 Jason Akeson

47 Andrew MacDonald - 55  Nick Schultz

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit

15 Michael Del Zotto - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason

[29 Ray Emery]

@OccamsRazor

I like your lines. I'm good with that.

I really kind of want MacDonald with Schenn but it does strange things to the other two pairs and I guess puts Schenn on the top pair.. which would be bad so...

Yeah, I guess.

Yeah really not a lot you can do with the blueline....just really a misfit bunch i tell ya.

What i would do with the Phantom callups after trading the junk.

Ghost/Coburn

Streit/Alt

McDud/Schenn

Schultz

trade off GrossamanN and MDZ

@OccamsRazor

I don't actually have much hope for Alt other than a call-up occasional fill-in.  Maybe a 3rd pair.   And I would really resist Ghost as any kind of regular player this season.  He really needs to add 15-20 pounds.    Let him school the AHLers and work on bulking up over the post season and then you'll have Ghost and Morin and possibly Hagg to start next season.

I get everyone's impatience because none of us are getting any younger and this season is simply going to suck.  But I figure if HockeyJunkie can be a Sabres fan and still leave the house periodically (after the Lumina warms up), I can wait this out too.

I get everyone's impatience because none of us are getting any younger and this season is simply going to suck.

See thats it, it's not impatience they are playing like i thought they would. I would like more speed and skill in the lineup.

Alt is a damn good skater and has good size as well at 6-4 205 23 years old and another right hand shot so at least bring him up he looked solid defensively in the preseason. Let him take GrossmanN's spot plus he is waiver exempt.

Mcdud/Schultz..................is this really the #1 pair???? Yikes!!!

Streit/Alt

MDZ/Schenn

See thats it, it's not impatience they are playing like i thought they would. I would like more speed and skill in the lineup.

Alt is a damn good skater and has good size as well at 6-4 205 23 years old and another right hand shot so at least bring him up he looked solid defensively in the preseason. Let him take GrossmanN's spot plus he is waiver exempt.

Mcdud/Schultz..................is this really the #1 pair???? Yikes!!!

Streit/Alt

MDZ/Schenn

Oh, I'm not arguing against bringing Alt up.  He's got to be at least as good, if not better, that what we have going on right now.  I'm fine with it.  And he's put in some time in the AHL and is 23 so I don't feel like we're rushing the kid.  DO IT. 

I just don't think he has a very high ceiling is all.

Oh, I'm not arguing against bringing Alt up.  He's got to be at least as good, if not better, that what we have going on right now.  I'm fine with it.  And he's put in some time in the AHL and is 23 so I don't feel like we're rushing the kid.  DO IT. 

I just don't think he has a very high ceiling is all.

Or even Manning or Ollie either i mean i thought that is just what these kids were waiting for a situation just like this....they are over 23 and deserve a cup of coffee just for no other reason that i'm tired of watching the pylon GrossmanN takes dumb penalties and even Schultz underwhelming ass...how are they ever going to sign any good prospects when they never give the kids much playing time. Ollie and Manning are waiver exempt for 30 days after they were sent down to the minors last week Hexy needs to utilize them. Otherwise really no point in having them.

I can't believe MacDud and Schultz are our #1 pair......................i'm going to be sick.

Or even Manning or Ollie either i mean i thought that is just what these kids were waiting for a situation just like this....they are over 23 and deserve a cup of coffee just for no other reason that i'm tired of watching the pylon GrossmanN takes dumb penalties and even Schultz underwhelming ass...how are they ever going to sign any good prospects when they never give the kids much playing time. Ollie and Manning are waiver exempt for 30 days after they were sent down to the minors last week Hexy needs to utilize them. Otherwise really no point in having them.

I can't believe MacDud and Schultz are our #1 pair......................i'm going to be sick.

I'm on board with this idea.  They're the age where you bring'em up and see what they got.   And, honestly, it can't be worse.

@OccamsRazor

I get everyone's impatience because none of us are getting any younger and this season is simply going to suck.  But I figure if HockeyJunkie can be a Sabres fan and still leave the house periodically (after the Lumina warms up) and head to Applebees for some tasty Halibut, I can wait this out too.

There..fixed it for ya. :)

Classic Rux!  :D

Giroux is suck ® pphly  -4 ,his line has been hemmed in the defensive zone Schenn doesn't seem to have one iota of chemistry with Jake and G...

I don't feel as though letting it "play out" will yield any different result.  

So heck yeah, try Bellmare or Raffle or Couturier on that line.  B Schenn hasn't looked bad the two games i've seen him play either, he's been decent he just doesn't have the right game or proper mindset to play with Giroux and Jake.   Brayden has been way better when he was with anyone else

not sure what to make of that.  I do think he's doing the things he can do pretty well and with consistency but he is a line killer with G and Jake.

@OccamsRazor

I don't actually have much hope for Alt other than a call-up occasional fill-in.  Maybe a 3rd pair.   And I would really resist Ghost as any kind of regular player this season.  He really needs to add 15-20 pounds.    Let him school the AHLers and work on bulking up over the post season and then you'll have Ghost and Morin and possibly Hagg to start next season.

I get everyone's impatience because none of us are getting any younger and this season is simply going to suck.  But I figure if HockeyJunkie can be a Sabres fan and still leave the house periodically (after the Lumina warms up), I can wait this out too.

LOL...thanks rux. 

The one good thing I could see with Alt eventually making the Flyers is, sure, he may be a 3rd pairing guy and that may well be his ceiling.....but at least he'll be paid like a 3rd pairing guy...hopefully.

LOL...thanks rux. 

The one good thing I could see with Alt eventually making the Flyers is, sure, he may be a 3rd pairing guy and that may well be his ceiling.....but at least he'll be paid like a 3rd pairing guy...hopefully.

Why develop your own 3rd pairing guys when you can trade your second overall pick for one?

:ph34r:

Archived