No complaints so far

Poconono

I love the picks the Flyers are making.  It really is a complete culture change.  And a welcome one.  The only thing that could make this better would be if they could dump a couple of million bucks worth of contracts.  At least two old-timers need to go.

My only complaint is that I had to see Paul Holmgren on my TV screen! Don't know how a guy that ****ed the organization so bad with his inept management could stand there with his head held high and smile on his face.

My only complaint is that I had to see Paul Holmgren on my TV screen! Don't know how a guy that ****ed the organization so bad with his inept management could stand there with his head held high and smile on his face.

Homer certainly is making Hexy look good!

My only concern so far is in terms of cap clearance.  I had hoped for some kind of bag of pucks clearance sale for the likes of Grossman. I guess we have to wait until free agency...

That said, a great draft on paper....now we have to see how things pan out. 

Peace,

Howie

My only concern so far is in terms of cap clearance.  I had hoped for some kind of bag of pucks clearance sale for the likes of Grossman. I guess we have to wait until free agency...

That said, a great draft on paper....now we have to see how things pan out. 

Peace,

Howie

Howie i'm afraid worst case scenario is they are stuck with Luke and Nick till the trade deadline.......then Hexy may just give them away if not before.

In addition to picking value, the picks seem to say the Flyers value speed, leadership and compete level. No complaints from me.

Howie i'm afraid worst case scenario is they are stuck with Luke and Nick till the trade deadline.......then Hexy may just give them away if not before.

Well, now I have to correct myself--the Hockey Gods have smiled upon us and Nik the Not so Quick is in the desert.  I never thought hockey GMs would emulate Wall Street and get into financial engineering but this deal is something.  I had to laugh when reading that Chris Pronger waived his no-trade clause to be moved.  HaHah.

Howie

Fantastic draft by Hextall and company. A potential top pairing defender, a potential top six right winger, three goalies with tremendous, and some bottom six forwards with size and skill. Fantastic haul. They came in with a plan, executed and are really restocking the pipeline. That's what the draft should be for and Hextall delivered.

Some quotes from McKeens' article

All in all a very successful draft for the Flyers, who received a McKeen’s draft grade of ‘A’, landing seven top 120 picks, and replenishing depth at center, wing and in goal.

“We all had so many guys left on our list at the end,” said Hearty.  ”You needed nine or ten rounds this year, there were so many guys.”

“We had Vorobyov really high,” said Hearty.  ”We had quite a distance with no picks from 24 to 70…we had to take a goalie in the third (two actually) …and Vorobyov just kept falling for whatever reason.  We got to the 90′s, and we got a deal where we could move back to 98 and get another pick, so we took (Samuel) Dove-McFalls, just because we thought the Russian factor might still come into effect, and (Vorobyov) was still there when we picked (at 104).”

A 6-2 center from Ufa, Vorobyov was effective in U-18 competitions for Russia this season, earning accolades for his heady defensive play. 

“He needs half a step, which is just strength,” said Hearty. “He’s a two-way center with size. He’s big and he’s skilled. I look at him, and I don’t see a huge, huge difference between him and (Joel Eriksson) Ek. 

6' 2" Ek was drafted at #20 by the Wild known as a hard working 2 way center.

the only issues i have with hextall's drafting last year was sanheim because of his size, i mean he's good in junors but he has to prove in ahl and nhl, im just concerned because of his size, if he was smaller like timms or keith then i wouldnt have a problem with the pick, that's the only thing that bothers me, so far he's done a good job.

the only issues i have with hextall's drafting last year was sanheim because of his size, i mean he's good in juniors but he has to prove in ahl and nhl, im just concerned because of his size, if he was smaller like timms or keith then i wouldnt have a problem with the pick, that's the only thing that bothers me, so far he's done a good job.

Let me get this straight... Your concern is that we drafted a 6 ft 3 dman rather than one at 5 ft 11????

@briere48

You know what I hate about Sanheim? I hate his skating...it's too good. I wish he skated like Pronger.

Pronger was an amazing skater. he may not have been fast, but his stride and balance made up for it

the only issues i have with hextall's drafting last year was sanheim because of his size, i mean he's good in junors but he has to prove in ahl and nhl, im just concerned because of his size, if he was smaller like timms or keith then i wouldnt have a problem with the pick, that's the only thing that bothers me, so far he's done a good job.

I don't think I've understood any post you've made on this board....

The Flyers also think they hit paydirt with the selection of Ottawa 67′s forward Travis Konecny 24th overall, a player ranked 14th on McKeen’s final draft rankings.

“We had him like 11th, so we were really excited when Hexy (Flyers’ GM Ron Hextall) said we could move up,” said Hearty. “Toronto wanted to move down, and we made the deal.”

The Flyers once again thought about staying put, but this time they weren’t as certain the player they coveted would be there. “We were at 29,” said Hearty. “We debated waiting to see if Konecny or Nick Merkley were there, but I think we felt as a group that Konecny had the better upside even though we loved Merkley. Konecny has more upside; he’s a quicker skater, they’re both character guys.”

Hearty has since learned that Konecny would not have made it past pick 25…or 26 for that matter as Montreal would have taken him.

“Winnipeg was taking him next (at 25). I’m surprised that Toronto didn’t take him, the connection is there, he’s from London, as is Mark Hunter. I’m sure they debated that. For whatever reason they didn’t take him…He’s just such a great asset though. He’s got the most upside of any of those smaller guys. Who knows what he is…I hear Pat Verbeek (from some), maybe he’s (Zach) Parise….maybe he’s one of those (type of) guys.”

So lets pretend the Flyers do not move up and Konecny gets drafted by either Winnipeg or Montreal.  Looks like Flyers draft Nick Merkley.  Would you be ok with that pick?

Thoughts?

Totally agree.

I had to laugh when reading that Chris Pronger waived his no-trade clause to be moved. HaHah.

LOL You and me both! Really "ballsy" of him wasn't it? To take a chance on a club that's struggled to survive out thar in the desert?

To the OP's point - I wholeheartedly agree this has been a great start to FA, coming off an even better draft. Hextall has hit most if not all the needs already and nobody says he's done yet. Who knows maybe one of the teams that need to meet the salary floor will take MacDonald or ...dare I dream?... VLC off our hands. Addition by subtraction has a nice ring to it.

Even if the roster stays the way it is now Flyers' fans have a lot to be excited about come September. I can't wait to hear the reports from camp.

That is the craziest comment i have read on here in awhile.........i'm speechless...

Archived