Voracek Signed

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just hope it doesn't turn out like that deal in a year or so.........

Voracek is infinitely better than MacDud™. Infinitely. It's not even possible to see MacDud from where Jake is. If Jake is the bright center of the universe, MacDud is the point furthest from it.

:hocky:

. If Jake is the bright center of the universe, MacDud is the point furthest from it.

So, you are saying MacDonald's new nickname should be Pluto?

Just think of the similarities, Pluto was stripped of planet status, and Mac is stripped of the puck on a nightly basis.....LOL!

Why he heff to be lost in humangous universe?

Billions and billions of stars... And an ice cold rock that was too highly rated by people years ago.

It's perfect for MacPluto.

No GM should consider what X player would make on the open market when signing him to a contract. The player is welcome to use it as a bargaining tool, but in the end, the GM should know what he absolutely believes a player is worth, and shouldn't stray from that number. It's true we could see signs of this coming from Jake for a few years. Heck, there were folks who watched him in Columbus who predicted he would get to where he was last season. I just hope he can stay there, and as I said, I think he just took some responsibility on himself to prove he can elevate other players' games.

I posted this in the Luke Schenn thread, and I think it holds true here: More and more, I think we're seeing that UFA is not the goldmine for players that it used to be. Sure, players will still get very good contracts from time to time, but in general, it seems that teams are paying that premium to their own players before they can hit free agency. Look at the contracts signed by unrestricted free agents this year. They tended to be low in either years or money, with the notable exception of the Sekera deal. Belesky, for example, was projected to get 5+ on the market, and got 3.8. Then look at the deals Kesler and Voracek signed, for example. The deals are almost reversed from how it would have gone just a few years ago, when players signing early almost always ended up with lower-money deals. With how many more teams have historically gotten burned in free agency than have made out well (in regards to big signings - I think FA is the perfect place to find those complementary players you need to fill niches on a roster), I think this trend will continue.

@AJgoal

when was the last time a super star hit the open market ? Parise and Suter right ?

they got a **** pile of money when they hit the market. A. ****. Pile.

the reason there haven't been super mega contracts signed in free agency since then is, the really good players don't hit the market.  it's the decent journeyman player that is not breaking the bank in free agency .  Belesky is a good player, he's not a top 5 in the league scoring player.  Those guys, the elite skill guys would still command huge $ if they were to hit the market. 

his agent was able to dictate the years and the length. Cave or he goes elsewhere. 

Timing was crucial, and it favored Jake, but not where this organization is for the next several seasons. What's wrong with saying Elsewhere? This org has been very good at identifying young forwards you'd think they would be able to achieve value in a trade.  

Is it too late to trade Jake and Couts for Carter and save 7mm, cuz that trade is getting expensive, and it still feels like we are several seasons away from consistent Cup contention. 

Belesky is a good player, he's not a top 5 in the league scoring player.

Belesky scored 20 goals once and has never sniffed 50 points, much less played a full NHL season.

If he was expecting $5+M then not only would Michael Raffl's agent like to have a talk with him, but we may as well go ahead and get the next lockout started now.

Honestly, he's Ville Leino waiting to happen - a guy who had a big playoffs in a contract year and parlayed that into a long term contract. (perhaps a bit of an overstatement)

Those guys, the elite skill guys would still command huge $ if they were to hit the market.

It's the threat of them hitting that market that gets teams to pay a premium to keep "their guys." But how often does it "work" - and by "work" meaning win Championship(s)?

It'll be interesting to see, for example, if OV/Backstrom gets it done in WAS. Or if Malkin/Crosby or Toews/Kane win again. Or if the Sedins... well, OK, never mind about the Sedins...

I'm not so sure the "superstar" points guys are as necessary as having depth throughout the team - a second and third line that can contribute goals effectively. As I've said a couple of times already, since the (*cough* first *cough*) lockout only one Ross or Richard winner has won the Cup in the season they won the trophy - Malkin.

One in 20 isn't a great record.

Moreover, last season Stamkos/Johnson were tied at 14th in the league with 72 points (and lost). Toews (who won) was 23rd - Chicago's top point scorer with 66. The top point scorer in the league (along with #7) didn't even make the playoffs. Neither did #5. Four other guys in the Top 10 didn't even make it out of the first round. That leaves Backstrom, Hudler and Ovechkin, who lost in the second round.

#s 11, 12, 16 and 17 didn't make the playoffs. 13 & 18 didn't get past the first round.

That's seven guys in the top 20 who were on the outside looking in and six more that didn't get out of the first round. And while two guys in the Top 20 made the Final, nobody in the top 22 won the Cup. #19 & 20 made Conference Finals.

The year before, Kopitar won the Cup as the #17 overall scorer. St. Louis was #22 and the top for the Rangers (who lost in the Final).

I like watching guys who put up big points and are top ten in the league, but I like watching my team in the playoffs and Cup Finals more.

im sorry but hextall is no different than homer.

feel free to disagree with me, but just because you overpay players doesnt mean you are going to win a cup. homer did the same thing it backfired on him, it could backfire on hextall.

Hextall is no different than Homer? Umm, ok.

Voracek is the 10th highest scoring player in the NHL over the last 3 years. He just signed the 10th highest contract in the NHL. That sounds like fair value to me. I wished he'd signed cheaper...and I wished the term was shorter. But the reality is he was paid the going rate.

The facts are the same thing was said about VLC and AMac.    I don't think anyone was saying they were going to get the deals they got...I remember hearing that Holmgren outbit himself on both deals.

Giroux, for example, had his best points year in 11-12 - three seasons ago - and hasn't hit 90 since (even playing with emerging superstar Jake Voracek).

That was when Jagr was on the top line...I think if they can fill that third spot on the top line with someone better than Raffl, G and V with both be better off.

Voracek is the 10th highest scoring player in the NHL over the last 3 years. He just signed the 10th highest contract in the NHL. That sounds like fair value to me. I wished he'd signed cheaper...and I wished the term was shorter. But the reality is he was paid the going rate.

Hold on one minute.... FC don go full retard on me!

im sorry but hextall is no different than homer.

And this is no different than, "duh, tell me 'bout dem wabbits, George."

Got to hand it to you, you're good for comic relief (and a tegretol overdose).

So, you are saying MacDonald's new nickname should be Pluto?

Just think of the similarities, Pluto was stripped of planet status, and Mac is stripped of the puck on a nightly basis.....LOL!

Technically, for at least 1/2 of Pluto's 248 year orbit, it would be closer to the center of said universe, than us...

Just sayin....

Sorry, I'm a Dick ;)

Hopefully Voracek takes pride in it and continues to excel and refine his game.

One of the positives in this deal is that Jake is no where near a finished prodcut. He will (hopefully) evolve and bring a better all round game. As talented as Jake is, there is a good chance we have only seen about 80% of what he is really capable of. He has elite vision and hockey sense, so evolving for him, should be easier than somebody without those gifts. I believe he has a strong work ethic and I do think he will take pride in his chosen profession and use his off season as an opportunity to become even more elite.

When discussing pure point production, the sooner the Flyers find *the* 3rd wheel (or as others put it, G and V's Renberg...lol) the better.Hopefullly the Raffle scenario is over and done with. They need somebody with similiar vision. When you look at the roster for a potential 3rd addition to the top line, Gagner seems to be the best fit at least on paper. The only problem I could forsee with that scenario is that Gagner would have trouble keeping up with G and V on a lot of rushes. Gagner is not snail like, but he is not a speed burner by any stretch of the imagination either. If Sam can average 45-50ish totals with less than stellar linemates, a 65-70ish year with G and V would not be a wild prediction. Seems like this is something that should be tried out in camp, see if they do indeed mesh as a line.

One of the positives in this deal is that Jake is no where near a finished prodcut.

I sure hope not. In comparison Giroux had his best season in 2011-12...28 goals 65 assists......he actually had 20 points less this past season with the Great Jake...so yeah i sure hope we haven't seen the best from these two...for 16+ mill per season....

Voracek is the 10th highest scoring player in the NHL over the last 3 years. He just signed the 10th highest contract in the NHL. That sounds like fair value to me. I wished he'd signed cheaper...and I wished the term was shorter. But the reality is he was paid the going rate.

What is this logic stuff you're putting up here? There will be NO logic allowed going forward......:)

A good look at the impeding future with the new contracts.....

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/8/1/9078973/sean-couturier-jakub-voracek-ron-hextall-flyers-salary-cap

As it currently stands, the Flyers have $61.083 million committed to the 2016-2017 roster. That number includes nine forwards, four defenseman, and both goaltenders. Which means there's a need for four forwards and three defenseman.

This year's salary cap is set at $71.4 million, so even if that remained the same, that would leave the Flyers with $10.317 million to spend on those seven open roster spots (which hopefully include key free-agents Brayden Schenn and Raffl).

This past year, the ceiling grew by 3.47 percent, a particularly small increase primarily due to the weakness of the Canadian dollar. To be conservative, let's assume that the ceiling increases by the same low rate.

So if we make that assumption, that would conservatively project next year's salary cap at $73.9 million. That bumps the available space to roughly $12.817 million.

There are two key questions that need to be answered with respect to next year's salary cap which greatly impact how troublesome next offseason could be.

What will it cost to re-sign Brayden Schenn and Michael Raffl?

More on the link to think about.......................

One of the positives in this deal is that Jake is no where near a finished prodcut. He will (hopefully) evolve and bring a better all round game. As talented as Jake is, there is a good chance we have only seen about 80% of what he is really capable of.

I think you're right. He's just so damn strong on the puck, and that's a skill that can withstand age. Just look at Jagr, Datsyuk, Zetterberg. So even if Jake never puts up more points than last year, it's the way he can control the puck, slow down the game, and open up opportunities for his team. He might not always get a direct assist out of it, but the more he refines that skill, the more his line and team can control the puck and make things happen.

Just when I thought Hextall was on the right path he signs this deal.

I don't have a problem with the amount , it's the length that is bothering me.

Eight years is just to long to commit to this amount per season, Five years would have been good but eight is over the top.

Archived