Game #45 - Flyers at Penguins - Jan 21 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pace to the game. Where was this game versus the Leafs. If this team doesn't learn to get up for the lesser teams they could miss the playoffs.

What was the call on White for at the end of the period? The two handed stick check? I don't get it he didn't hit him in the hands and it didn't break the stick?

Refs doing what they can to help an outplayed Penqueen team? I say yes.

15 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

This loss is on Hakstol 

Neuvy should have started the 3rd. Mase is off his game and now he looks to have tweeked a groin...start Neuvy next game they need some wins.

It would be nice if they had one guy who excelled in his own end....they supposedly have one in the AHL but he can't get a call up to save his life....to many offensive Dmen in the lineup...

Just now, pilldoc said:

Pens speed exposes the slowness of Flyers defense

I don't know that is just slowness unless you're speaking on their brain function...they just don't have a Dman who excells at defense Gudas is the closest they have but he should be in the bottom 3 not top pair minutes.

It's hard to watch a team lose after being up 2-0. It's particularly bad for a Flyers team that has only led after the first four times all season.  But....here we go again. ...

1) We didn't get stellar goaltending;

2) Our best defensive forward wasn't playing; and

3) We didn't control mid-ice and had some horrific turnovers and too many penalties.

The 4-3 score was deceptive. We were outplayed after the first period.  

Gagner has speed.  Umby has frustration.  

Howie

We saw two teams last night that have some dead weight.  The difference is that the penguins don't pay their dead weight so they have the money to pay superstar contracts and still be able to grab a "haglin" at will.  

The flyers on the other hand are paying umberger, read, and laughton similar money to hornqvist, hagelin, kunitz money.  Which line would you take?  Not to mention, the pens basically pay their entire defense (besides letang) less than what the flyers are paying to a phantoms defensman.

@icehole

well in your list hornqvist, hagelin, kunitz  i would pay Hagelin and Hornqvist. I think Kunitz represents the Pens dead weight.

Good god is Umberger bad.  It seems as if Hakstol is creating an unnecessary challenge for himself by continuing to dress RJ, almost like "well i got this group of misfit toys all going the same direction, what can i do to make it interesting for me during the games... I know I'll make a hole in my line-up that will keep me on my toes".

Tough to get a true gauge on Laughton's development since he's been dragging RJ around.  

The Flyers looked bad for the middle 30 minutes of that game, The Pens I think are starting to "come around" too though.  They displayed the kind of speed and offense I was expecting from them at the beginning of the year.  They need to get their asses in gear, the way the team is constructed this is it for a little while.  If they don't win with this group, it will be a long time until they can build their team again. I don't see them flipping guys with those contracts to be able to rebuild without some wandering through the desert.  

6 hours ago, icehole said:

The flyers on the other hand are paying umberger, read, and laughton similar money to hornqvist, hagelin, kunitz money.  

No, they really are not.

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, they really are not.

well...they really are.  in terms of cap hit, anyway.  Umberger, Laughton and Read are a $9.301mil cap hit, Kunitz, Hornqvist and Hagelin total $9.928mil.

in terms of actual salary, the pens are paying those three way more than the flyers are paying theirs.  $13.25mil versus $9.333mil.  obviously hagelin's salary and cap hit are divided between PIT and ANH this season, though.

1 minute ago, aziz said:

well...they really are.  in terms of cap hit, anyway.  Umberger, Laughton and Read are a $9.301mil cap hit, Kunitz, Hornqvist and Hagelin total $9.928mil.

in terms of actual salary, the pens are paying those three way more than the flyers are paying theirs.  $13.25mil versus $9.333mil.  obviously hagelin's salary and cap hit are divided between PIT and ANH this season, though.

Kunitz: $3.85M
Hagelin: $4M
Hornqvist: $4.25M

My math isn't great, but that adds up to $12.1M on my calculator.

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

Kunitz: $3.85M
Hagelin: $4M
Hornqvist: $4.25M

My math isn't great, but that adds up to $12.1M on my calculator.

the pens are only on the hook for $1.828mil for hagelin this season.  

Just now, aziz said:

the pens are only on the hook for $1.828mil for hagelin this season.  

In any event, it's somewhat disingenuous to make a comparison that ignores the overall cap number, don't you think? If one wants to split those hairs, I think at the Very Least one should count in the money the Pens paid to David Perron and Adam Clendenning before the trade, for example, for an honest apples-to-apples comparison.

Their combined cap number this season ($4.571M) is higher than Hagelin's ($4M) so the numbers still work out to be more than the comparison to the Flyer trio mentioned...

Archived