Game #46 - Bruins at Flyers - Jan 25 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-12516-vs-BOS/45/74275

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.24 (28th), Bruins 2.96 (3rd)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.60 (T-15th), Bruins 2.60 (T-15th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 63/67, Bruins 92/83
Power play efficiency: Flyers 17.1% (T-22nd), Bruins 26.0% (2nd)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.4% (25th), Bruins 84.9% (T-5th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.3 (T-11th), Bruins 31.4 (5th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.4 (29th), Bruins 29.3 (13th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.8% (T-18th), Bruins 50.4% (T-9th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 89 Sam Gagner - 10 Brayden Schenn 
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 19 Jordan Weal

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), R.J. Umberger (healthy), Sean Couturier (day-to-day, lower body).

Bruins

21 Loui Eriksson - 46 David Krejci - 88 David Pastrnak
63 Brad Marchand - 37 Patrice Bergeron - 51 Ryan Spooner
39 Matt Beleskey - 41 Joonas Kemppainen - 11 Jimmy Hayes
36 Zac Rinaldo - 25 Max Talbot - 29 Landon Ferraro

33 Zdeno Chara - 62 Zach Trotman
45 Joe Morrow - 44 Dennis Seidenberg
47 Torey Krug - 86 Kevan Miller

40 Tuukka Rask
[50 Jonas Gustavsson]

Scratches:Brett Connolly (healthy), Tyler Randell (healthy), Colin Miller (healthy), Adam McQuaid (IR, concussion), Chris Kelly (IR, broken femur).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, finally get to see Weal play. I'm glad to see Manning back too, though I'm not crazy about sitting Medvedev. I think Medvedev brings more than Schultz on both sides of the ice but I guess it's no big deal. Be nice to sweep the series with a win tonight.

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 89 Sam Gagner - 10 Brayden Schenn 
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 19 Jordan Weal

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), R.J. Umberger (healthy), Sean Couturier (day-to-day, lower body).

The more I look at this lineup, the more the phrase "Island of Misfit Toys" keeps coming to mind.

There are a lot of good pieces, some nice pieces and some run of the mill pieces.

I just wonder if they all really fit together.

I know Couturier's out, but Gagner goes from the AHL to second line center? Michael Raffl is a top six NHL forward? I don't see anything that leads to me believe the bottom six will do a damn thing offensively. I hope to be wrong. But until then, they're really a one line team with flashes of a second.

Even the defense - again some nice pieces and it's great that Schultz got a silver stick and played 1,000 games. Yay. But I look at a Streit-Schultz pairing and think "huh?" And I just don't know what we're expecting to see out of Manning that hasn't already been seen. Perhaps we will learn.

It's a testament to them that they are still in contention for the playoffs. But even with games in hand, they still have to get past five other teams to get in. That's a tall order, especially when you've scored the second-fewest goals in the league (both in total and in GFA) and even if they clean up their games in hand against Pittsburgh and Boston (highlighting the importance of today's game) they're still trailing both of them.

I think they have some real talent and a pretty good foundation to build upon. That said, they need to change up a lot and fill in some glaring holes.

To that end, it will be nice to get a chance to see if Weal is a potential Tyler Ennis, to say nothing of Danny Briere...

I really don't understand sitting Medvedev.  

Although he makes a few mistakes in the back, he's at least fun to watch. 

I'd take him over Manning and Schultz.

Regardless, I've got a lot riding on this game.  All of my coworkers are die-hard bruin's & patriot's fans.  

It's been a fun day.....(patriots haha)

@radoran Misfits is a pretty good characterization, but really I think half of these parts are just here in order to put a professional hockey team on the ice 3 nights a week while the band aid tearing continues, and are not part of any big future plans....it is indeed commendable that they are in the wild card mix. IMO there are at least half a dozen guys Hexy would liquidate for picks and prospects without batting an eye

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Meltzer has Gagner out. Weal in. Hackstol not revealing lines.

Weal at center? I read he could play there, but he's a better wing. If not, who's the 4th center?

I'd really like to try this when everyone is healthy:

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds

Read - Couturier - Schenn (I know the 2nd line has been playing well, but Read at least WAS a better goal scorer than Raffl once upon a time. I'm still holding out hope that he could find it again, especially with the confidence Couturier and Schenn have been showing of late)

Gagner - Laughton - Weal

Raffl - Bellemare - White

RE: Umberger - Meltzer noted a few days ago that Hakstol likes the way Umberger plays:

"one of the most frequently asked questions by fans the last couple weeks has been when recently acquired forward Jordan Weal will get into the lineup, and why veteran R.J. Umberger continues to be in the lineup despite contributing very little offensive output (six assists in 30 games, no goals in his last 48 games dating back to Jan. 27, 2015)...

As for Umberger, the coach has said he likes the structured nature of the 11-season NHL veteran's game.

While Hakstol inevitably chooses his words very carefully to the media and does not expand in detail on hs thoughts, I suspect his reasoning for continually playing Umberger falls along these lines:

* Umberger plays a simple north-south game and does not take a lot of chances with the puck when he has it. The coach is not particularly looking for offense out of the 11th or 12th forwards on his ice time depth chart. The role Umberger is asked to play at this stage of his career is a thankless and difficult one because ice time is limited. Weal, while he showed himself to be defensively responsible at the AHL level, is more of an offensive-minded player than Umberger is at this stage of his career. Perhaps Hakstol sees Weal's fit as one of playing with skill players, although one could also argue that Scott Laughton has shown flashes of NHL skill and speed and Matt Read has actually come around offensively since his one-game healthy scratching."

"One of the most frequently asked questions..." I knew Meltzer was a member here, but didn't think he ever really logged in. Maybe I was wrong?

1 minute ago, intheslot said:

Who thinks Bradford will sign here any way ???

I don't ..... Chanchez is your starter ...

I think this might have been posted in the wrong thread.........or have you been dipping into flyerfan4ever's morphine stash....

3 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

losing streak coming up 

Sorry but they are already in the midst of it...down 2-0 because they can't stay out the box.

If they can't defend better than this they better quit with the brainless penalties.

Still can't figure out why they wouldn't try a more well rounded Dman out like Alt on this turrible turrible blueline...no way he could be worse in his own end than the likes of Streit, Schultz and Manning...who knows he may actually be able to help.

Oh yeah with Alt...the dude is 24 so it's safe to say he isn't being rushed...just given no respect is what i say.

Sad this team could use some able body Dmen besides the collection of pylons they have (excluding Ghost, Gudas, MDV and MDZ).

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but they are already in the midst of it...down 2-0 because they can't stay out the box.

If they can't defend better than this they better quit with the brainless penalties.

Still can't figure out why they wouldn't try a more well rounded Dman out like Alt on this turrible turrible blueline...no way he could be worse in his own end than the likes of Streit, Schultz and Manning...who knows he may actually be able to help.

well, technically a streak doesn't start until 3 so.... :)

11 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

well, technically a streak doesn't start until 3 so.... :)

I will pass on the 3-peat..... Well they tried leading games and winning them so lets try a different tactic........

What a bonehead play there by Streit why take that penalty let the goaltender play the shooter friggin moron...the more this guy plays he more i think they are stuck with this bum...for another year no less.

Greetings:

Weal has wheels.  He also has good vision.  I would rather see him than Umby.  That said I find myself snoozing.  The two PP goals in the opening period show their weaknesses in terms of speed and D.  

Howie

Archived