Flyers Re-sign Gudas to Multi-Year Contract

AJgoal

Per MacKenzie: Gudas gets a four-year deal with PHI. AAV is in the range of $3M to $3.5M.

Quite a bit more than I would have thought.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Per MacKenzie: Gudas gets a four-year deal with PHI. AAV is in the range of $3M to $3.5M.

Quite a bit more than I would have thought.

Not to bad when you think how many entry level contracts they will have on defence in the next few years.

Gudas (4 yr @ $3.35M) comparables: Despres 5 @ $3.7M Fayne 4 @ $3.625M Smid 4 @ $3.5M Dillon 5 @ $3.27M More: http://www.generalfanager.com/contracts/comparables?contract=4847
7:09 PM - 23 Jun 2016
47 RETWEETS56 LIKES

Replies

Colin McIvor
2h2 hours ago
Colin McIvor @colinmcivor92
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie lol smid
Derek
2h2 hours ago
Derek @D_Sanford19
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie Jeff Finger 4 years @ 3.5M - Leafs (July 1, 2008)
brian
2h2 hours ago
brian @bamoro31
@generalfanager @RearAdBsBlog worse than McQuaid and Miller contract
tmint24
2h2 hours ago
tmint24 @BleedBlackGold1
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie one of these things just doesn't belong here!
Q40Designs
2h2 hours ago
Q40Designs @KylingtonHut
@BleedBlackGold1 @generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie Smid
Bull Shemmy
2h2 hours ago
Bull Shemmy @BullShemmy
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie It is important for the Flyers to keep signing ****** players.
Dave Kowalski
1h1 hour ago
Dave Kowalski @davejoski14
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie congrates philly....you bought an anchor!
tbone
1h1 hour ago
tbone @tbegg9878
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie awesome signing. Gudas is a beast.
Taylor Mah
54m54 minutes ago
Taylor Mah @tmah03
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie is using 2 oiler players from last regime really the best comparison?
Lemieux67
50m50 minutes ago
Lemieux67 @Lemieux67
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie sorry, still a dumb signing
Cortland Mass
33m33 minutes ago
Cortland Mass @corts158
@generalfanager @TSNBobMcKenzie Calgary desperately needs to get rid of Smid. That contract is horrible!

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

You won’t see these kinds of Tweets next time you’re here.
You’ll see m

I don't mind resigning him as I like the player.  However I think he is overpaid.  I would think he should have come in around Nick Schultz money ($2.25M I think) especially with a 4 year contract. 

Signing is front loaded making him very tradeable by the 4th year.  If he continues to be one of the top 4 d-men on the team this will be a great deal by Hexy.  Depending on where and how he plays will determine whether or not he is protected from the expansion draft.   

People are freaking out on Twitter, etc over the Gudas deal.  Probably same people who freaked when Rinaldo got signed to a 2 year deal.--which ended up in a 3rd round pick!  Like ya'all have said...this is a bridge deal until the young pups are ready.  It's not an awful deal and it's moveable if necessary down the road, like HF said.  

He's also a right handed HEAVY shot, which this team has desperately needed for years.  

I like the deal.  He wasn't signing under 3 million the way he played last season.  If he can stay healthy and keep up the level of play he had last year while keeping it clean, $3.3 is a steal. 

I don't like this deal one bit.  In a league trending towards speed and puck movement, we just locked up a pylon with a penchant for taking the bad penalty for the next 4 years with a $3,000,000+ cap hit. This reminds me of the Hatcher signing right after the lock out.

23 minutes ago, KjellShocked said:

I don't like this deal one bit.  In a league trending towards speed and puck movement, we just locked up a pylon with a penchant for taking the bad penalty for the next 4 years with a $3,000,000+ cap hit. This reminds me of the Hatcher signing right after the lock out.

Read this.....http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/3/31/11331642/gudas-actually-good-flyers-playoffs-analysis

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I get the article but AMAC actually was respectable when he came back up!

I agree with the article but still think this is too high and too long for what Gudas brings (and I like him). I see him more of a 4th through 6th type defenseman that can move up when needed.  I do think he proved he can play a solid game but this one is a head-scratcher for me on term and pay.  

With that said I dont see this contract being an issue... Somewhat front-loaded and still not terrible.   I assume if he does not repeat last year he will be left unprotected come the expansion draft too...

Jowdy:

A four year deal seems a bit much...salary high too.  Agree with Puck Daddy this is good or bad depending on how close he comes to replicating last year's performance.  As a top 4, it's reasonable. If we get the old version--a guy who takes dumb penalties....boy, a mistake. 

I guess part of the reasoning is the mix of people we expect on the Blue Line starting next year...he will be the hitter among the smooth skaters who puts the fear of God in opposing players.  

Howie

I like it just fine. Gotta admit it took me a second to remember just how well he played: his big hits resulting in penalties are what I recall first thinking about Gudas. But the fact is he did play well esp as the year progressed, less going for monster hits more controlled aggression. I like the deal, would not have liked to lose him because Hexy wasn't willing to pay more than 2.5 or whatever.

3 hours ago, murraycraven said:

get the article but AMAC actually was respectable when he came back up!

AAAaaaahhhh not really. Read to get a better understanding of what you thought you saw. 

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/6/7/11647136/2015-16-flyers-season-ahl-stint-andrew-macdonald-review

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

Signing is front loaded making him very tradeable by the 4th year.  If he continues to be one of the top 4 d-men on the team this will be a great deal by Hexy.  Depending on where and how he plays will determine whether or not he is protected from the expansion draft.   

I think that is a great structure for a guy who is very serviceable. That deal is very moveable too....no NTC or NMC very good i say.

Just now, murraycraven said:

it was said in jest...

Oh i thought we had lost you.

He is being paid like a top #4 which is where he is slotted so i am ok with it.

By the end of his contract/last year i hope Morin, Sanheim and Hagg have arrived and Myers should be in the AHL. Friedman should be close to either in the AHL or just making the NHL. So his 2.5 mill by then for a 7th Dman will be right in line with today's inflation.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh i thought we had lost you.

He is being paid like a top #4 which is where he is slotted so i am ok with it.

By the end of his contract/last year i hope Morin, Sanheim and Hagg have arrived and Myers should be in the AHL. Friedman should be close to either in the AHL or just making the NHL. So his 2.5 mill by then for a 7th Dman will be right in line with today's inflation.

Sorry, was on my phone and couldnt hit the ninja!!

Archived