Flyers sign Dale Weise...details still coming

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Meh. a fourth year at 2.35 isn't the end of the world. Weise is young too, only 27.

Agreed.  Give us leeway with the likes of Belly, Vandy, Read, White, etc.  none of them will be here in 2 years, so signing this guy for 4 is fine in my book. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me too. I guess Brayden will be the top line LW i guess.

He certainly looked like one at the end of the year.  They were never signing a top line LW today.  Not without a Streit trade which if it happens, can't until tomorrow at the earliest. 

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Why wouldn't he be? He outproduced Lucic and Ladd last year, and both them and Eriksson were too expensive for too long for the Flyers.

Right on!

this is what I'm talking about. What free agent LW's outplayed Schenn last year?  

We've waited patiently for the Schenn train to roll into the station, let's not sleep through it when it arrives!  

30 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Agreed.  Give us leeway with the likes of Belly, Vandy, Read, White, etc.  none of them will be here in 2 years, so signing this guy for 4 is fine in my book. 

King:

I agree this guy is probably an upgrade and with higher future cap (maybe), less of a burden. That said, the length still concerns me even though he is likely to be unprotected next year. This is only day 1. Weise may be part of an emerging puzzle. 

It seems White signed with the Yotes for $1M/1 year. Kind of a head scratcher, no?

i liked White but it seems on paper that Weise is an upgrade to the bottom six. Gordon helps too. What about McDonald? Is he coming back to the org? He really gave the team an energy boost with his physical play in the playoffs. 

I I agree with others that think more moves are coming. Probably clearing out roster players like Read or VV. Even Streit if they can manage. 

Just now, Howie58 said:

King:

I agree this guy is probably an upgrade and with higher future cap (maybe), less of a burden. That said, the length still concerns me even though he is likely to be unprotected next year. This is only day 1. Weise may be part of an emerging puzzle. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about the length. He'll be 32 when the contract expires. Even if the tires fall off and they can't trade him, he can be buried in the AHL with minimal carry over. But guy is a great team player, brings grit without penalties, and will chip in some offense. There's really not a lot to dislike about the deal.

I know folks wanted a LW, but there weren't a ton of fits out there in free agency. Ladd/Eriksson/Lucic/Backes were never going to be targets without busting the budget. The next tier of guys really don't bring much more than Raffl/Laughton do. Bringing in Vanek on a one year, 2.6 million deal does very little for the Flyers - assumedly he's hoping to turn it into a big payday next year.

@brelic: Agreed on the White deal. I'd think he would have gotten that here if he really wanted to stay.

Just a thought...

What are the chances that Weise be slotted on the third line with Cousins and Laughton???

And have a fourth line of Gordon, Bellemare and VV???

Just now, darthbal said:

Just a thought...

What are the chances that Weise be slotted on the third line with Cousins and Laughton???

And have a fourth line of Gordon, Bellemare and VV???

That's kind of how I lean. Though you still have Read, who I'd use before VV.

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

That's kind of how I lean. Though you still have Read, who I'd use before VV.

Never know i could see a package deal of Read and Streit now that is bonus should be paid out his actually salary is only 2 mill. Now what in return??? I couldn't say...

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Never know i could see a package deal of Read and Streit now that is bonus should be paid out his actually salary is only 2 mill. Now what in return??? I couldn't say...

You'd have to give up something else to move those pieces before the season, I would think. I don't know what happened to Read, but his offense has really fallen off a cliff. It's not like his compete level isn't there, but his shot is gone.

11 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You'd have to give up something else to move those pieces before the season, I would think.

Not if you just take picks in return. Those aren't bad contracts to move. At least i don't think so.

And team needing to get to the floor or with space could take those two on.

Yotes and Avs are two off the top of my head who could use both.

5 hours ago, off_the_post said:

Dale Weise has scored 36 goals in his entire career and last year was a career year with 14 of them. Nearly 40% of his career goals came from last season.  I don't see how that justifies a 4 year contract worth almost $10M. But it is the silly season. 

He scored 10 the year before right?  Wouldn't you rather have the guy getting better at 27? 

At first this was a headscratcher for me as well, but on paper think Hexy is making an educated gamble on a relatively young 2 way forward with some backbone who has been improving recently. He may even take Reads slot this upcoming season, which if he outscores Read will make Hexy look like a genius again.

I think signing Dale is a positive move. He can skate, has a lot of grit, makes the team harder to play against, can draw penalties, can score when given the chance. The only downfall is the 4 year thing. I'm a little bummed at that cause it blocks the way for some of the kids coming up....but he is an underrated talent. Even at 27, he may not have peaked offensively, he can basically play anywhere through the line up because of his speed and grit. If he was placed on a top 2 line, he could put in 20 goals and be a plus player.

One other thing I have not seen mentioned....he has played 38 NHL playoff games, made two long runs and has a lot of experience during the 2nd season.....I like this. I'm sure this factored into Hexy's thinking.

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not if you just take picks in return. Those aren't bad contracts to move. At least i don't think so.

And team needing to get to the floor or with space could take those two on.

Yotes and Avs are two off the top of my head who could use both.

This is a good point. They are reasonable deals, so just cause they are Flyers at the moment, does not mean they will play out their deals. I believe if a youngster starts to shine, he could make Dale expendable. For now, I like having Dale on the team....he plays a very "Flyer-like" game.

15 hours ago, AJgoal said:

@brelic: Agreed on the White deal. I'd think he would have gotten that here if he really wanted to stay.

I reached the same conclusion. When he signed a one year deal for a mill, it kinda told me he wanted to leave. It's certainly not to win the Cup, lol...so he must have been displeased with how the Flyers used him. With the depth on the Sabres at center, he's not gonna be more than a 4th liner there also...so kinda odd. Perhaps he did not get along with Hakstol?

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

He scored 10 the year before right?  Wouldn't you rather have the guy getting better at 27? 

Sure except he is 28 next month I believe.  How much better do you think he is going to get? Case in point with Matt Read who is now 30 but a one time 20 goal scorer. I think the signing is fine for the next 2 years assuming he scores 10 to 14 each year on the 3rd line.  After that when he is 30 and 31 still making the same money hopefully he can produce or be a moveable contract perhaps at a trade deadline type deal.  Again I am ok with the signing but don't like the 4 year term. 

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

This is a good point. They are reasonable deals, so just cause they are Flyers at the moment, does not mean they will play out their deals. I believe if a youngster starts to shine, he could make Dale expendable. For now, I like having Dale on the team....he plays a very "Flyer-like" game.

And even if a youngster did start to shine realistically it would make Vandevelde expendable. I could see a kid like Leier doing just that.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And even if a youngster did start to shine realistically it would make Vandevelde expendable. I could see a kid like Leier doing just that.

I think Leier's strong two way game will endear him to Hakstol. If he does not make the team out of camp, he will be one of the first call ups....same for Cousins. I expect them both to play 40+ games next year....somehow, someway. This is a huge camp for Laughton, he could get passed by Cousins if he does not turn it up a few notches.

I like the idea of playing Weise on a line with Cousins and Laughton this upcoming year. His grit, energy and hustle could have a great affect and effect on those two. What worries me though is that Matt Read is still on the team and Michael 'Awful' Raffl is going to be used in a top six role that he simply has no business being in. If you're putting Raffl on a line with Couturier and Voracek, you're wasting 12+ million in talent by having a checker who can't pass and can barely finish on the line. 

On 7/2/2016 at 8:58 AM, off_the_post said:

Sure except he is 28 next month I believe.  How much better do you think he is going to get? Case in point with Matt Read who is now 30 but a one time 20 goal scorer. I think the signing is fine for the next 2 years assuming he scores 10 to 14 each year on the 3rd line.  After that when he is 30 and 31 still making the same money hopefully he can produce or be a moveable contract perhaps at a trade deadline type deal.  Again I am ok with the signing but don't like the 4 year term. 

He can be a finished product and at 10-15/15-20 and that's fine with me. I'm not expecting him to come here and turn into Sergi Federov.

I don't have a problem with the deal at all, this isn't an Andrew MacDonald or Mark Striet type deal.  the money is less, when the term is over he's 32 not 38....viewed in a vacuum the deal is "wha,  why ?" but in terms of having another good 2 way player to take draws, play on the PK, grind the **** out of defensemen so guys with elite talent don't get worn out on the PK , its a rising tide lifting all boats.  I'd rather have G on the half wall dishing to guys who can score and make plays 5 on 5 rather than seeing him busting for 35-40 seconds  on the PK.   Weise and Gordon help with that.

On 7/1/2016 at 6:31 PM, OccamsRazor said:

What team is going to take on that amount of money for mediocre players?

None

On 7/1/2016 at 1:52 PM, darthbal said:

Could they potentially resign White???

And have a 4th line of White/Bellemare/Weise???

That would leave VandeVelde out of the picture....

That works for me.:thumbsu:

The reason White isn't here, is not because he didn't want to play here, he wanted more money and more years to his contract.

Hextall tried to go low on terms and length, but White's agent tried to push for more. Hextall went another direction and White lost out on the contract and had to settle for less money and length. Unfortunately he's no longer here.

Weise is what Hextall wanted in a player: A bigger body, that can skate and has offensive hands. He could of helped us out against Washington in the corners and around the net, had he been here.

If Jake and Coots can score each 10 more goals this year along with everyone else chip in 5 more goals, we'll be in the upper middle of the pack in top scoring teams. Our goals for were a few goals away from being in the mid level slot compared to other teams.

I don't think we have to worry about Boston next year as much, but Jersey I think is gonna be a lot harder to play against. If we can push forward in Hakstol's system early on in the first 10 games and be 7wins 3 loss' , we should have a better chance of making the playoffs and not running out of steam as we get there.

Archived