How much confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office?

pilldoc

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

Interesting article I stumbled upon from The Hockey News.  They ranked each according to the criteria of:

1. Roster Building
  2. Cap Management
  3. Draft / Developing
  4. Trading
  5. Free Agency
  6. Vision

All was done on a scale of 1-10. (1 = zero confidence and 10 = most confident)

Very nicely done. 

Top 5:

1 Tampa Bay

2 Florida

3 Nashville

4 Pittsburgh

5 Washington

Selected Others:

8 San Jose

9 Buffalo

13 Toronto

16 FLYERS

21 Detroit

22 Minnesota

23 Ottawa

Bottom 3:

28 Boston

29 Montreal

30 Vancouver

Flyers:

Roster Building - 16th - 6.48 Confidence Level

Cap Management - 18th - 5.78

Draft / Development - 12th - 7.10

Trading - 18th - 6.07

Free Agency - 17th - 5.44

Vision - 15th - 6.66

Change in confidence over last year = (+) more confident

The Flyers front office might as well be a phoenix. The new regime led by Ron Hextall has risen from the ashes of one of the worst run professional hockey teams over the last few years to become one of the savvier ones. Hextall has made some sneaky good moves making a lot of the roster garbage disappear and has focused a lot more on drafting and developing. They’ve got a solid core group, and have made some very smart decisions of late.

You know, at the risk of starting an HJ spazz moment, I wanna say Buffalo fans should be pretty confident in what their front office is doing.

Thing is, it should be a careful confidence. They have made some good moves, then go and do some things that really make you scratch your head.

They seem to like to take a chance on players that could be lights out, but could just as much have a chance to bring the franchise down...Kane and the recently signed Okposo immediately come to mind.

Still though, they have done well in collecting picks and parlaying those into good draft choices and they seem to be doing the development part of the young players the right way.

What likely keeps them much higher than the given ranked 9th spot is the FA, Vision (at least with established players), and maybe the Cap Mangagement.....otherwise, I think Buffalo fans SHOULD be confident in their front office.

Sheesh....SOMEONE round here may need to go have a cigarette now....  :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Flyers:

Roster Building - 16th - 6.48 Confidence Level

Cap Management - 18th - 5.78

Draft / Development - 12th - 7.10

Trading - 18th - 6.07

Free Agency - 17th - 5.44

Vision - 15th - 6.66

Change in confidence over last year = (+) more confident

The Flyers front office might as well be a phoenix. The new regime led by Ron Hextall has risen from the ashes of one of the worst run professional hockey teams over the last few years to become one of the savvier ones. Hextall has made some sneaky good moves making a lot of the roster garbage disappear and has focused a lot more on drafting and developing. They’ve got a solid core group, and have made some very smart decisions of late.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like in another year or two.......I think we're definitely well on our way up.....thanks for sharing!!!!

39 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Im a fan who despised the hiring of Jim Rutherford.  But after the past year I have to ask...  What the hell was wrong in Carolina??  

Let's face it Rutherford isn't very good at drafting. Carolina wasn't luring top free agents there. And until the last half of last season, Rutherford looked like he was on a fast track out of Pitt. Obviously he made some moves that worked. 

32 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Let's face it Rutherford isn't very good at drafting. Carolina wasn't luring top free agents there. And until the last half of last season, Rutherford looked like he was on a fast track out of Pitt. Obviously he made some moves that worked. 

Google Image results for "Jim Rutherford"

automotivator_blind-squirrel.jpg

:hocky:

He already had the likes of Crosby, Malkin and Letang. He had the top-rated goalie in the AHL in Murray, and a very good farm system. He fell into a very good situation as GM. He added Kessel who was dying to leave Toronto, Bonino and Hagelin...all good moves, but let's wait until we send him to the Hockey Hall of Fame as GM.

Hextall hasn't had much of an ability to do anything yet, thanks to Holmgren's mistakes in player acquisitions, NMCs and mishandling of the cap. There's nowhere to go but up after that era  error. Just the fact that we're not overpaying for a 35 year-old former All-Star is great news. I like the Weise signing, and I didn't and don't expect much from Hexy this season. Next season, way different story...but the patience approach is promising because the other way just didn't work. I truly believe that 2017-18 VERY well could bring Philly its third Stanley Cup. My confidence in Hextall is 7 on the 1 being no confidence and 10 being our GM is God scale.

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Don't ask......

Please don't ask.

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

buuuuuut you have McDavid.

Edmonton was #27 on the list.....

Roster Building - 3.83 (28th)

Cap Management - 4.93 (24th)

Draft / Development - 4.32 (27th)

Trading - 2.37 (28th)

Free Agency - 3.88 (28th)

Vision - 15th - 3.71 (26th)

Overall average = 3.9 (Total Rank = 27)

There are very few words to describe how bad the Taylor Hall trade was, so it’s no surprise the team is the 28th ranked for trading. Actually, it’s a surprise they weren’t ranked lower. What is surprising is that 12.4 percent of people have gained confidence in this management group over the last year. Was it that bad before that the group that traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson is better in comparison?

That about sums it up .......I knew fans were not happy in Edm but I am shocked at the numbers (rankings) ....

I'm surprised to see the Capitals at #5.  

--Yeah they made a few high profile trades, but looking at their prospect pool I'm seeing a lot of "C"s and "D" ratings.  As a team they were ranked #20 for prospect pool, and I see that a number which will drop before it again improves.

I'm also surprised to see Nashville at #3.  

On July 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM, FD19372 said:

He already had the likes of Crosby, Malkin and Letang. He had the top-rated goalie in the AHL in Murray, and a very good farm system. He fell into a very good situation as GM. He added Kessel who was dying to leave Toronto, Bonino and Hagelin...all good moves, but let's wait until we send him to the Hockey Hall of Fame as GM.

ok but wait a minute.  Shero had the same four corner pieces and tried year in year out to find the right guys to finish the puzzle.  You guys pounded him repeatedly for not getting it done, losing often in the first or second rounds.  You can't sit here and say "oh Rutherford had it easy" so shortly after saying they sucked and couldn't get it done.  I'm sorry but you can't have both sides of the coin there.  

As for Rutherford's drafting...  We all know drafting is more about scouts than the GM.  And Carolina was in the higher end of draft choices more often than not.  

I I do agree about the free agent market though.  Nobody that's not named Staal wants to go there. And with Eric gone now I wonder if Jordan wishes he were elsewhere too? 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, fly64 said:

I thought the devils fleeced the  oilers in that deal. A great start for Mr Shero

All are welcome here, even those from Jersey....lol, I kid...nice to have you...and yeah, when you get one of the leagues top 5 LW's for a d-man that has promise but not much else, that is a first rate fleecing. Who knows, maybe it becomes more even as time goes by, but as it stands now, Hall and Henrique are gonna be a great dynamic duo next year...and I'm assuming Palmeri is on that line, but not sure....maybe putting to many eggs in one basket.

• 1 month later...

Archived