Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

7 hours ago, NRH said:

No Hagg?

Good point.  Talk is he may be ready for some NHL minutes before Morin.  

Somehow in my mind they come together with a slash.  Morin/Hagg. 

I do do hope we can get one stay at home vet to shepherd them and even put the pairings until they're ready.  

I also have have a feeling we'll be seeing glimpses of Lindy and Ruby before too long. 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

The thing that always drove the Wings nuts with Filppula is that he is a tremendous shooter, his career shooting pct is 13 percent, the league average is 9 percent and the Capitals lead the league this year overall at 11.2 so obviously he can shoot, he even had an insane year where it was over 19 percent.

He just does not like to shoot, no idea why the man is fantastic with the puck on his stick he just prefers to dish it off rather than finish himself. I always thought he had 25-30 goal talent but he takes games off and when pressured instead of creating he dumps the puck. Year after year he always did the same thing. Still, we signed Stephen Weiss for the same money as Tampa gave to Val because Babcock was tired of him and that turned out to be one of the worst signings ever for any team spending 27 million for a dozen goals scored before paying him to go away. In the long run, the Wings would have been much better off accepting the things that Val can do.

Babs did get frustrated with him, that's for sure, and he wasn't the only one. He tried just about everything from new line mates, to top line responsibility, to lower line responsibility. Never got any consistent result. In the end, it seems Filppula is simply who he is. WHEN he shoots, he is a good shooter...he...just...doesn't except in short spurts.

I don't know if he did it to needle him or when he was frustrated, but Babs never pronounced his last name correctly. "Fillipoola" was how he always referred to Val.

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well when you come out and say there's 50 guys faster than the guy who's generally considered the fastest player EVER in the NHL it kind of makes it sound like you're just making sh ite up. Especially when you get called out for it and can't even name one single player. 

Again, he's considered by almost everyone who watches hockey as the fastest player. It's not some deeply guarded secret that only a handful of hockey nerds who watch tape over and over dissecting each and every game hold near to their heart. 

Konecnys fast. I doubt he's top 15 fast, but even if he's in the 20s or 30s, out of 700 NHL players, thats fast. No matter how negative you feel about him.

Gauge it? You can't even gauge that McDavid has top 50 speed...your gauge sucks. get a new one. 

Let me explain something to you.  I'm 36 years old with a 4 year old.  I have a wife and I work a 9-5.  I wake up a 4:30am to workout before I got to work.  My wife works later so it's just me and my daughter in the evenings.  Long story a little less long, I have other stuff going on in my life.  I don't follow the AHL, ECHL, QCHL, ABCDHL, or even any other teams except for the flyers.  I can't name many other players outside of the conference.  So that's why I can't name one player...because I don't really care.

I have seen McDavid play a handful of games though, and yes, he's fast.  My gut tells me that I've seen faster though.  And like you said, there are 700 players in the NHL.  So to say the fastest skater ever, just so happens to be the center of the league currently, just seems a little too convenient to me, especially when most of us are unaware of half of the 700 players in the league.

If fast to you is a top 30 fatstest guy (I'm not sure konecny is that), then he's fast in your mind.  I don'the think he is...get over it.  I'm also not saying that he won't get faster or he won't be a good player.  I hope you can separate criticism from negativity.  Konecny is one of the only guys on the team I like right now.

47 minutes ago, icehole said:

Let me explain something to you.  I'm 36 years old with a 4 year old.  I have a wife and I work a 9-5.  I wake up a 4:30am to workout before I got to work.  My wife works later so it's just me and my daughter in the evenings.  Long story a little less long, I have other stuff going on in my life.  I don't follow the AHL, ECHL, QCHL, ABCDHL, or even any other teams except for the flyers.  I can't name many other players outside of the conference.  So that's why I can't name one player...because I don't really care.

I have seen McDavid play a handful of games though, and yes, he's fast.  My gut tells me that I've seen faster though.  And like you said, there are 700 players in the NHL.  So to say the fastest skater ever, just so happens to be the center of the league currently, just seems a little too convenient to me, especially when most of us are unaware of half of the 700 players in the league.

If fast to you is a top 30 fatstest guy (I'm not sure konecny is that), then he's fast in your mind.  I don'the think he is...get over it.  I'm also not saying that he won't get faster or he won't be a good player.  I hope you can separate criticism from negativity.  Konecny is one of the only guys on the team I like right now.

Let it go icehole let it go...as Elsa would say...you have a 4 year old little girl so i know you know who that is...

McDavid is the fastest player I've ever seen. And the things he does at that speed are mind boggling.  And this thread is the first time I've heard anyone say differently.  Scouts, other coaches, other players, commentators, fans, everyone.  But I have come to realize that all of those people are wrong because someone who just admitted he watches the Flyers and little else said so. 

I'm glad I was here or I would have foolishly believed literally everyone. 

Without a drop of sarcasm, Konecny comes across faster to me than most Flyers but some of that is because we have some slow pokes on the Flyers. 

I mean, next to Couturier a stop sign is fast. 

I don't know that Konecny is fastest on the team. I do think he's high energy and to speed quickly.  I'll take it. 

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm glad I was here or I would have foolishly believed literally everyone. 

lol - ah that is YOU ... all you. Instant Classic!

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Pavel Bure was the fastest hockey player I ever saw, until the knee injuries caught up with him. Even then, he was still faster than 95% of the league. I don't think there's anyone who was the skater that Bure was in his prime.

Bure really was fast. All that is certainly true. 

I think what makes McDavid incredible is everything he does at full speed. 

I'd love to see a race between Bure (in his prime) and McJesus. I honestly don't know who I'd put money on in a straight up foot race between the two. 

Add obstacles, stick handling sudden changes in direction, etc. I'm betting on McJesus. 

30 minutes ago, canoli said:

r oh no you too with this mcjesus bs? ugh. stupidest hockey nickname ever.

Oh come on now, relax.

ANYONE can have their own version of "jesus" on their team.

For instance, I had Bishop of the Church of Jesus before he got traded on the Bolts.

Zach 'Bluecollar Jesus' Parise on the Wild.  (In baseball, some MN Twins fans refer to Joe Mauer as Baby Jesus :VeryCool: )

With Stammer coming back soon, I can dub him Steven Stamjesus, coming to save the Lightning (or maybe not....lol)

Also, with the season he is having, one can say TB has Nikita Kucherjesus.

And hey, you can have a jesus of your own....

Take yer pick..

Shane GhostOfJesus

Claude MittsOnJesus Giroux

Jakob Vorajesus

Your new alternate captain, Pierre Edward BelleJesus

Andrew McJesus....errr, ok, maybe not THAT one.... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Bure really was fast. All that is certainly true. 

I think what makes McDavid incredible is everything he does at full speed. 

I'd love to see a race between Bure (in his prime) and McJesus. I honestly don't know who I'd put money on in a straight up foot race between the two. 

Add obstacles, stick handling sudden changes in direction, etc. I'm betting on McJesus. 

Same can be said about Bure. Two seasons of sixty goals, three seasons of 50+ goals and over a point per game player in his career (779 points in 702 games). It's too bad that his knees went on him because he was nothing short of brilliant. An absolutely amazing offensive hockey player who had speed like no other. I would kill for a Bure-type player in Philadelphia.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let it go icehole let it go...as Elsa would say...you have a 4 year old little girl so i know you know who that is...

My daughter absolutely loves Elsa and Anna ...... but everyone loves Olaf!

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Oh come on now, relax.

ANYONE can have their own version of "jesus" on their team.

For instance, I had Bishop of the Church of Jesus before he got traded on the Bolts.

Zach 'Bluecollar Jesus' Parise on the Wild.  (In baseball, some MN Twins fans refer to Joe Mauer as Baby Jesus :VeryCool: )

With Stammer coming back soon, I can dub him Steven Stamjesus, coming to save the Lightning (or maybe not....lol)

Also, with the season he is having, one can say TB has Nikita Kucherjesus.

And hey, you can have a jesus of your own....

Take yer pick..

Shane GhostOfJesus

Claude MittsOnJesus Giroux

Jakob Vorajesus

Your new alternate captain, Pierre Edward BelleJesus

Andrew McJesus....errr, ok, maybe not THAT one.... :ph34r:

You forgot Sean JesusChristmoveyourass Couturier 

11 hours ago, icehole said:

Your little girl is far more important than hockey. 

But maybe if you don't want people to respond, stop making sh ite up. Spike mentioned that Athanasiou is pretty fast. BCF mentioned Bure. Those are blazingly fast skaters that are in the conversation. To say there's 50 faster than a guy most regard as fastest is ridiculous and you have to expect some opposition to a comment like that. I mean come on...you can't even come up with one name? 

I hardly made a big deal over Konecny. I merely pointed out he's a lot faster than over 90% of the league...which to me means he's pretty fast.

Sometimes I wonder if you're just trolling on here trying to get a rise...or if you actually do see something completely different than almost anyone else. Most of the Flyer fans on here (me included) think Provorov has been our best defenceman,(I'll guess Flyer management feels the same, since they've played him as our #1)  which is incredible for a teenager. You don't see anything special about him. When you say things like that, people are going to respond.

11 hours ago, canoli said:

oh no you too with this mcjesus bs? ugh. stupidest hockey nickname ever.

I beg to differ...somebody actually called McDud "McDaddy ".

There's also Ryan "J'taime" Miller

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Most of the Flyer fans on here (me included) think Provorov has been our best defenceman,(I'll guess Flyer management feels the same, since they've played him as our #1)  which is incredible for a teenager. You don't see anything special about him. When you say things like that, people are going to respond.

What?

provydefensewsh.gif

I don't see anything great about the guy at all...can't even play in his own end....

:ph34r:

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?

provydefensewsh.gif

I don't see anything great about the guy at all...can't even play in his own end....

:ph34r:

Look at that footwork! Pure grace. 

Provorov's name will be mentioned alongside the elite of the league within three years. Bank on it. The kid just oozes skill and smarts. As I mentioned in other posts, I don't think I've ever seen a 19 year old take on a workload like he has. Just think how much better Provorov would be if he didn't have to carry around an extra 200 pounds of weight on his back.

Archived