Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

Well we all need to be honest with ourselves at least the ones who have followed the Flyers since the Dry Island days...

...we knew this was going to happen once these clowns secured the number one seed.

We knew they would rest on their laurels and think they could just breeze through these smurfs.

But what they under estimated was these smurfs work and no they have to make up for their lack of talent.

And so far they have.

Now all is not lost. It's easy when you're winning.

Now through adversity we will find out what they are made of...

HUkpMwF-_x96.jpg

Niskanen: "We believe in our abilities, and we've got guys who are hungry for success. We had a bit of a blunder today, we'll learn from it quickly, and get excited and get our energy up for the next game. I know we'll play better."

Talk is cheap F**K words, everyone has a mouth.

Show me.

Fix this...

Flyers' top five goal scorers from the regular season — Konecny (24 goals), Kevin Hayes (23), Sean Couturier (22), Claude Giroux (21) and James van Riemsdyk (19) — have combined for nine assists but no goals in the tournament so far.

Flyers' power play is 1 for 19 in the tournament. 

• Like 1

Greetings:

My "fear" is that the Canadiens will have confidence to take us out.  You can argue they've taken four of six periods from us.  Hart stole Game 1.  When your top scorers aren't scoring, and your third D pair is really suspect, the bleep can and will hit the fan.  Yes, I hope they right the ship on Sunday.  

• Like 2

The flyers got taken out back to the wood shed, and got their asses beat. This was an embarrassme t. I think someone referenced them laying back since securing the 1 seed. It certainly looks that way. Montreal is feeling confident and has no problem taking liberties. And why shouldnt they?There isnt a player on the ice they fear. The are outskating, out hitting, and out scoring the flyers

I just hope AV beats their asses worse tham the Habs did 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:
Alain Vigneault was not happy Kirk Muller had his first power play unit out there for a 5-0 game. Vigneault is going to remind his Flyers team of that.

Kirk Muller has always been a classless asshole and hopefully that will be the rally cry for the Flyers.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well we all need to be honest with ourselves at least the ones who have followed the Flyers since the Dry Island days...

...we knew this was going to happen once these clowns secured the number one seed.

We knew they would rest on their laurels and think they could just breeze through these smurfs.

But what they under estimated was these smurfs work and no they have to make up for their lack of talent.

And so far they have.

Now all is not lost. It's easy when you're winning.

Now through adversity we will find out what they are made of...

Well we'll see what they're made of, either they'll come out swinging or cuddle up into a ball and hide in the corner. It's time for a Flyer player to pull a Kreider on Price!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Picked a good day to PVR the game and do something else with my day. Best result in a way: much better than a 2-1 loss in 5OT.

Yep nothing better then an ass kicking to leave a bad taste in your mouth! We'll see what these Flyers have. On the bright side they could easily be down 2 games to 0.

• Like 2

I want to see a fight, and a three goal, 3-0 first period by the Flyers. I could give a damn about the Habs running up the score, the Flyers flat out sucked today. They were completely dominated and played like a JV team.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I want to see a fight, and a three goal, 3-0 first period by the Flyers. I could give a damn about the Habs running up the score, the Flyers flat out sucked today. They were completely dominated and played like a JV team.

I want to see the Flyers win the next 3 games because I hated the habs and their ***** fans!

• Like 2

That was unpleasant. 

I didn't think they were going 16-0, but that was embarrassing to watch. 

I expect we'll see a different compete level Sunday evening. 

This team has usually bounced back pretty well, I don't know why that would change now. 

See if there are adjustments to be made, but really making good passes, being strong on pucks, winning a couple of pucks would go a long way to righting the ship. 

I haven't seen the puck hop over Flyers sticks like that since the Hakstol days, they were trying to play fast when they needed to play strong. 

Bury that game puck. Play a strong road game Saturday. 

• Like 2

if we dont beat montreal do you see major changes coming? in my opinion i do, i understand the great record we had this year, but the main core isnt young either, that could hurt us next year. if they are young stars on the block, i think fletcher really has to take a look on acquiring them because we eventually have to start on a new era.

18 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

if we dont beat montreal do you see major changes coming? in my opinion i do, i understand the great record we had this year, but the main core isnt young either, that could hurt us next year. if they are young stars on the block, i think fletcher really has to take a look on acquiring them because we eventually have to start on a new era.

Too soon.

• Like 2

"Remember" when we used to have to ask.... "which Flyers team will show up".

I hope we're not going back to that "Jeckyle&Hyde" ********!

I can swallow a loss....it's part of competition. Sometimes you loose. To me it's HOW you loose. I'm baffled how a  team can play SO WELL a week ago, and look like utter CRAP the next.

strange.

And just to state the obvious: "Paging Giroux, Voracheck, JVR, and Coutierer! Paging Giroux, Voracheck,....📣."

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Too soon.

Seriously if the don't beat Montreal you want to give this core another year?

So I have to ask what would be your breaking point?

What would it take to make you say "Yeah I've had enough we need to move some of these high priced players while they can still get value for them?

And I am including the Captain in that.

Hell the last time Claude score two goals in the playoffs it was 2013-14...

...he has one measly goal in the last 17 playoff games.

So why may I ask is the criteria to blow the core up????

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So I have to ask what would be your breaking point?

What would it take to make you say "Yeah I've had enough we need to move some of these high priced players while they can still get value for them?

And I am including the Captain in that.

Hell the last time Claude score two goals in the playoffs it was 2013-14...

...he has one measly goal in the last 17 playoff games.

So why may I ask is the criteria to blow the core up????

i agree, we cant pull a phillies and hold on these players too long mentality because it will backfire on us for not getting anything back. not to mention we can shred cap space and use the assets we get back from the old core pieces and trade them to get a few young stud players that are on the trading block and they can be the new core pieces without trying to tank for them. i mean look at vegas golden knights, they used their assets to acquire young stud pieces without tanking and they are playing at a high level because of it.

san jose is example of them of just holding on their players too long and not getting any talented players back accept karlsson and redwings as well. we cant be those teams. we have to retool in the offseason if we get knocked out. this team could go south if they dont.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm saying we haven't lost to Montreal yet. The series is *literally* tied and last I checked you had to win 4 to advance.

Jesus man. Let them lose 3 more games and then we'll chat. Like I want JVR fukcing gone, probably more than anyone here. I hate him so much it's not healthy for my mental state. He better not be in the lineup tonight. If he is then I will have something to say to AV who I genuinely like. 

Oh, and what happened to TTB? Have some faith, have some trust.

Edited by pilldoc
Keep from the name calling

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i agree, we cant pull a phillies and hold on these players too long mentality because it will backfire on us for not getting anything back. not to mention we can shred cap space and use the assets we get back from the old core pieces and trade them to get a few young stud players that are on the trading block and they can be the new core pieces without trying to tank for them. i mean look at vegas golden knights, they used their assets to acquire young stud pieces without tanking and they are playing at a high level because of it.

san jose is example of them of just holding on their players too long and not getting any talented players back accept karlsson and redwings as well. we cant be those teams. we have to retool in the offseason if we get knocked out. this team could go south if they dont.

Tuscon:  I agree that we a first round exit and/or a poor 2nd round performance will raise questions along the lines you've asked. Yes, I think Voracek and Giroux will come under the microscope.  I also wonder about JVR--that may come to be increasingly "MacDonald" like.  

Braun and Ghost will be under the scope as well.  The former is probably not going to be around next year.  Ghost--could really be a sad tale.  That is TBD.  

From a structural/design/drafting standpoint, I worry that we don't get the quickness some of the MTL players seem to exhibit.  But that is a topic for another day.

But to answer your question--yes, I think a first round exit...or a lousy 2nd--will raise questions.  I also believe younger teams and players may be more adaptable to the routine changes being forced this year and next....don't forget, next year's schedule will have, as I understand it, more back-to-backs and and no bye weeks.   I'd also add that we can't invoke goaltending as an excuse...nor coaching.  I think those two levers are cool.  

Peace, and welcome to the board.

Howie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I'm saying we haven't lost to Montreal yet.

That's not what I asked you, answer the question i asked if they lose this series.

Edited by pilldoc
Keep the personal attacks/name calling out.
  • Like 1