Game 41: Flyers vs. Sabres 04/11/2021 2:00 pm

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I like Farabee a lot, but if you can get a stud d man in a package with him, later Joel.

Outside of Ghost, Farabee is the only creative player on the team.  It would have to be a hell of a return for me to say yes. 

• Like 4

Today should be the last game #28 plays as a Flyer. Its time to cut the head off the snake. If he won't agree to move send him home. Its time to burn down the country club and make the players accountable for this disgusting effort of a season. There are no excuses. But alas, same 20 poofsters will be in the lineup Tuesday night.

We bore witness to what might be the worst loss in this franchise's recent history.  Even the broadcasters couldn't sugar coat it.  Coots and 28 were on the point of our sleepwalk effort.

I do not think AV is the problem.  Years of bad drafting and poor trades have a lot to do with what we are.  We were supposed to have drafted an elite D-corps, right?  Farabee might be as close to a Carter or Leach we've had in ages but others in the stable--not sure. 

G and V are not the rainmakers we have needed.  They are above-average, but not Barkovs or Barzals.  G's contract ends next year--that isn't the same for Voracek. 

As for goal--we have a question mark that wasn't supposed to be.  

It makes me sad.  

If only we could play Philly every game.  Ha.  So let me know if you are having the  contest this year?  I have my pics.

Sanifan.  Calling the Sabres an AHL team might be a big strong.  They have been better since Krueger was fired, a huge mistake of a hire.  And not having Eichel in is huge.  They are not the same team without Jack Eichel. I wonder if he is really injured?  Or if they are just keeping out until next year?

Edited by Hockey Junkie

27 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

If only we could play Philly every game.  Ha.  So let me know if you are having the  contest this year?  I have my pics.

Touche'. We deserve that!

27 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Sanifan.  Calling the Sabres an AHL team might be a big strong.  They have been better since Krueger was fired, a huge mistake of a hire.  And not having Eichel in is huge.  They are not the same team without Jack Eichel. I wonder if he is really injured?  Or if they are just keeping out until next year?

They aren't the same team without him. They're actually trying. He'd fit right in with the asshats on the Flyers. Overpaid and underperforming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Touche'. We deserve that!

They aren't the same team without him. They're actually trying. He'd fit right in with the asshats on the Flyers. Overpaid and underperforming.

Eichel is a tremendous talent regardless of all the crap going on.  With the right coach this team  can turn it around fast.  the biggest problem in Buffalo, is the goaltending.  Ullmark is ok but was out and that killed our chances.  Toharski has really played well.  God help Arizona, I believe that is where Johansson landed?  Unsure.   Hutton is a joke.  An AHL career awaits him.  His contract was like Chris Davis  of my Orioles.  But Davis was once very good.  37 HRs. Then he took the money and milked us. I would never let Eichel go.  To hell with him if he asks for a trade.  Gee, I wonder if Watson is going to be traded now down in Houston?  That QB.  You know.  With more lawsuits than Cuomo.  Women coming out of the woodwork

I wake up and find out that wasn't a nightmare...it was real.

The Buffalo Sabres.

The bottom of the barrel is where they are.

What more do you need to blow this team up?

And Jeff Carter is a Penguin.

Yuck.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wake up and find out that wasn't a nightmare...it was real.

The Buffalo Sabres.

The bottom of the barrel is where they are.

What more do you need to blow this team up?

And Jeff Carter is a Penguin.

Yuck.

no offense to the fans that do want a major rebuild but after looking at twitter and other forums, i have never seen a fanbase this toxic to the coaches and defend the players like they are superstars. i almost feel like this fanbase has lost their winning mentality after the last cup lost and just start cuddling to their players and not care how bad they play.

because for alot of fans that do still live in reality of winning mentality this is absolutely the worst leadership i have ever seen in this flyers era.  the richards and carter era was so much better than this, at least they got to 3 championship rounds and 1 cup run. 

the jake and giroux era we couldnt even get pass the first round like how's that better than the last eras?

• Good Post 2

54 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i have never seen a fanbase this toxic to the coaches and defend the players like they are superstars

For "blame" it used to be odd year - coach, even year - goalie. The skaters never got the blame.

Now, it's pretty much "coach".

The idea that the players simply can't get it done doesn't occur to them. Every Flyer is above average until they leave the team, at which point they were never any good in the first place and we're glad they're gone.

And they wonder where the "Stepford" term came from...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Every Flyer is above average until they leave the team, at which point they were never any good in the first place and we're glad they're gone

Totallly agree....with one exception. When Luca Sbisa was gone, the forum went bat **** crazy that that move would haunt us

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Totallly agree....with one exception. When Luca Sbisa was gone, the forum went bat **** crazy that that move would haunt us

Well, in the end that move did haunt them... Just not necessarily because of Sbisa...

Sbisa was also a first rounder and "only" got half a season with the Flyers so he was "never given a chance."

So that was the "problem" - not that they didn't take Carlson...

• Like 2

I kid you not, this is part of an email from the Flyers' ticketing folks

As the Flyers are on the ice and fans are back at Wells Fargo Center, it's an exciting time to be a Flyers fan. As we look to wrap up the remainder of this season, we’re "shifting" our attention to next season for our fans.

The day after one of the most humiliating losses in the history of the franchise it's "an exciting time to be a Flyers fan."

I'm guessing "shifting" is a "clever" reference to shifts on the ice?

They also offer me the chance to "meet the team".

I'm not quite so sure they really want that to happen...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

the jake and giroux era we couldnt even get pass the first round like how's that better than the last eras?

I don't know of any person saying this. "this group is better than Richards/ Carter"

Not one.

Also, Wayne Gretzky wasn't leading a team with Brandon Manning, Andrew MacDonald,Matt Read, Dale Weisse, Jordan Weal and Jori Lehtera all playing significant minutes past the 1st round either.

So sure, those two (G and V) have their shortcomings. 

I think the leadership angle is a lazy criticism and largely not accurate, mostly because there have been enough players going through the locker room someone would have said something about it by now. It's not like there's an "omerta" surrounding team chemistry.

It's not like "trying harder" was going to get the teams of the last 10 years any further.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

but after looking at twitter and other forums,

I avoid Twitter and other social media platforms as most of those “fans” don’t have a clue. 

Time to gut this team like a fish....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the leadership angle is a lazy criticism and largely not accurate, mostly because there have been enough players going through the locker room someone would have said something about it by now.

I get your point about the cavalcade of players.

On the broadcast yesterday - prior to the meltdown - JJ was effusive about how the coaching staff thought Giroux was "leading by example" over the last month.

The worst month of hockey in contemporary memory. Just before the worst meltdown and humiliating loss.

That was the endorsement.

It's not that he's a "bad" leader, it's that he's shown to not have been a particularly good one.

Not his fault - he's been terribly miscast by the organization* and it has not served him well. Had Pronger stuck around a few more years and let G be the playmaking wing he was drafted as and given the opportunity to see how to lead a team things may have been different.

Then the "smartest guys in the room" decided he was a first line center who should wear the C.

I mainly say that his "leading by example" is because he doesn't know any other way to do it - having never been in the position before. OTJ training in the NHL tends to be unforgiving. And it has been.

And then for "leadership support" we have a guy wearing an "A" effectively saying that he doesn't have to play every shift hard...

eugene levy johnny rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It's not like "trying harder" was going to get the teams of the last 10 years any further.

The captain said they were definitely a playoff team...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I get your point about the cavalcade of players.

On the broadcast yesterday - prior to the meltdown - JJ was effusive about how the coaching staff thought Giroux was "leading by example" over the last month.

The worst month of hockey in contemporary memory. Just before the worst meltdown and humiliating loss.

That was the endorsement.

It's not that he's a "bad" leader, it's that he's shown to not have been a particularly good one.

Not his fault - he's been terribly miscast by the organization* and it has not served him well. Had Pronger stuck around a few more years and let G be the playmaking wing he was drafted as and given the opportunity to see how to lead a team things may have been different.

Then the "smartest guys in the room" decided he was a first line center who should wear the C.

I mainly say that his "leading by example" is because he doesn't know any other way to do it - having never been in the position before. OTJ training in the NHL tends to be unforgiving. And it has been.

And then for "leadership support" we have a guy wearing an "A" effectively saying that he doesn't have to play every shift hard...

eugene levy johnny rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Won't disagree with any of that, I still don't interpret what Voracek said the way every person in the universe has though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Won't disagree with any of that, I still don't interpret what Voracek said the way every person in the universe has though.

Have you watched him play the game?

There's no "interpretation" - it's what he does.

You show me a kid in Juniors who says "play 60 minutes" is just a "hockey cliche" and I'll show you a kid at the end of the bench not getting any playing time because the coach is teaching him to "play 60 minutes."

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Regardless of how Jake’s statement was meant to be interpreted, the fact is the way he said it leaves for multi interpretations. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Okay....I'm watching a replay on my DVR from last night RIGHT NOW and its 3-2 Flyers in the 3rd with 4 minutes left....

What Happens?!.....Don't tell me they blow this?!?!

Let's just say - you have to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Have you watched him play the game?

There's no "interpretation" - it's what he does.

You show me a kid in Juniors who says "play 60 minutes" is just a "hockey cliche" and I'll show you a kid at the end of the bench not getting any playing time because the coach is teaching him to "play 60 minutes."

You know I'm over here saying he never takes shifts off. That quote was like throwing red meat to a pack of coyotes.

You also know I'm over it with those two.  Sick of this conversation, sick of the bad teams. I won't miss Voracek, I don't hate him though, nor do I think he was/is terrible. 

• Like 4